Where is my paintjob going?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitaccio

I just finished painting my boat (wooden). The paint is coming off eavh time I pull up my hatch tape. Anything that I can do to stop this?

ok dude i'll try to help. what kind of paint exactly did you use? what did you do, if anything, to prep the wood as far as priming/sealing before painting it? was it ever run or did it get water, fuel, or anything else on it before painting it? be specific, the more details the better.... and is it electric power or gas/nitro?

I preped the wood with two coats of sanding sealer, then did three light coats of krylon primer. I allowed 24 hours between coats for drying, and used 600 grit paper to smoothen it out. Then did two coats of krylon sun yellow. It is an electric and won't see fuel. The hatch tape comes from Fullers.

First by sanding or stripping evrythng off. Get that wood sealer sanded down into as well. Clean it w/a wax and degreaser. Then go get really good primer from an automotive paint store. This stuff will adhere to the wood and won't pull off with the tape. Once you do this your probably better off to do a simple paint job because rattle can can be sensitive to tape. The automotive stores can mix good paint and put it into rattle cans for you, it's expensive but worth it.

rcboats2 is pretty much right on. you're probably going to have to take at least the affected areas down to the wood. then use a primer and paint with a stronger bond, or roughen up the surface a little more and try again.

the best tape is 3M brand

just a after thought, is the paint pulling off the primer? or is the paint AND primer pulling off the sealer?

Also, how are you pulling the tape off???? Iv'e seen paint come off fromthe tape just being pulled off. Gotta do it easy. I pull it at an angle and across from what I,ve laid and get good results that way.

i once owned a boat that had a very nice Imron paint scheme that did that, there wasnt really anything i could do....oh yea, the point of my post :p :D ....you may not have layed the paint down badly at all, because im SURE that boat had been done well [aka not by me!], and maybe just thinning some epoxy and putting a very thin coat along the edges will work.

Joe

Hi Guy's

This one reason I like fglass. Besides that if you do a wood hull I wouldn't bother with a wood sealer just a couple of good coats of epoxy - well sanded - and then prep with a good primer and paint as usual. No 1 tip you cannot use too much Prepsol (grease and wax remover) when your trying to prep for painting. Sounds like a sand of and try again to me - it's a pain of a job but I've had to do it on other boats (other peoples) so they can be apinted properly.

Keep at it.

GT 8)

Back