Why did you stop racing?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CokeaColaGuy

Supporting Member
I'm a member of a fairly large RC club, but i have noticed this year that activity has fallen off. Myself included. My reason has been that I have a busy person life with family responsibilities. I'm looking for input if anyone has any ideas that would help increase boat turn out at the boat races.

I'm a member of a fairly large RC club, but i have noticed this year that activity has fallen off. Myself included. My reason has been that I have a busy person life with family responsibilities. I'm looking for input if anyone has any ideas that would help increase boat turn out at the boat races.
Three of the biggest reasons I know of for people dropping out are the cost of going to races, cost of parts to build or repair boats and club politics.

In my other hobbies, I have to travel at times across many states. Gas, hotels and restaurants add up very quickly and can make a race weekend financially undoable. In a road trip last summer from Seattle to Wichita and back the wife and I spent almost $2500 in food, gas and hotels. This didn't count the cost of the hotel and food while in Wichita. On top of that, you also have to take into consideration the lost pay. This brings the trip up to around $4000.

We all know how much it costs to put a boat on the water so I won't go into that any further

Club politics can drive people out of the hobby in many ways. A group getting calls perceived to be more favorable to them or rules changed to make a legal boat illegal can push people out of the club very quickly. Let's look at the scale 1973 Pay N' Pak. If club rules state that the owner only needs photo verification of the boat on the water in a specific configuration to be legal, the boat could run with a cowl over the engine since it did at 4 race sites and without tails or wing since it did that at one race site. Change the rule to require the boat to run in it's most recognised form, now it must run WITHOUT a cowl and MUST HAVE the tails and wing. Take this example one step further. I just drove all day to compete at a race in another state. My boat is a cowled Pak which is legal in my club. I get to the race and am told I MUST have a dummy engine and the cowl isn't legal. Now what? Do I pack up and drive home, file a protest or what? These kinds of things could stop me from going to that race and maybe stop racing all together.

Last edited by a moderator:
I simply got bored of it.

Way to many classes with way to many three boat and mix matched heats is probably the #1 reason for me.

To add to that being forced to run only four heats for the weekend due to all the classes .

Tim

My wife hooked up with one of my oldest race buddies... well not such a buddy after all! Bob

thanks for all your guys honest reply's just trying to think of ways to keep the hobby growing and keep people interested in our club. Especially Hydro Junkie i thought it was very insightful.

In about 2 months the ice is going to stop me...Till next spring.
smile.gif

Glad i am down in Fla now no problem with anyone making classes oh yes politics i dont get into it i come to have fun if i get a trophy so be it wife is running now and high points her class in second place, yes economy is bad going to get worse if i cant make the away races i sure be at ones close to home.

#1 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

#2 Time

#3 I would rather be at home then put up with some of the bad attitudes...

BB

I have actually wanted to get into racing for a while now, but there are a couple reasons why I haven't yet. 1st is expense, I just can't justify the money. 2nd, there are no clubs near me, I beleive the nearest active group is in Evansville which is 3 hours away. And 3rd, my gut feeling tells me most races would be like my experiences with adult league basketball and softball...too many cliques, cronies, and knuckleheads. Someday, when the gods of fortune smile upon me I hope to do some racing, until then I'll just play and have fun.

Glad i am down in Fla now no problem with anyone making classes oh yes politics i dont get into it i come to have fun if i get a trophy so be it wife is running now and high points her class in second place, yes economy is bad going to get worse if i cant make the away races i sure be at ones close to home.
Me too Robert! After reading some of the responses to this post, i guess that weve been very lucky...we are even getting 100+ boats at our little ol one day races! And 99% of the people are just GREAT! There is always that 1 percent no matter what hobby were involved in...I think there is just a little more laid back attitude about the hobby here in Fla. Not that tempers dont flare up once in a while, but thats just the nature of racing.Im with you on the politics..and if there is any, i sure dont seem to notice it.It can be an expensive hobby, but these days even goin fishin can cost a bundle!Its about havin fun and thats all that matters to me!

With 3 boys and working like I did.... not enough time or money plus hard to do with the boys when there not exactly interested in toy boats yet.

Maybe we need another post "what do we have change to get you back racing at our club or Dist races?"

Ed

With 3 boys and working like I did.... not enough time or money plus hard to do with the boys when there not exactly interested in toy boats yet.

Maybe we need another post "what do we have change to get you back racing at our club or Dist races?"

Ed
Do we really want to open up that can of worms Ed?

Huh? Not enough time and money? Ok this hobby costs money and racing cost more money than "playing around" I race both 1/8 scale hydroplanes and 1/8 scale buggies. I also have children and a wife!! I used to be as busy as most of you guys but I found the solution: I started working from home and builded my own income so I could really fire my boss! I know it sounds like a fairytail but it really really works and I am will ing to help you guys because for us recession is a hoax by politicians and media. LEt me know if you want my help cause life is fun and too short! Sent me a pm for help.

Why not? I think its the better question really.To help the Hobby get better.

Ed

You need to go on and try a race at the Evansville clubv they put on some very good races.

Especially if you can afford a room there are lots of choices for hotels at their site that are affordable. Great group of guys running the race and racing.

I have actually wanted to get into racing for a while now, but there are a couple reasons why I haven't yet. 1st is expense, I just can't justify the money. 2nd, there are no clubs near me, I beleive the nearest active group is in Evansville which is 3 hours away. And 3rd, my gut feeling tells me most races would be like my experiences with adult league basketball and softball...too many cliques, cronies, and knuckleheads. Someday, when the gods of fortune smile upon me I hope to do some racing, until then I'll just play and have fun.

You need to go on and try a race at the Evansville clubv they put on some very good races.

Especially if you can afford a room there are lots of choices for hotels at their site that are affordable. Great group of guys running the race and racing.

Thanks Bill, you're right, I have met some of the guys from the Evansville area, they are a nice group and seem to have a well run club. I've met a few nice folks from Madison too. I just can't fund the effort right now, maybe next year.

Scott

Thanks Bill, you're right, I have met some of the guys from the Evansville area, they are a nice group and seem to have a well run club. I've met a few nice folks from Madison too. I just can't fund the effort right now, maybe next year.

Scott
Scott, Madison lake is only an hour and a half away from you. We have fun runs along with races just come down and have fun.

Don

Scott
Scott, Madison lake is only an hour and a half away from you. We have fun runs along with races just come down and have fun.

Don

Don, you forgot to tell him the most important part, Come have fun and eat. We always have the grill fired up...

BB

Those 3 are good start.

It does go deeper than that in our club.

"NITRO VERSUS GAS" seems to be another problem.Nitro guys would rather not race than conform to running gas.

We changed from Sat races to Sunday races to get people back and that hasn't worked so well,even though the majority voted on it, I don't get it!!!!!

Taking Vacation time to attend out of town racing and the money up front to get 4-6 boats ready for race, takes its toll.Get run over by another boat and lose a $65.00 Prop.....Priceless!!!!

Tim Jones

#1 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

#2 Time

#3 I would rather be at home then put up with some of the bad attitudes...

BB

Back