Who wants to run Kneelers at the 2012 Tunnel Champs?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I support a simple 20 Kneeler Class similar to the Sport B Tunnel class, must run a Nitro 20 motor with factory exhaust, have a driver figure, and no electric boats allowed in it the class. Open cockpit, otherwise it does not reflect the vintage real deal. I will be bringing a kneeler as described here, and will also run 20 OB Hydro to defend my WTC class title, if the class makes again. If you want to run an electric Kneeler, then run them in the P Spec class with the required motor and ESC or open FE class if they have non-p spec powertrain components. I for one am tiring of mixing FE and Nitro in any calss except a true OPEN anything goes class, two different birds in a cage is not good a good thing. Beasley. BTW, I have four FE boats, and run P Spec and Open FE so I am not anti-FE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew this was gonna go over my head. . .

I vote for Open Kneeler, so anyone with a sport, mod, or FE can enter. Grow the class before limiting I feel. Must have driver or newer closed capsule. No sponson or bottom mods, just striaght up 3 point. . .

And if it can't be a kneeler class, then Open OB Hydro you can enter what ya want? ? ?
Amen. No need for all these rules and regulations about transom inset, power size, or any of that other garbage. Let's face facts, this class has never taken hold at the World Champs and the amount of boats actually built that would actually attend and run at the World Champs are few at best in comparison to the other classes entered. All the talk is different from actual entry numbers.

Practice KISS: Keep it simple stupid.

This class is intended to be a fun run class so go for the Open Kneeler class label. Just like Open tunnel that many love running, you'll get gas mixed with electric and nitro boats ranging from the .21-.67+ engine size displacement racing it out in a "Run Whatcha Brung" style class. Most of these guys are just looking for an outlet to race their kneelers that they precariously built because most races don't offer them. Don't limit people from bringing their O/B kneelers if they have one already built at home because filling the class so there is a variety of competition is already going to be difficult enough. I'm guessing, even with that label, you'll probably be lucky to get 10-12 boats signed up.

Like Doug said, the only restrictions should be, the boat has to be built in the spirit of a kneeler (hydro design),it should have a driver as a way of capturing the spirit of the class, and the power plant used must function as an outboard per whatever set of rules the CMB club decides to classify an outboard given the recent discussions. Nitro, gas and electric engines are all welcome.

Don't create barriers of entry and limit the class's potential success. Run it this way this year, see who shows up and what styles and sizes of boats enter, and then re-evaluate for next year and if there was significant participation from a certain niche of kneelers, then maybe set up a specific class designated for them at the 2013 race.

You never know, we might even have a kneeler or two to throw in the mix. :ph34r: ;)

~Jr.

John,

It looks like making a Kneeler Class will not be a problem. I personally hope you offer the 20 OB Hydro class as well to see what entries you end up with. Between Beasley, Stebbins, and I, looks like you already have three of those as well. Thanks........... ;)

No real harm in offering all of the classes that I can see. If they make the cut, great - if not, no harm no foul.

~ James

I agree with Tony and Gabe,

offer all classes listed and see what happens, the ones that don't make it, then put them in their respective alternate class that does make it.

So let me get this straight on OB Hydro. I can still run my JD Kneeler in this class in addition to the kneeler class, if so I will run both classes. I'm comin to play this year.

John, when are you going to open the entries :D

I agree with Tony and Gabe,

offer all classes listed and see what happens, the ones that don't make it, then put them in their respective alternate class that does make it.

So let me get this straight on OB Hydro. I can still run my JD Kneeler in this class in addition to the kneeler class, if so I will run both classes. I'm comin to play this year.

John, when are you going to open the entries :D
We always announce the race and open entries in January after the holidays. I am sure we will do the same for the next race. I am swamped with the internats preperations besides. Be patient it will come.

Are you gonna offer all the classes and see what happens?

Yep, that would be the plan I would think.

Here is someones kneeler on full P FE power. Got some handling issues, but its pretty quick. big boat too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl58hVEFg6c&feature=related

Here are some I built in 35", 41" and 52" gas size. The bigger ones were just for fun. Air reliefs dont work, and skid fin placement is key! Mike

IMGP0447.jpg

IMGP0483.jpg

DSCF1568Large.jpg

The big 52"

IMGP0275Large.jpg

IMGP0096Large.jpg

Thanks, that was built to look like the capsule type O/B hydros that run full size. Mike

Finally got some time to take a pic of my new kneeler, love it.

Where can I get and driver?

IMG_2751 - Copy.JPG

See if you can find a 2" plastic Easter Egg and cut the bottom off at a slant. Paint it orange. Use a balsa wood block to make the shoulders. Glue the helmet to the shoulder.

Is that a Blackwell?

JD

Man those boats look killer ! How bout this ol pic of a younger ( thinner ! ) Tom ! What is the sizing on your hulls ? Sorry if i crashed your thread Doug !! :p

f09mpx.jpg

Love the pic Tom, must have been a blast to drive one of those.

Jerry, i bought this biat from Tim Leyde and I think it is your design?

I agree with the easter egg build, but i am not the best builder in the world. Can one be bought from somewere, or does someone want to build me one?

Back