wtb .050 tuned pipe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don donikowski

Ok, thought I'd go waay back to childhood and build a cool little hydro with an .050 motor. Settled on Fuji from Mecoa w muffler.
Pretty reasonable at $98 delivered. Now it gets difficult.
I want to push it and use nitro and a tuned pipe. I can't find a small enuff pipe!
Anyone know where I can buy one?
DD

They dont make them. You will have to do it your self. You might be pushing that motor beyond what it was built to do originally. You might have some failures. Good Luck.

They dont make them. You will have to do it your self. You might be pushing that motor beyond what it was built to do originally. You might have some failures. Good Luck.
Hello Mike, not many choices for 1/2a motors. I will push it harder than expected. But...it has 2 ball bearings for crank and Schneurle design., I don't know about rod. I don't think I can get my good amigo Dave Richardson-RPM Rods-to make one for me. He's quite retired.
Since we have no 1/2a class for racing it will have to live life as a "fun boat" We all have a handful of Cox motors but they are even less likely to live and less power.
All in good fun tho. The pipe...I'm not about to make one. Not in my job category. Maybe someone will offer one. Thanx for your reply.
Don

I doubt that porting would benefit from a pipe...

https://www.mecoa.biz/shopexd.asp?id=2494
Perhaps some internal mods (grinding, shaping, timing) would help.?
The little info showing on website makes it hard to project how mods would help.
Have you ever piped the Fuji? It seems quite like older ABC Schneurle style.
I'm open to suggestions. Always raised exhaust timing on Rossis, Piccos etc, flowed sides of cylinders, etc.
Annnd...added more nitro!
Lemme know your thoughts.
Thanx,
Don

I'd just run the muffler and have fun...
I don't know if I can do that. I'm coming out of boat retirement and I'm an old racer. I had the first under a minute heat race in Namba 58.59 seconds-with an X hydro-Daytona and Picco 80 plus my Revenge fuel. Don Maher had same record in IMPBA a few months earlier. At same time I also had A mono record of 87.82 seconds. Both in '92! 1992, not 1892.😁 Yeah I'm old school. I did save my 2 boats for my unretirement. But, my X is probably quite competitive and can run in open gas category. The A is a great Twincraft w Picco P5. I'm ready to rumble as tho I never left hobby. Except noone is racing nitro A monos. I can't let my return be relegated to "fun"! I HAVE TO GO OUT THERE AND THRASH!
All in good fun though. Competition gets in our blood and never leaves. The 1/2a boat is just a start of a new endeavor. Plus I get to hang out with some of my best old friends...and a few ghosts. That is fun. Yeah, I'm HAPPY!
Regards,
Don

Hmmm I have seen where people have cut bigger pipes down and made littler pipes... Used jb weld to create the seam.... Example would be take a pipe like a 3280 or a mac's pipe cut two inches out of the middle of the pipe make sure the rear cone sits inside the front cone ... Fill with jb weld...

Hope that makes sense.... Could try ebay ... There are some small russian motors that might have a pipe small enough... Good luck.

Glenn Quarles used to make 1/2A pipes. I would pick his brain and see how he made the seems. Your motor is more like a 1/4A. Would be easy to make some mandrles on the belt sander and roll up some sheets.
Mike

Glenn Quarles used to make 1/2A pipes. I would pick his brain and see how he made the seems. Your motor is more like a 1/4A. Would be easy to make some mandrles on the belt sander and roll up some sheets.
Mike
Thanx Mike. You're right...1/4a. I'm remembering the old size designation of 1/2A as .049. Half A now means 1/2 of .21.
This is going to be fun. Mandrels etc and JB weld may do the job. I'll look up Glenn.
Thanx,
Don

Don,

I may have a few small custom pipes that I have that may
work for you. If interested give me your address and I will
send them out to you. eBay had a lot of options awhile back.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
231-590-3023
Email: [email protected]

Greetings,
very nice of you to offer them for testing. I am getting my ducks in order designing boat and not yet building it. Soon though.
Hang on to them, I may need to try 'em. I did find a fairly small (.061) pipe but still need to receive motor and move forward.
I may need prop service though, after figuring out what I need.

Thanks Mark.
Don

Don,

Not a problem, I have a pretty nice collection that is growing.
Still trying to find the magic pipe.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Ok, thought I'd go waay back to childhood and build a cool little hydro with an .050 motor. Settled on Fuji from Mecoa w muffler.
Pretty reasonable at $98 delivered. Now it gets difficult.
I want to push it and use nitro and a tuned pipe. I can't find a small enuff pipe!
Anyone know where I can buy one?
DD
Actually, there are at least 2 pipes made for them. One is the CS maybe available from Billy Hughes 630-736-6036
The other is the Profi
https://f2abcd.store.ru/products/30887341Good luck,
Scooter

Don,
Try looking for a Super Tiger pipe like this one. I think the box read .05 to .09

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
Don,
Check out this pipes dimensions. Would they work for your motor. Stinger ID. .290 Cone OD. 1.035. Intake ID. .445

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back