What was your first RC outboard?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_7306.JPGThis was my second tunnel hull--Steve Muck Lil Lightning--K&B 3.5 then a Novarossi with custon lower unit. Third tunnel hull--Leecraft 3.5--Novarossi&Lawless lower leg. Being converted to FE but may be a SE. Thank you Kris. 20120830_2.JPG

Hi !

my first outboard tunnel was a scratch build Jerry Dunlap Excalibur with a K&B 3.5...I bought it in 1986 from a friend who has built it in 1977 with new paint !

Here's some pics....

Hull is still in my garage !

Last edited by a moderator:
Some great looking old boat people...

Anyone else got some stories to share? I can remember Grim posting a pic YEARS ago of one of his first hotshot tunnels!

Some great looking old boat people...

Anyone else got some stories to share? I can remember Grim posting a pic YEARS ago of one of his first hotshot tunnels!
Forget that, Pics of his hobby shop in his basement. I had them and puter crashed. some awesome stuff.
default_cool.png

My first step in to nitro tunnels was the trusty Dumas Hot Shot IV, got it when I was about 13. Ran it for quite a few years for fun and even started racing with it, but soon realised its limitations against more modern designs.

Hot Shot IV 1.jpg

Hot Shot IV 2.jpg

1985 or so, first R/C boat was a MRP ABS Tunnel hull with a K&B 3.5 outboard. Ran pretty well actually.

My first outboard boat was a Dumas Hotshot. I made my own power trimimage.jpg

MY 1st O/B about '84 or 85 was actually my wife's, a New Leecraft, from the master Tommy Lee, She ran the boat for 3 years and the got afraid she would hit some one's boat and turned chicken, I could not convince her that if she hit some body else's boat. that that was racing, hers was hit several times but, I could not talk her into running her boat in another race again. Now she just watches.

Walt Barney

Seems like the IW member who probably has the earliest OB experience is late to this party. My first OB was a Fugi 15 on a Dick Norsikian 25" cabin cruiser that was designed by Jimmy Gale. The year was probably around 1974/75 - before K&B came out with the K&B 3.5 OB.

My first K&B 3.5 was mounted to a Hughey brown foam 3.5 Hydro. I won the first NAMBA 3.5 Outboard National Championship with that combination at the 1977 Reno Nats. At that time, 3.5 Outboard was an open class. As the popularity of the OB grew, there would be classes for OB Mono, OB Hydro, and OB Tunnel at NAMBA Nats.

JD

Seems like the IW member who probably has the earliest OB experience is late to this party. My first OB was a Fugi 15 on a Dick Norsikian 25" cabin cruiser that was designed by Jimmy Gale. The year was probably around 1974/75 - before K&B came out with the K&B 3.5 OB.

My first K&B 3.5 was mounted to a Hughey brown foam 3.5 Hydro. I won the first NAMBA 3.5 Outboard National Championship with that combination at the 1977 Reno Nats. At that time, 3.5 Outboard was an open class. As the popularity of the OB grew, there would be classes for OB Mono, OB Hydro, and OB Tunnel at NAMBA Nats.

JD
My first boat was a little wood kit hot shot 21 designed by Jerry Dunlap. I had a couple of these and enjoyed running them every weekend somewhere around 1978. I owe a lot of thanks to Jerry for providing those kits way back then and starting a hobby that I have enjoyed for a long time now.

Thanks Jerry! I am still having fun!

-Carl Van Houten

JD
My first boat was a little wood kit hot shot 21 designed by Jerry Dunlap. I had a couple of these and enjoyed running them every weekend somewhere around 1978. I owe a lot of thanks to Jerry for providing those kits way back then and starting a hobby that I have enjoyed for a long time now.

Thanks Jerry! I am still having fun!

-Carl Van Houten
Thank you for the kind words, Carl. It is very rewarding to know my designs had an impact on this great hobby.

I'd also like to thank all those who mentioned their first tunnel was a Dumas tunnel. The royalty I received from the tunnel boats I designed for Dumas back in the day made it possible to enjoy my hobby without having to dip too much into my teacher's pay check.
default_smile.png

JD

First outboard and first RC boat that I drove period, was the big 40 inch Mod-VP that I built in 1986. First run was on a farm pond in middle Ga. , where I was living at the time. Stock 7.5 KB. Big ol thing actually ran pretty good for its size.

I started the o/b class with the Dumas 3.5 hot shot sprint wood kit and still have two running.

Joe

image.jpg

My first tunnel was a dumas hot shot 1984 engine was $135.00 back then.I still have that boat and in great shape

Dave Roach

Latest posts

Back