What servo for rudder

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Sturgis

Hey Guy,s I have a couple dumb newbie questions. I have an RC marine design Bud T5 hull that I am almost done building. I have a S3305 high torque,daul ball bearing metal gear Futaba servo. Its rated at 124 ozs of torque at 6 V Will this servo be strong enough to steer this boat? My second question is I am running an OPS 67 with a slide carb and I need to know if it makes a performance difference rotating the carb to set up your throttle. Any tips would be great Thanks Chuck

Hey Guy,s I have a couple dumb newbie questions. I have an RC marine design Bud T5 hull that I am almost done building. I have a S3305 high torque,daul ball bearing metal gear Futaba servo. Its rated at 124 ozs of torque at 6 V Will this servo be strong enough to steer this boat? My second question is I am running an OPS 67 with a slide carb and I need to know if it makes a performance difference rotating the carb to set up your throttle. Any tips would be great Thanks Chuck
Chuck,

The Futaba 3305 servo is plenty for steering, I run that servo in my scales with no issues. I'm sure your RCM T5 Bud will be lighter than my WOF scale

I'm not sure what you are asking about the slide carb? Are you asking, can it be rotated the carb in any direction to make it easier to run your linkage?

If so, yes you can, it will not make any difference in performance, but remember, the low speed needle adjustment is out the side, need to make it easy to get to

Chuck,

The Futaba 3305 servo is plenty for steering, I run that servo in my scales with no issues. I'm sure your RCM T5 Bud will be lighter than my WOF scale

I'm not sure what you are asking about the slide carb? Are you asking, can it be rotated the carb in any direction to make it easier to run your linkage?

If so, yes you can, it will not make any difference in performance, but remember, the low speed needle adjustment is out the side, need to make it easy to get to

Rick, Are you using nicad or nimh batterys? Noticed Futaba put a warning on using Nimh batts.(high current draw).

Thanks,

Glenn

Chuck,

Rick, Are you using nicad or nimh batterys? Noticed Futaba put a warning on using Nimh batts.(high current draw).

Thanks,

Glenn
NIMH, 1600MAH

Chuck,

Thanks,

Glenn
NIMH, 1600MAH
I run NIMH batteries with no issues and until I do I will continue. With so many others using them heck every hobby shop in the country stocks them why not!

The 3305 is what I have for all my boats. If I was looking at turning a gasser, I would be looking at a waterproof 1/4 scale servo with metal gears

I run a 3305 in my Scale Hydro also...seems to be a real good servo for the money, no problems with it to this point......i use 4 AA alkaline dry cells as they put out 6 volts new and dont drop off quickly.....plenty left for 4 or 5 heats of racing and then some!

I run a 3305 in my Scale Hydro also...seems to be a real good servo for the money, no problems with it to this point......i use 4 AA alkaline dry cells as they put out 6 volts new and dont drop off quickly.....plenty left for 4 or 5 heats of racing and then some!
Mounted a 3305 in my new Lincoln Thrift yesterday!

I switched over to Futaba after way to many failures with Hitec servos. The 3305 is great. I was using 77b retract servos in my A mono just to be safe and wouldn't you know it last race yesterday the throttle quit...... no water in the box and the servo was hot it was very hard to turn one way but when I took it apart no seized parts another fine product from hitec.... P/S new servo second time in the water this year with this set up. Stick with Futaba yes they cost a little more but in the long run you'll be happier.

Using Towerpro Mg995 for all my steering servos (5). they're a standard size servo with metal gears and very very cheap. They're not water proof as such but you can drown them a few times before they give up the ghost, not that you'd want to. Even in my 57" offshore mono, which would be 20 pounds at least and runs with a CC pro mod zen tunrs without any problems.

Did have some issues when I was using AM radio, but everything is good since I started using the 3pm set. having said that I'm sure the issues I had with the am set were "noise" from the gas engine rather than anything to do with the servo.

I do give the inside of them a good spray with corrosion x before using just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back