What was your very first car? Post a pic and tell the #1 story on it!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 15 years old I saved up money from my summer job at a lakeside boat dock and campground and bought me a 62 Plymouth Belvedere, 318 2 bbl push Button automatic. Paid $75 for it from a waitress that worked at the local drugstore ice cream bar. It was her husbands who had died a few years back. This would have been I think 1972. I had also saved up $400 to get her painted dark red. I drove it to the local Chevy dealership because they had the best paint shop in town and picked my color out of a chip book, blood red. I came back in a couple of weeks to check on it and one of the bodymen said "we just finshed painting it, its in the booth drying, come on back and I'll show you, it came out real nice". I was super excited and when he opened the side door I thought I had been transported to the face of the sun! It was fire engine red, no where close to the color I had picked out. I had a heart attack! I went and found the shop foreman with whom I had picked out the chip color and ask WTX had happened, I wanted blood red and I got fire truck red? He told me "Oh, the parts store did not have that color so I got the next closest thing". Needless to say I was pissed, wound up having a big fight with the dealer to get it repainted and they would not budge, but I did get it for half price after my dad got in the owners face. So, the car was jinxed from the beginning. Even before I picked it up from the paint shop things got worse as the battery had gone dead in the paint shop so they put a mega-boost battery box on it (I think in reverse polarity) and burnt up the wiring harness. We had to tow it home and they denied messing it up and refused to fix it. I had a whole lot of more bad luck with the car and blew the motor up running it without oil pressure due the the wiring harness mess. I could never get the oil pressure idiot light to go out after that, and as bad luck would have it the oil pump pickup screen got clogged up with globs of Quaker State non-detergent oil (that was what the original ownwer used) . I made the novice mistake of cleaning the top end and letting the sludge run down into the oil pan, thinking it would all drain out when I changed the oil. Not! But, it was a fun and cool looking car with bright red paint, air shocks and Mickey Thompson L60s on 14 inch wide chrome reverse rims and baby moon hub caps. I was coooool for a while. That was my first car. James Beasley, MOPAR fanatic ever since.

62 Ply Belvedere.bmp

Attachments

• 62 Ply Belvedere.bmp
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was a 1991 MR2. Black on Black. I upgraded the stock 14" Wheels to 17" on low, low, low profile 17/35/225 Tires. I am told I could have went to 18" Wheels though. It was a non-turbo but I had the engine rebuilt with forged pistons and a racing came in as well as modified intake and exhaust. It had a throttle activated NOS system and a booming system. The tight cabin seems to work as a speaker box around the the 10" Bazooka Tube Woofers that were behind each seat. It sounded pretty amazing considering that I only had a Rockford Fosgate Punch 30 Watt pushing the mids and highs and a Punch 75 pushing the bass. I hit 160 on the highway 5 coming back from LA. There are so many memories in that car it is hard to choose one. But maybe this one will suffice...

I was on my way back to work from my girlfriends house and I see two nice looking girls go by in a convertible. I decided to turn on that street to go in their direction so I can get a closer look and maybe say hello. I sped to catch up to them then pulled up to the light real slow and cool like. I looked over and they were so gorgeous that I could not muster up enough gumption to say Hi. So I pulled off to the next light like I didn't even see them. To my surprise they pulled up next to me and said "Excuse Me? Do you have a Girlfriend?" I had just left my girlfriends house so I felt like I would be committing the ultimate sin if I lied so I said "Yes I did". So then the girl shrugged her shoulders and turned off. Just thought it was cool when I was pulling up to talk to them and chickened out... they pulled up to talk to me.

Can't seem to figure out how to attach a photo here to a post without putting the image in my gallery, which since it is not exactly boat related, I don't want to do.

Also 1972 the year I graduated HS, Dad caught me doin a Dukes of Hazzard in grandads hay truck :huh:

So he said what ever I could save up he would match and we would get me a car.

Worked buck'n hay, mowing lawns and delivering furniture at a family friends store.

We found a 65 Mustang ragtop, 289 auto for the price also brite red.

Great little car for dates and the lake, Then it started overheating! Had the radiator rodded out and cleaned, changed the thermostat and water pump. Dang thang still got hot so that got traded for a 67 Mercury 390 four barrel, Ou LaLa my first big block........ ;)

Might still have a polaroid somewhere I'll look,

Gene

Also 1972 the year I graduated HS, Dad caught me doin a Dukes of Hazzard in grandads hay truck :huh:

Worked buck'n hay, mowing lawns and delivering furniture at a family friends store.

Great little car for dates and the lake, Then it started overheating! Had the radiator rodded out and cleaned, changed the thermostat and water pump. Dang thang still got hot so that got traded for a 67 Mercury 390 four barrel, Ou LaLa my first big block........ ;)

Gene
Dig that Polaroid out man and show us.

I dont have a pic.. but.. 72 Vega that I stuffed a 400 small block in!..

