Why did you stop racing?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We changed from Sat races to Sunday races to get people back and that hasn't worked so well,even though the majority voted on it, I don't get it!!!!!
Tim, for the record, when the club first switched to Saturdays the attendance was excellent, you even had Maryland guys making the drive down to join in because they'd race Saturday not caring how late they got back since they could chill out on Sunday. The same applied for us Richmond area guys as the Sunday thing is a killer, by the time I got home and unloaded everything it was like 8:30 or 9pm and getting up @ 5am the next day was a drag. The attendance started falling off when gas hit $4 a gallon and then continued when the economy began it's current tanking........ :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
The attendance started falling off when gas hit $4 a gallon and then continued when the economy began it's current tanking........

BINGO Thats the killer, not much let over in the budget for new boats or long trips to races. I have not traveled as long as I used to either. I will still race, It is a way of life. You guys dont give up, race when you can and play as much as possible.

A RC boat race is more than just a race, it is an event where you socialize, eat, make friends, eat, learn what types of boats are popular with this club, eat, figure out what types of boats that YOU enjoy, eat, learn about whats new and very important, learn how a race is run.

You do not have to run a boat to enjoy the outing, especially in the beginning.

Charles

Don

I wasn't knocking the out of town attendess, and wasn't intending to when I was thinking about Sat versus sunday.When the club was talking about changing days I never heard the good point you brought up(and my neglect for not thinking about it myself). My appologies if I offended anyone.

Now to something we all can agree.,.... LETS GO RACING EVERBODY,YOUR ON THE CLOCK>>>>>>>>

Tim

We changed from Sat races to Sunday races to get people back and that hasn't worked so well,even though the majority voted on it, I don't get it!!!!!
Tim, for the record, when the club first switched to Saturdays the attendance was excellent, you even had Maryland guys making the drive down to join in because they'd race Saturday not caring how late they got back since they could chill out on Sunday. The same applied for us Richmond area guys as the Sunday thing is a killer, by the time I got home and unloaded everything it was like 8:30 or 9pm and getting up @ 5am the next day was a drag. The attendance started falling off when gas hit $4 a gallon and then continued when the economy began it's current tanking........ :ph34r:

A RC boat race is more than just a race, it is an event where you socialize, eat, make friends, eat, learn what types of boats are popular with this club, eat, what types of boats that YOU enjoy, eat, learn about whats new and very important, learn how a race is run.

You do not have to run a boat to enjoy the outing, especially in the beginning.

Charles
AND THATS EXACTLY WHY I RACE MODEL BOATS!! :) :) :)

Don

I wasn't knocking the out of town attendess, and wasn't intending to when I was thinking about Sat versus sunday.When the club was talking about changing days I never heard the good point you brought up(and my neglect for not thinking about it myself). My appologies if I offended anyone.

Now to something we all can agree.,.... LETS GO RACING EVERBODY,YOUR ON THE CLOCK>>>>>>>>

Tim

Tim no offense taken at all my friend and that's not how my reply was meant. This economy is a real problem right now as I know of at least 6 people I have raced with who lost their jobs since last fall......... :(

Ya racing is fun, socialize, eat and just have fun, if you win or not

Don

Tim

Tim no offense taken at all my friend and that's not how my reply was meant. This economy is a real problem right now as I know of at least 6 people I have raced with who lost their jobs since last fall......... :(
As much as i wish that things were going to get better, sadly its not looking like they are....especially with what this administration of morons is trying to do...whats the unemployment rate up to now?? 9.7 percent? One can only hope that things will get better i guess....God help me....i just made a political comment!

I HAVE BEEN OUT FOR 10 YEAR'S

Just started back this year , my real freind's kept me as a freind even for 10 year's I was out.

Now there is no politics in our club , just fun

Maybe I will enjoy it like I did the the first 15 years

thank you

Rick Reisinger

Driftwood Model Boat Club

Ft Wayne Indiana

I was going to quit this year,, heck my first Nats in July was going to be my last race,, but it may not be.

The Nats were really fun,, a terrific show of model boating to be sure, I would recommend atleast attending

as a spectator if nothing else.

I thinks its mostly "my patiences" thats the bigger problem,, its just much harder to keep things up and

operating propperly without bunch of cussing all the time. I'm thinking more of keeping my ass outa hell

than anything else nowdays.

I intended not to race anymore due to my health. Then I took a sleep study and I found out that I have severe cases of sleep abneia and restless leg syndrome. Now I have better energy but I have other physical conditions that are slowing me down. However I went to my first race this year @ Huber Winery and took home 3rd place in B Sport Tunnel and 2nd place in B Hydro. I just a bought a scale and looking forward to racing in fall race. Thanks to efforts of my sponser and team backing me.

I was going to quit this year,, heck my first Nats in July was going to be my last race,, but it may not be.

The Nats were really fun,, a terrific show of model boating to be sure, I would recommend atleast attending

as a spectator if nothing else.

I thinks its mostly "my patiences" thats the bigger problem,, its just much harder to keep things up and

operating propperly without bunch of cussing all the time. I'm thinking more of keeping my ass outa hell

than anything else nowdays.

Jerry, cussing is essential to good health. The more cuss words that you know and the ability to string them together in the same sentence, without taking a breath, helps relieve all of those pent up frustrations that accumulate while you are building, running or repairing your boats.

After my first heart attacks, my cardiologist was going over the do's and don't's of life after the attacks. One of the questions that she asked was did I keep my frustrations inside and not let them out. I let out a very big laugh and her response was, that was what I thought.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

When you really get good at this, you can do it without saying the words out loud, just a few mumbles, grunts, snorts and groans.

Charles

Charles,

I can see it now, a new self help book called "CUSSING YOUR WAY TO PERFECT HEALTH" :lol: :lol:

Don :)

( When you really get good at this, you can do it without saying the words out loud, just a few mumbles, grunts, snorts and groans.) :lol: :lol:

That's about all my kids here from me anymore, sure lets out the stress.

Wish this thread was in the general forum as it does address some good points. Maybe it could be included to say "what brings you to races."

We all know the ecomomy is the #1 reason for any decline. That said how can hosting clubs take this into consideration? Here in FL we are seeing an increase in participation at one day events and 2 day races not as full. Can the price of a hotel/motel effect one's decision to travel? I think that may be the straw that breaks the camels back for some people. Especially here where the general furthest race is 2-3 hours travel. I tend to rather get up early, drive to a race and make one long day, rather than tie up a whole weekend. If clubs divided the classes and run 4 heats in one day for half the classes and 4 the next day for the rest we might see a few fringe guys make the race for one day or the other. The split would logically be along gas and nitro lines. The people with both were probably going to be there for both days anyway. Nice thing for instance if my half my boats were done the first day I could pack em up and concentrate on the rest for the next day. Your focus is better this way in my opinion. Kind of like the NAMBA nationals or IMPBA Internats. We have the Winternats here in FL and running classes this way would make it easier to convince out of town families to come if they had a day or two that they could do other family vacation things. Spouses are not all avid race fans. Just my thoughts on multi day races.

Another draw for me is specialty races like the tunnel champs or other national events. I will drive and pay more expenses to run in fields of 20 or more boats rather than local race where same 5 or 6 people show up and 5 others stay home. Sometimes it takes a big event to make people focus their resourses.

My 2 cents.

Mic

Back