Why HS-81MG for throttle and third channel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Bowf

Well...looks like the HS-81MG is discontinued...just found this out as I was getting ready to order some servos for a mono I am putting together.

They still have the non-metal gear version of the servo, the HS-81. So, I am curious as to why folks are using a metal gear servo for the throttle and third channel, as opposed to the one that has plastic gears?? Is this a "just in case" kind of thing, or do the plastic geared servos have some sort of a problem that leads to a high fail rate??

Thanks in advance for you input,

Sean

I have had more problems with the 81's and the 81mg's than any other micro servo I have ever used. I started using the 85mg's instead and have had very little to no problems since. Anyway to try to answer your question, in my opinion the plastic geared servos seem to strip the gears when you use the prather silicone seals or the 707 specialties seals.

Cliff

Thanks for your inputs...

I should expand, to say that cost was also something I was looking at, along with availability... :) The non-metal gear servos are cheaper (of course) than the metal geared ones...

I am pretty new to all this, but planned on using radio box seals like these:

aqub9503-2.jpg

Not sure if there is a reason to NOT use these types of seals...???

I will look at the other servo mentioned, and figure out what I am going to do.

Thanks again for your inputs,

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
The HS81 is a really bad servo. Most hated among glider guys. The plastic geared version blows out looking at it wrong, the MG version is weak and burns out.

The HS65mg is an absolute gem of a servo, something like 50 ounces of torque in a smaller package, sliky smooth strong gears too.

The HS81's will burn up if a 6 volt pack hot off the charger is used, plus they have no power.

I've used many of the HS65mg's, they are the servo of choice among mini rc helis. Believe me, the HS65MG totally outperforms even the larger HS85mg.

yeah, I have atleast 6-8 81MG'S that are toast. I switched to the 85MG's and havent had any problem with them yet.

~James

I've used them for a long time. They will burn out in a year or so.. But I really haven't had much problems with them.

Forget the 81s. They're junk!

It's the old, pay me now, or pay me later thing.

I have a zip-loc bag full of junk 81s. Metal, or nylon gears,don't make a difference.

They're both trash. I switched to Futaba and have had no more issues.

Never tried the 85s.The 81s left a bad taste in my mouth.

I also run 6 volts and have no intention of switching to 4v.

ditto on the 81's..... now I know Why I blew 3 of them..... I switched to 6 volts!

I guess that explains why they discontinued the servo... I haven't had a chance to look at the specs on the other servos mentioned here...but will. Thanks for the inputs.

Sean

For Sale!

Large baggie full of HS81 Servos. Slight burnt plastic smell but if you keep the baggie sealed it's not too bad.

Best offer ;) :D

LOL!

The HS81's and the thin 125 and 5125 wing servos are both junk. We call them "Homing pigeons", because they ALWAYS make their way back to Hitec! LOL

I have switched over to the 85's also they seem to hold up better.

I have had more problems with the 81's and the 81mg's than any other micro servo I have ever used. I started using the 85mg's instead and have had very little to no problems since. Anyway to try to answer your question, in my opinion the plastic geared servos seem to strip the gears when you use the prather silicone seals or the 707 specialties seals.
Cliff

there was a thread on here about hs 81's. the info was the newer ones with red, black/brown & YELLOW wires were junk. the older red, black & white wire ones were said to be ok. i have an older version that's about 4 years old, still going strong. doesn't help much, in today's market, just fyi stuff..........

Back