Zen Easy Start

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Law

Hey guys,

Anyone know who sells the Zen easy start kit with the thread boss already machined down that eliminates the need for the spacer?

Thanks,

Marty

Thanks Mike!

Their website doesn't specify if the machine work has been done. I'll have to call Al to confirm.

My concern with doing it myself is I would think the mating surface to the flywheel would have to be perfectly square and flat. Without a lathe or mill, I don't feel confident I could get it correct and not induce a problem.

Marty

It does not have to be perfect. It is not there to hold on the flywheel. I only hand tighten them when I am building a motor. You should be tighting the flywheel with a nut first. They remove it and spin on the pawl.

Just cut it will a hacksaw and file it flat to the surrounding area.
Mike

Thanks Mike!

I guess if I was going to do it myself I would cut off and file flat the thread boss the equivalent of the thickness of the spacer and use blue loctite on the threads to install hand tight as you mentioned. Does that sound like that would be sufficient?

Marty

I do them all the time. Buy them and have them sent here. They will be machined perfectly and forwarded on to you next day.

You want them dead flat and true running. I have a arbor that threads in the front pawl side of them to chuck in lathe. A lathe is the tool you want to use to do the job properly. I true the OD of them a little as well if you want unless it is a stock class engine.

Did this EZ start pawl nut today,

TOPFXsJ.jpg

It was for this cool rear exhaust engine I modded yesterday/today.

oDkCYbO.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Daniel!

I crudely did it how you did it. I made an arbor that threads into the pawl and chucked it in my drill press which I used like a vertical lathe. Came out perfectly.

Thanks all for your input!

Marty

Last edited:
I have a old 57" Ed Barns mono with a G260 PUM and Ballentine HW. I am looking to blow the dust off it this year as its been sitting. I installed a EZ start and if memory is correct I just unscrewed the stock pawl and screwed on the EZ pawl. It sounds like from the above its incorrect. it pulls over fine.... please educate me on the correct installation process, photos would help. Thank you

Hi John,

Yes you can do it that way as long as you use the recoil cover spacer that comes in the kit. If you don't want to use the spacer ( I have hull clearance issues in my situation) you can remove the pawl boss as described above.

Hope this helps...

Marty

That's one way to do it so you should be all set. I will attest the EZ Start is much better than the standard recoil.

Have fun!

Marty

I have a old 57" Ed Barns mono with a G260 PUM and Ballentine HW. I am looking to blow the dust off it this year as its been sitting. I installed a EZ start and if memory is correct I just unscrewed the stock pawl and screwed on the EZ pawl. It sounds like from the above its incorrect. it pulls over fine.... please educate me on the correct installation process, photos would help. Thank you

Haven't seen any old Eddy Barns boats in a long time. That's a blast from the past! Back in the day they were good runners when set up well. Regarding the EZ start, it also depends on what engine and the thickness of the mounts you are using. I use Gizmo mounts and the EZ start kit from Zippkits. Toss the spacer, install the pawl and bolt up the starter. I've had no issues doing it this way on the 5 Zens I have.

Back