What I love about RC boats.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Olson

It seems like this was covered many years ago but I'll get this one started.

At that time many agreed that it was more about the people than the boats or racing and I have to go along with that.

To me, it's more like a family reunion but we're racing boats instead of tossing a ball around. I've had the honor of being around some of the best in the hobby especially at Hobart, a who's who of RC boating. The people who will loan you whatever you need as they'd rather beat you or be beaten on the water than let you sit by with a DNS.

It's also working on my boats, sitting in my shop with the stereo going and working on these, my little time of getting away from everything.

There's probably more but that's my 2 big reasons.

what ron said for sure!! i've done a fair share of racing in my life. drag racing (cars & bikes), oval & marathon boats, dirt track oval, off road, rc off road buggies, & rc boats. what keeps me interested in rc boats is the course. in cars & buggies (both scales), the track changes, but gradually & you can keep up with it. with boats, every foot of every lap is different. the water is an active part of the race. ever changing, ever challenging. then add your boat (both setup & tuning) & the other competiters out there with you. that's the biggest & most fun challenge - the friends & building are just FUN !!

The people. You just don't find these type of people in other sports. Don't get me wrong, I've raced motocross for 22 years until my body just couldn't take it, raced scca and nasa, nhra, nmra, ihra bikes you name it. Always been a racer. The people have their similarities, but the boating community, you guys are top notch. Ryon Shaw (shawdaddy) has bad possession of all of my boating gear since around 2008. I've asked him several times to sell it. He always has an excuse. My mom has fallen I'll, so I needed some "vent" time and Ryon just happened to call and said hey man, why don't you come mess with some boats. You just don't find people like that everywhere. Personally, I think all of you guys are great. Even the ones that I haven't met yet. Sorry for the sappy post, but you guys are great.

I like launching Brandon's Outboard off the CMB dock,during a race,and falling into the 10 ft plus water... :blink: Man what a rush...it "ALMOST" does'nt get any better than that.

It's the people,and the people,and the people. And on and on.

We're else can you set up a pit with lots of equipment and walk away with out worrying.

Nails

Last edited by a moderator:
The model boat, especially the way we approach it, is a very diverse piece of equipment. We are working with an internal combustion engine,.. that is always a manly thing no matter what.. The mechanical aspects of the engine, the drive line. And the the electronics,.. Then at times the woodworking.. then add in all the theories and engineering in hydro and aero dynamics.. IT's really really cool stuff. Plus the performance is really incredible.. have you ever seen a RC car turn a corner like a JAE rigger? Heck NO!! Impossible..

Combine that with the type people that have gravitated to the hobby, and man,.. nothing better.. I have received so much help from so many people,.. and as the years passed and I become more knowledgeable, I have helped many people.

Cheers!

I think initially its the challenge of tuning and being competitive with a nitro boat- then your eyes open to the people . Hands down one of the most tight nit caring and giving group of people I have ever competed with. I will never forget when I first started racing ( 40 mono) Gene Mongar ran in the same class and genuinely helped me get better and faster , eventually I beat him at a 2 day race. The line I will never forget was "your on your own now" with a big smile and a hug. Since then we have had some great heats together and I know he will always be there if I need help. I guess my point is , someone I was racing against in the same class- helped me get faster- to the point I could beat him - Thats saying something, esp because 90% of the people I have met at the lake are willing to do the same B) We -for the most part- seem to have an unspoken code of respect for one another, these funny little toy boats bring out the best in the most of us. I can simply recall certain races in my head and the smiles and laughs and jokes we shared leaving the stand- and it brings a smile to my face.

Besides its fun as heck ;) ;) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
the PAYCHECK! lol

Truth is the people.. without the buds I have made this silly hobby would not be the same.

Grim

What I love about this hobby is when your boat is not running good or you have problems, Everyone jumps in to help. I've had a guy give my a High torque servo this year... for free. I cant remember his name but thank you. Glenn G mailed me a turn fin to test... Doug lend me a prop and turn fin for a race.... the list goes on and on. I've seen guys break parts and when you think his day is over another guy is there to help, most of the time doesn't even charge for the replacement part, there just glad to help. That's what I love about this hobby. Lots of people there to help out. I've asked people I've never even meet before at races questions, picking there brains and they never have a problem. Also putting faces to names from the people on this site. Some of you guys don't look at all what I expect. LOL

We all have to remember it's a hobby. It's a expensive hobby but when your not having fun you need to just go home. That or come over to my pit area and hangout then we'll have some fun.

What I love about model boating is racing for one I like to race even if I'm not doing good, trying to find speed in my boats by trying different props and setups I like the challenge to make something faster and building boats,but the best thing is talking to people in the clubs or new people. At one race this father and son were racing a Miss Vegas and there shaft broke. Being the RTR guy for a long time we had an extra shaft and helped him figure out the best set up and what to do. Helping someone new to it all makes even the worse race day worth it. Of course having a winning a race is fun too.

Latest posts

Back