What I would like to see on Iwaters

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Radz

Yo Tom Moorehouse & Co.

We need a new Forum where things that come up over & over could be placed. Tips & hints for the new people. Reference material & such. Somewhere a newbie could go find out how to read a plug or sharpen a prop or tell when he is running too rich or too lean. How about it Tom? You could call it the basic training forum or something like that.

Later!

Ed Radz

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see a place to talk about the aero performance of boats. And I am not taking in terms that you need a encylopedia next to you to understand what that person said. just people stating things they have tried and or are interested in trying.

Because i am a firm believer that that is the true element we are missing on our boats..

chris

this sounds to me like the featured articles.....

first: i have some problems with that section..... ive just been too busy/lazy to fix it.

second: if anyone wants to contribute articles for me to post..... id be real happy. that stuff is great.

I think starting a forum might be overkill.

We have a 'featured articles' section???? :blink:

Yo Tom

Newbies come to the forum & thats whats needed. Hardly anyone knows about the FEATURED ARTICLES area. A forum area is the way to go. You will get plenty of contributors, I guarantee. If a subject comes up in one of the other forums it could be easily moved to the tips & hints forum.

Later!

Ed Radz

TomMoorehouse said:
this sounds to me like the featured articles.....
I think starting a forum might be overkill.

80882[/snapback]

I think Tom's right. It seems like a great idea, but look at the R/C Listbot. It used to be a pretty happening board but once they seperated every thing into a seperate forum it got boring and doesn't have much posting in it any more.

Or, Tom......

Maybe you should start a board for all the "off topic" stuff ?????

For as often as I visit the site, it sometimes is a little discouraging to have to read through all the items that are not truly boating related...or even close.

Also, the posts that start off as a good topic, but then quickly deteriorate into a cryptic conversation between a couple of users....which nobody cares to read about but those involved.

Just a thought....

Viper40 said:
Or, Tom......
Maybe you should start a board for all the "off topic" stuff ?????

For as often as I visit the site, it sometimes is a little discouraging to have to read through all the items that are not truly boating related...or even close.

Also, the posts that start off as a good topic, but then quickly deteriorate into a cryptic conversation between a couple of users....which nobody cares to read about but those involved.

Just a thought....

80911[/snapback]

hey viper.... you stay around me? lagrange park?

well what happens.... ive seen it way too many times..... if i were to start moving posts that are off topic or that get off topic or to lock down posts..... i just makes people mad.

if your going to make an off topic post just start it like "OT: this is my off topic post" and if you dont want to read it then just ignore it. I got some good info about drywall just yesterday. boaters do a lot of the same things.... were just helping each other out.

guess i need to fix the featured articles section.... it was still integrated to YABBSE!

I think this board is set up just right.

Maybe we could get some members to donate some time to pick a topic and gather all the info from the board in some kind of easy to view format and send it to Tom as an article.

I believe off topics keep the board alive during slow times.

MikeP

Yea, I think a Newbie section either with past Tech docs or a forum where feedback is available would be great. I know I could use it and that way, Jerry Wyss would lay off or I wouldnt be taking up so much of his Forum then. I have scoured the internet looking for an article on propper starting proceedure of a mono-hull with zero luck!

I think for general newbie questions the best thing to do would be to provide a [SIZE=14pt]great big[/SIZE] link to Marty's info at rcboat.com . That is the best collection of general knowledge information that I have seen.

If you try and separate what is relevant and what is not on this forum then you are asking for trouble. Something like the results of the "technical discussion" and "bench racing" areas of the other forum will be sure to happen.

I like the forums now.

Instead of looking through all the forums I just click the "Veiw new posts" tab to see whats been added since my last visit. It gives you the latest post in chronological order :)

I think that if the featured articles section is fixed then if a newbie question comes up on the forum - it's just a case of someone posting a link to it as a reply - easy.

I also think with the ever expanding membership of this board and some of the knowledge the experienced members have, contributing an article for the featured articles section should be something everyone should try to do at least once. Think of it as giving something back to the hobby.

Tim.

I think we should leave things the way they are. As it is now, there is plenty of questions and lots of different answers, some good, some bad, some humorous, and some off of the subject. A newbie in this forum, if he finds all of his questions written in one page, or two, or three, the chances of him to ask questions after reading everything is very slim. Now, he'll jump in and ask, and that is what keeps this board going. We don't want to come online and look in here and there is no questions and answers that they sound like and look like the ones from last week, beleive me. If you play Blackjack with open cards, then whats the use of playing? Everyone knows what you have, so you might as well thow your cards in and forget about it...same with this. If anyone can find all the imformation that they want, then there will be no questions, and obviously no answers. Just my dumb thoughts. :blink:

Nick

P/S if we were to add any subjects, maybe just an off topic section.

MikeP said:
I believe off topics keep the board alive during slow times.
80916[/snapback]

Absolutely. Besides as long as "off topic" appears in the header you know it's off topic & can choose to read it or not. This is a GREAT site. It's like that old saying- "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :D

If you like your forums "dry" there's always the other site....

Im all for helping out new commers, If the search engine worked better that could be one possibility, I agree, Lots of questions get asked and answered and then asked again.

Far as the joke'n around, that is age related, bunch us O'l farts like to tease each other or poke fun, that not yer cup of tea click on and read other posts, lots of info here just browse to your hearts content ;)

Gene :D

Preston_Hall said:
I already tried that Craig. It eventually was vetoed.
81061[/snapback]

LOL I never got to see the end of that aviar... guess I missed out :blink:

Adam

Back