Grim
I was dirt poor but my girlfriends dad was well off and she had a brand new 72 Vega hatchback, yuk green. Good memories in it, we drove from Nashville TN up to Beach Bend International Raceway in Ky several times to watch dragracing in it. 4 banger automatic. Oh, the rear seats folded down too!

I'll try to get something better than a scan.......

Gene

I had a model T but I didn't have a camera back then!!! JK I had nothing special, just a 89 chevy s10 Blazzer :rolleyes:

Mine was a 1969 Chevelle 350, 4 speed car. I still have it and restoring it right now. I use to go street racing every weekend back then. Man was that alot of fun back in the 70,s.

Nice car Kenny. My wife's first car was also a 1969 Chevelle. My first car was a 1977 Ford LTDII with a 302. The car got me thru 2 years of high school and 3 years of college until I put a rod thru the block one winter. To the junkyard it went. By the way, the LTDII was used to haul my white and red 1/8 scale (shown in photo) over 20years ago.

!st car was a 49 Pontic 2 dr stright 8 auto it lasted 6 weeks pulled the engine and trans put in and Olds 302 and cad La Salle trans, engine lasted 4 weeks pulled it out and put in a 323Olds. high lift cam,, found a j2 3 2bbl set up could not keep the rear end from hopping built trackson bars and welded the rear end, drove it for 2 years, street racing the surprised chevys, Sold it when I got drafted

Walt Barney

Gene
My second car was 64 Mercury Comet, 221 V-8 ,3 on the tree! Powder Blue and I spray painted the cove down both sides flat black, yea baby! I broke the shifter of one day banging gears so out came a hammer n chisel and a hole appeared in my trans tunnel and in went a $40 Hurst shifter with a Tee Handle.

Mine was a 1991 MR2. Black on Black. I upgraded the stock 14" Wheels to 17" on low, low, low profile 17/35/225 Tires. I am told I could have went to 18" Wheels though. It was a non-turbo but I had the engine rebuilt with forged pistons and a racing came in as well as modified intake and exhaust. It had a throttle activated NOS system and a booming system. The tight cabin seems to work as a speaker box around the the 10" Bazooka Tube Woofers that were behind each seat. It sounded pretty amazing considering that I only had a Rockford Fosgate Punch 30 Watt pushing the mids and highs and a Punch 75 pushing the bass. I hit 160 on the highway 5 coming back from LA. There are so many memories in that car it is hard to choose one. But maybe this one will suffice...

I was on my way back to work from my girlfriends house and I see two nice looking girls go by in a convertible. I decided to turn on that street to go in their direction so I can get a closer look and maybe say hello. I sped to catch up to them then pulled up to the light real slow and cool like. I looked over and they were so gorgeous that I could not muster up enough gumption to say Hi. So I pulled off to the next light like I didn't even see them. To my surprise they pulled up next to me and said "Excuse Me? Do you have a Girlfriend?" I had just left my girlfriends house so I felt like I would be committing the ultimate sin if I lied so I said "Yes I did". So then the girl shrugged her shoulders and turned off. Just thought it was cool when I was pulling up to talk to them and chickened out... they pulled up to talk to me.

Can't seem to figure out how to attach a photo here to a post without putting the image in my gallery, which since it is not exactly boat related, I don't want to do.
Cool story Roger! We never know what to do with women when we get em!! lol

!st car was a 49 Pontic 2 dr stright 8 auto it lasted 6 weeks pulled the engine and trans put in and Olds 302 and cad La Salle trans, engine lasted 4 weeks pulled it out and put in a 323Olds. high lift cam,, found a j2 3 2bbl set up could not keep the rear end from hopping built trackson bars and welded the rear end, drove it for 2 years, street racing the surprised chevys, Sold it when I got drafted

Walt Barney
At least you did not use 2X4s to jack it up in the rear, or did you Walt?

74 super beetle...I beat the crap outta that car! had an 8 track stereo and a cb radio...

Walt Barney
At least you did not use 2X4s to jack it up in the rear, or did you Walt?
No 2 X 4's did not need jacked up, the springs were so weak that it just squated when I took off

Walt

My first car:

typical european Fiat. A 127 75 sport.

The 75 is with regard to the bhp of this thing.

I modified it a little with a racing camshaft, weber carburetors, different supension and other set of wheels. It was a little go-kart in cornering, pirellis were really sticking.

Fiat127SportKJ-06-SY-11_zps33fa8c49.jpeg

'63 Rambler Classic 2-door, 394 Olds w/J2 tri-power, cast iron B&M Hydro, Pontiac rear end. Built it while in high school,'67-'68.

1970 Pontiac Gran Prix.

400 HiPo with 4 BBL Rochester, Turbo 400 tranny.

Mine was maroon. Paid 400.00 dollars for it in 1980

Woot Woot!

1970_pontiac_grand_prix-pic-60544.jpeg

Back