Wood Hull Finishing Questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Santistevan

I am ready to start finishing a JAE 21 FE wood rigger. I would like some advice from folks who have done this to make sure I get the optimal result. The hull came to me with two coats of Klass Kote (rough) on it. I began by wet sanding the entire hull with 400. As I started to get close to breaking the glaze and getting down to the wood I have stopped. However I still have a lot of lows, if I keep sanding I will get down into the wood again. I thought I would test spraying another coat of KK to fill the lows. Unfortunately I would have to paint the entire hull again and resand and repaint. Is there a better way? I have some Z-Poxy finishing resing but I am reluctant to use that because you do not get a super even finish which means a lot of sanding again.

I am hoping some of you wood builders can give me the ins and outs of the process.

Thanks

The key to a good finish starts with the wood.Some plywood has voids try to pick the best side.Then the hull needs to be sanded.I try and get most of the rough grain out but sometimes the wood has voids that wont come out with out sanding tru a layer.I usually put two coats of sealer.I put a coat on then let it dry next day i sand it usually with 220.Then i put another coat on then sand it with 320.After that i put the first coat of clear on then let it dry wet sand it with 400.Now it has most of the lows filled.I put another coat of clear on should look like glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this helps but Blaise gave me some advice on this.

I took a razor blade( holding it upright) and scraped the sealer or covering making the high spots even with the low spots,and it worked.

Tim

I am ready to start finishing a JAE 21 FE wood rigger. I would like some advice from folks who have done this to make sure I get the optimal result. The hull came to me with two coats of Klass Kote (rough) on it. I began by wet sanding the entire hull with 400. As I started to get close to breaking the glaze and getting down to the wood I have stopped. However I still have a lot of lows, if I keep sanding I will get down into the wood again. I thought I would test spraying another coat of KK to fill the lows. Unfortunately I would have to paint the entire hull again and resand and repaint. Is there a better way? I have some Z-Poxy finishing resing but I am reluctant to use that because you do not get a super even finish which means a lot of sanding again.

I am hoping some of you wood builders can give me the ins and outs of the process.

Thanks
To get the surfaces level again, you probably should try to block sand as much of the hull as you can...you dont want to add anymore paint or primer than you have to before you apply the finish coat as this may add unwanted weight to the boat....refinishing a painted boat can take some time and patience, but you can end up with a brand new looking hull if your willing to put in the effort .....sealing the wood is VERY important for the longveity of the hull!

Thanks for the suggestions! Like I said this boat came built (new) with two coats of KK, I blocked it and got rid of all the dust spec and saw dust. The lows are very very thin. But because this is already an expoxy paint I am not sure if I want to shoot more expoxy paint or coat with z-poxy. Like you said I am trying not to add weight to the boat.

D

Thanks for the suggestions! Like I said this boat came built (new) with two coats of KK, I blocked it and got rid of all the dust spec and saw dust. The lows are very very thin. But because this is already an expoxy paint I am not sure if I want to shoot more expoxy paint or coat with z-poxy. Like you said I am trying not to add weight to the boat.

D
Maybe a light coat of KK (nice paint) to seal it back up, scuff it, then a finish coat? If you were back to all bare wood then id say a coat of Zpoxy or similar finishing resin, scuff it up, then shoot a finish coat...is there still some paint showing on the boat?

Latest posts

Back