What does a 3.5 mod tunnel typically weigh?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Sorgente

Supporting Member
I have a feeling in the tunnel world the overall weight of the boat isnt a huge concern for most but I was wondering what kind of weights you guys typically get ready to run minus fuel. What would be considered "lightweight"?

Brian

4 pounds. IMO, the problem with a "lightweight" is in heat racing water conditions. I've won a lot of races with a VS1/OS 21 Ver. II that probably weighs 5 1/2 pounds. To each, his own I suppose. I'll take finishing heats.

JD

I have run Villians from 3lbs 14oz to just under 5 pounds. 4 pounds overall is quite light for a tunnel. I like em light but my fastest heat racing VS-1 is in the 4lbs 6oz range..

Grim

Mike, Noticed your sig.......

No "toe boat" next season?

Gene

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I weighed my Nemesis and its about 5lb's which I was surpised at. I do have a bunch of weight in it right now which Im planning to pull out this weekend though for setup reasons.

Thanks guys.

Brian

good to hear you got away from that 24'' hot shot brian, serious driving ability to run 5 laps with that boat. i think a lot of outboard tunnel guys dont understand the water we run in, most of my races are above idle to 1/2 throttle. some of our races you can open it up but few and far between. i think a good dist 11 tunnel would be about 5-51/2 lbs and hull length around 30'' and the ability to idle well without stalling. my 29 hopper is a great rough water boat and lets see what it can do with your nemesis. see you in ct 2nd sat in october. good luck john v

My Nemesis ran at around 5.5 mod and 4-12 stock.. The mod boat had 6 oz on the CG with a CG of 32%.

Grim

good to hear you got away from that 24'' hot shot brian, serious driving ability to run 5 laps with that boat. i think a lot of outboard tunnel guys dont understand the water we run in, most of my races are above idle to 1/2 throttle. some of our races you can open it up but few and far between. i think a good dist 11 tunnel would be about 5-51/2 lbs and hull length around 30'' and the ability to idle well without stalling. my 29 hopper is a great rough water boat and lets see what it can do with your nemesis. see you in ct 2nd sat in october. good luck john v
Ohhh the hot shot... lol I've had more laughs racing that boat than anything I've owned. Im hoping that we have some good tunnel weather in CT so we can really open them up. Did you know Andrew just picked one up too?

andrew got into outboard tunnels? we are all in trouble! that boy has got some driving talent. very cool , the more the better, i just ran my 7.5 tunnel today and what a great time, have not run this boat in about 5 years. nice thing about 7.5 boats is that they can take rough water and come back alive. dist 11 had 1 race in wasampski springs years ago with 3 - 7.5 tunnels and that was the only time i ran against other tunnels, i ended up running b&c hydro and beating up the riggers then that class went away. would love to see a bunch of 7.5 tunnels run, maybe some day???

Back