What was your first car?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first car was a 1969 chevelle,350 4 speed. My dad bought it for me when I turned 16. Guess what I still have it to this day. Doing a ground up restoration on it now. It was fun going up town every friday and sat. night and going out street racing. The car ran in the 12second range through the quarter mile.

68 Camaro in rust colored primer with a 231 6 cylinder & 3 sp manual tranny. I gave $300.00 for it, was proud to have it, and drove the wheels off of it.
default_laugh.png

- 60 Dodge Pioneer push button auto on the dash
and now they're back!
Sure look different than the "typewriter" buttons that were in my old '60 plymouth!! Wrong side of the steering wheel, too. Actually all the controls for the vents, radio & trans were the same style pushbuttons.
Tony, my steering wheel was the same. Was your speedo in a separate pod sitting on top of the dash, with separate bars that rose up in 5 mph segments - no needle, more of a segmented bar?

Last edited by a moderator:
1958 Chevy Apache P/U in primer with 327/202fuely heads....and NO BRAKES! I paid 200.00 for that thing...had to use the E-brake to stop it! Great memories of stuffing the stepside bed with 3 Dirt bikes, tools etc with my 2 buddies, driving 50 miles to the Dade City race track, usually got home by 1 or 2 in the morning! Thank God there wasn't much traffic on Highway 52 back in those days
default_blink.png
!
default_laugh.png
:lol:

1970 Chevelle SS Fo fitty Fo Rockcrusher, 4:88 gear, manual steering, benchseat, no AC. Car was ordered by first owner just to rage. Dealer installed performance package. Had the car before my DL,which was taken away shortly thereafter. Imagine driving around with a 4 speed, benchseat and a cheerleader sitting in the middle..
default_smile.png
Hello Kitty!

When I was 15 I was already working part time with Bill Grumpy Jenkins who was my dads and my good friend and neighbor. He had a great speed shop and pro stock operation. My dad and Bill allowed me to begin working on a Pro Street Vega before it was even popular and I could legally drive yet. I had planned on adding a turbo so I added Manley forged pistons (no dome only 9:1), we O ringed the block, used copper head gaskets and double hump heads which was the first set of heads I ported all by myself. you can imagine with everyones help it had all the goodies. Not happy with just stuffing in the strong smallblock, we put in a street style cage that tied the chassis together (still twisted alot though), shortened ford rear, wheel tubs, and topped it off with a turbo, and a nitrous system. I finished it up when I was 18, now old enough to drive and we had it lettered up "Plumbers Nightmare" from all the turbo and nitrous plumbing. I drove it on the street a bit and took it to the drag strip alot. I had alot of fun going to quite a few Super Chevy meets. I know working for Grumpy was a great advantage as a kid, I couldnt ask for a better building and racing education. I will never forget the great times we had.

Ron Ratoff

The Grump was the man back then. I remember seeing him run the Vega Pro Stock car at the 1971 and 1972 Amarillo, Texas NHRA World Finals ( last race of the year back then ). Never heard a small-block Chevy scream like that car did !

Dick Tyndall

The Amarillo track was pretty cool. They push started the Top Fuel dragsters back then on the return road. We could get right up to the 4 foot tall chain-link fence when they were pushing a car and the nitro would spray all over everybody until the car fired. If one fired up next to you it scared the $hit out of you!

Ron, you and your Dad were fortunate to work with the Grump when you did. They have to be some great memories for sure ! Didn't they auction one of the last of Grump's Vegas at Barrett-Jackson a few years ago?

Dick Tyndall

1st a 75 amc gremlin second a 70 nova with a 468 two stages ,7.90 with tags i miss those days .current street bike 6.99 204mph .still feeling young

1971 Grandville 4 door 455 that my dad bought new. My brother side swiped a parked car and the insurance paid it off and then my dad said its all yours have fun.

That tank would go any where with bias ply snow tires and the posi rear. Not much left after I got done learning how to drive with it. LOL

The first car I bought was a 67 GTO convertible 4 speed 400 that same year 1978.

1973 Cutlass Supreme

350 V-8 power

Killer sound system

Great car with lots of good times and memories.

Mark Shound

Latest posts

Back