what you think about this

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, NOW you come out with a new design just as mine is ready to hit the water! :D Lots of room to install everything up front which is helpful for those of us with fat fingers. OK, mine only feel fat when working in tight places or on a keyboard. I miss/don't miss the front wing. The wing adds a little something to the hull yet is a challenge to install. I really like the look of the Sport 20's little overhang on the front.

Did you add some sheet ply to the bottom of the sponsons?

I tried to post some pix of mine finished in the Gallery but they aren't taking, I might have to e-mail them to you.

15Sport40-1-med.jpg

Phil

Good looking boat. your customers will love you for the open center section. I stole that idea from a local scale racer.

One thing I noticed is the turnfin mounting, it seems like the water would come up against the bottom of the sponson and lift the right side. My new prototypes have had a similar location but are mounted on a bracket to get the water away from the hull.

Good luck

Mark

Mark Anderson said:
PhilGood looking boat. your customers will love you for the open center section. I stole that idea from a local scale racer.

One thing I noticed is the turnfin mounting, it seems like the water would come up against the bottom of the sponson and lift the right side. My new prototypes have had a similar location but are mounted on a bracket to get the water away from the hull.

Good luck

Mark

100450[/snapback]

Hey Mark thanks, I was concerned about that too. The turn fin is far enogh out that it will not spray water on the rear trip. This is what i did on the Supersport21 boat I started racing last year and it worked ok.

I have been gathering ideas and thoughts on this project for about 5 years, my head hurts. Hard to make a good thing better somtimes. :eek:

PHIL T

Phil,

Have you run it against a ss45? Hows it compare? BTW I bought a ss45 used. I didn't get any paperwork with it though. Woujd you know anyone that could help me out paperwork wise? :D ;) ;) Thanks

Mike Stewart said:
Phil,Have you run it against a ss45? Hows it compare? BTW I bought a ss45 used. I didn't get any paperwork with it though. Woujd you know anyone that could help me out paperwork wise? :D   ;)   ;) Thanks

100502[/snapback]

Well if you got it used it must be assembled already ,yes?, no?

The paperwork mainly deals with whats used for all the hardware and assembly.

Some prop suggestions and strut height. I think the front radio box runs better, I've had both set-ups in two different boats. Engines with Big torque like the Picco 45 "Blackhead" can run the Octura 1455, that's what I'm using now and that motor is a Beast, engines with less torque will like the X450 or the Prather 240. I have my strut set at 13/16ths from the bottom of the hull to the center of the strut shaft "bulge", no angle, perdy much straight back. Turn fin alignment is perdy critical, that thing has to be absolutely straight ahead and perdy close to straight down, I "tilt" mine "in" a little at the bottom (as viewed from the rear) to allow for future bending of the turn fin, which they all have to a degree.

Have the propper amount of "play" between the "drive dog" and the rear of the strut to allow for "shortening" of the flex shaft under power :)

Also: I have 5 1/2oz's of lead in the left (or on) sponson so I can correct steer to the left somewhat without lifting the left sponson so much using the Mike Huges turn Fin, it helps a bunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Stewart said:
Phil,Have you run it against a ss45? Hows it compare? BTW I bought a ss45 used. I didn't get any paperwork with it though. Woujd you know anyone that could help me out paperwork wise? :D   ;)   ;) Thanks

100502[/snapback]

e-mail Phil at [email protected]

he can forward on directions. They come in handy. I have them but would have to mail them to you. I changed computers and don't have my hard drive moved yet.

Mike Stewart said:

100502[/snapback]

I can copy you the setup info You need to email me so i can send attachments to you

Jerry Wyss said:
Also: I have 5 1/2oz's of lead in the left (or on) sponson so I can correct steer to the left somewhat without lifting the left sponson so much using the Mike Huges turn Fin, it helps a bunch.
100512[/snapback]

One of the most important things about setting the Super Sport 45 up is the turn fin alignment straight front to back, tweaked in at the rear just a little will really help too with the sensitive to left turn problems.

ALSO set up the radio ATV on the rudder to 100% right and 30-40% left, which means when you steer left all the boat will do is veer in that direction not spin around.

Rokieboater said:
When can we get one and how much will they be?
101693[/snapback]

I will be racing and testing the new boat this season. If I am happy with it it should be for sale later this summer.

The price will be the same as the Super Sport 45 I make and sell now $295

Thanks PHIL T

Phil wrote:

"ALSO set up the radio ATV on the rudder to 100% right and 30-40% left, which means when you steer left all the boat will do is veer in that direction not spin around."

I never had a problem with the boat "spinning" out or around, Just a "Smoking Launch" into the Sky! :lol:

I have 5 1/2 ounces on the Top/Front, "left" sponson, cause tryin' to steer left just a little will "lift" the "Left" sponson. I don't have to let up on the throttle so much now with the lead there.

I didn't get to run it too much at the last Dist race, I've been tryin' to use a "CB" carb (made for 11cc) on the Picco Blackhead and I haven't found the "sweet spot"

on the needle for that pond. I'll get it at the next Club race,,it's kinda like "Rocket"

accelleration a little on the Wild Side, it's Cool :lol: :lol:

HA Jerry, If you blow off it must be fast, usually dont have much problem till it gets over 60 mph.

