Who accepts AMA ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Jones

Howdy y'all ,

I'm new to the organized boating world. I've mostly lurked around the past few years. I was wondering how many of you guys' local clubs (in North America, that is) accept AMA member's insurance for races?

I know that the AMA says we're OK and covered, but it seems that it is more accepted to be an IMPBA or NAMBA member. What's the real deal? Is it mandatory at your races/site?

Thanks for any comments. I'm not trying to start any kind of turf war, I just want to hear the options out there, if there are any. Thanks!

-Joey

Hey Joey, the simple answer is that you will need either IMPBA or NAMBA insurance to run at a IMPBA or NAMBA event. Your AMA insurance may cover you for fun running at a local pond but not an organized race in the US.

Glenn

Unless AMA has changed their coverage in the last couple of years, I think you'll find that theirs is a secondary policy. AMA will only cover what your homeowners insurance doesn't.

Both IMPBA and NAMBA have primary policies, meaning that their insurance covers you prior to your homeowners taking a hit. Even if you don't race, membership is worth the investment.

Thanks Glenn and Patrick. That's pretty much what I gather after reading the insurance document (AMA) several times too many. Leagalese isn't my strong suit. Thanks again.

-Joey

Back