Zipp CNC 1450

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

You try this? Looks sweet,.. they are sold out so someone had tried them,, A fully CNC'd prop for $30 sounds really good,..

I just picked CNC1450 up at Zipp dealer in Hobart, IN. I did run very good but I can't pull my plier cup on alum prop. it can easy break so leave only stock. It won't last long "like short time"

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran one this summer and it was the fastest of all the stock props that I have; h7, 1450, 1445. and zip 1450 copper. This was on a JAE .21 with NR 5-port.

i hope it's either thicker or a different alloy than the props andy was doing. i've thrown some blades on the ab props, but only under a big load or very high rpm. aluminum is nice for lightness, but has to be thicker due to flex issues - too much flexing=breaking........

I personally think they are using too hard of an alloy. 7075 is very tough, but I think its more brittle then say 6061 or 5052. Jim Allen would know more on the specifics. Just like turn fins. Everyone uses 7075 and makes them paper thin. Well, you can grab the fin in your hand, and flex it. So I know its flexing with the forces in the water. Why not make them out of say, 5052 and thicken them up to .080. Sure, takes a little more time to sharpen them on the front side, but they dont flex NEAR as much, if at all. I have one I made for a buddy, actually for Anthony here. He is running it, and there is no flex in the fin. And it doesnt drag down the boat, as it tracks straight with no rudder input or toe in. Also, thinking about it, its no more drag, thickness wise, then a rudder.

Anyhow, sorry to get OT. Back to the regularly sheduled program

I personally think they are using too hard of an alloy. 7075 is very tough, but I think its more brittle then say 6061 or 5052. Jim Allen would know more on the specifics. Just like turn fins. Everyone uses 7075 and makes them paper thin. Well, you can grab the fin in your hand, and flex it. So I know its flexing with the forces in the water. Why not make them out of say, 5052 and thicken them up to .080. Sure, takes a little more time to sharpen them on the front side, but they dont flex NEAR as much, if at all. I have one I made for a buddy, actually for Anthony here. He is running it, and there is no flex in the fin. And it doesnt drag down the boat, as it tracks straight with no rudder input or toe in. Also, thinking about it, its no more drag, thickness wise, then a rudder.

Anyhow, sorry to get OT. Back to the regularly sheduled program
we use .080 7075. we bend .060 fins made from 2024.softer aluminum props would just curl the blades back from the horsepower

Steve, good to know. I do know from Mike's G1 and G2, that your guys fins are indeed very stiff. And it also makes for a great handling boat!

I had the opportunity to fix one for a tuner here... I really didnt like the softness and it galled up in my files quickly....maybe treated, there's something.... i've thrown blades off another manufacturer also.... no fun... maybe the little eastern guys could smelt a little more harder alloys..... but... it'd cost ya. ABC, hands down. for now. Mike

Guys,

They look nice, I just haven't had the time to test any once they come

available again.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Mark

If I remember right have been working on this for way over a year and still no props what's up.

Like to see some SS props

Dave

Dave,

It is just time and money and I don't seem to have both at the same time.

CNC is the way to go for sure.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Maybe it's not SS that is the answer. The aluminum is very easy to machine but is soft,.. and may not last in this application.. but is SS too far? What's another option>

Rodney

Cnc machines aren't cheap for a good cnc 4- axis to make props will cost around $250,000.00 and with you can't just make props it has to run 24/7 to pay for itself.

Dave

Dave, have you been smoking those pain pills again???? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: Try moving the decimal point a little to the left. :)

For a full fledged aerospace quality machine, maybe. I was looking at a 4 axis just the other day for under $20,000. That is still a lot of props.

How are you feeling my friend.

Charles

Latest posts

Back