You wrote:

"I have my strut set at 13/16ths from the bottom of the hull to the center of the strut shaft "bulge", no angle, perdy much straight back. Turn fin alignment is perdy critical, that thing has to be absolutely straight ahead and perdy close to straight down,"

Do you mean that the strut sits flat on the table? some angle is needed usually.

Most of the problems with left turns lifting the boat comes from the turn fin alignment. Next time out tweak the rear of the fin in toward the hull a bit,even over do it and see how it acts in a left turn.

Hey thanks Phil, I'll set it up that way tomorrow nite, I think we'll be testin' The Monsta' Saturday. It like's the volume of air that Carb provide's, needle is just critical to getting down to a range where you can slow down a little for the start, in case that happens. I had it set right for my test pond and got lost with the needle on race day.

Rokieboater said:
Phil,When can we get one????

101844[/snapback]

I will be racing and testing the new boat this season. If I am happy with it it should be for sale later this summer.

If anyone is waiting for this new one dont hold your breath till it comes. :lol:

The SuperSport45 I have been selling is going to be hard to beat anytime soon.

P THOMAS said:
HA Jerry,  If you  blow off  it must be fast,  usually dont have much problem till it gets over 60 mph.
You wrote:

"I have my strut set at 13/16ths from the bottom of the hull to the center of the strut shaft "bulge", no angle, perdy much straight back. Turn fin alignment is perdy critical, that thing has to be absolutely straight ahead and perdy close to straight down,"

Do you mean that the strut sits flat on the table?  some angle is needed usually.

Most of the problems with  left turns lifting the boat comes from the turn fin alignment.  Next time out  tweak the rear of the  fin in toward the hull a bit,even over do it and see how it acts in a left turn.

101802[/snapback]

Hi Phil, After many day's of rain we finally got out to run Two of your SS45 boats, My old "Caterpillar" and one that I have that came from Lohring Miller. It was a good day, both boats ran well,,"Caterpillar" is the boat that was retrieved from the bottom of the pond a couple months ago by a pair of divers. I had angled the fin "out" slightly(vertically) toward the first turn bouy (so to speak) and that was the ticket,, can turn left like a "Touring Car"now. We both (Jim Hill and I) still have 5 to 6 ounces of lead on the left sponsons that seems to work for us,,Is this common??

Jerry, you kind of answered some questions that I had about my SS45. Dave Homer and I took mine out Sunday to get her dialed in. She was haulin' pretty good across flat water whe she decided to go for the air. I didn't know about adding the weight in until I talked to Phil Monday night. I asked him about strut angle also. There is angle shown on the plans but I had my strut angled in just a touch, a degree or two. I don't want it to blow over again (but you know that it'll happen). I have to hit the LHS for some lead weights before going out again with it.

The boat launched level skyward but I'll place the lead in the right sponson or would right by the front fuel cell be okay? I have the midship mounted radio box. Any tips on this or any other things would be greatly appreciated.

The strut depth and angle determine the ride of the boat. If it is running loose it will blow off at higher speeds 60+ or in gusty winds. If it is pushing water in the front on calm water it is set to tight.

Usually you will find a setting that is good for all conditions and only need to add some bow weight to keep it on the water.

Letting it run as loose as possible is the key to having a faster boat that still finishes races. I have seen many that need some weight in the front left sponosn tip, as that side is the one that tends to run lighter on the water.

Everyones boat will be setup a bit different as to what rudders or struts they use, so this changes the final settings. I give you all the info I have on what to use and how to get it setup close, the fine tuning still has to be done.

PHIL

Ron Olson said:
Jerry, you kind of answered some questions that I had about my SS45. Dave Homer and I took mine out Sunday to get her dialed in. She was haulin' pretty good across flat water whe she decided to go for the air. I didn't know about adding the weight in until I talked to Phil Monday night. I asked him about strut angle also. There is angle shown on the plans but I had my strut angled in just a touch, a degree or two. I don't want it to blow over again (but you know that it'll happen). I have to hit the LHS for some lead weights before going out again with it.The boat launched level skyward but I'll place the lead in the right sponson or would right by the front fuel cell be okay? I have the midship mounted radio box. Any tips on this or any other things would be greatly appreciated.

103295[/snapback]

Hey Ron, Your talkin' "strut" and I'm talkin' about the "turn FIN". A "left turn" of any kind will result in the lifting of the "LEFT" sponson with the Mike Hughes turn fin that I'm using,, a straight angled FIN will do a similar manuever but not as dramatic,, Hence, the added weight to the left sponson to stop it from lifting too far. I have my "Strut" angled somewhat to the left as viewed from the rear to help from steering left so much but you still have to,, I think everybody does based on what I've seen,,even with the Anderson "Mutt"

Hey I just finished up a little rebuild of a used SuperSport45 I got from Ken H.

Replaced the motor mount with a new Speedmaster universal mount. Redid the strut mount and installed a new flex shaft tube. not much else needed to be done.

Took it out to test today and it ran really well, turned smooth and had good speed.

I was using the Mac45 and the silver 45 muffled pipe, 1455 prop, got it going 58 59 and then I leaned it out some it would go 60- 61 every time around, tops 61.4.

It would mill half speed around and go back on the pipe ok so I hope it will be ready for the racing at Evansville.

Back