waterfowl and boat racing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Sowell

just trying to get a general concensus on how your clubs handle waterfowl on the race course,

do you clear the course before any boats are lanched for each heat?

do you launch boats on the two minute clock and mill the waterfowl out of the way and still try to get in position to make the start clock?

do you think it is worth the risk of milling waterfowl with boats during the clock to possibly have your boat die from milling too slow or possibly hitting waterfowl and getting DQ'ed for the heat?

I feel that if we are milling waterfowl during the two minute clock and we are racing for district points that it is unfair to expect the racers to use their boats and possible loss of points and race position to clear the course. Please chime in on how your clubs handle this.

Last edited by a moderator:
just trying to get a general concensus on how your clubs handle waterfowl on the race course,

do you launch boats on the two minute clock and mill the waterfowl out of the way and still try to get in position to make the start clock?

do you think it is worth the risk of milling waterfowl with boats during the clock to possibly have your boat die from milling too slow or possibly hitting waterfowl and getting DQ'ed for the heat?

I feel that if we are milling waterfowl during the two minute clock and we are racing for distric points that it is unfair to expect the racers to use their boats and possible loss of points and race position to clear the course. Please chime in on how your clubs handle this.
Do that down here in Florida and you stand a good chance of getting kicked out of whatever club your in or race your at. Messing with the wildlife with your boat is a good way to lose a pond when people complain to the county, And besides that, it's just not cool.

That's what the chase boat is for.

/B

If you have been running R/C boats for a while, you've probably hit a duck or two. I've hit three that I can remember in the past 30 odd years.

In the Seattle area, at one race, Jerry Dunlap went out with a slow electric boat between heats to herd the ducks. But, they just kept coming back.

Normally, if the CD announces that there are ducks on the course, the pit man can find them and tell the driver where to drive to avoid the ducks. Just like avoiding dead boats. And, I've hit some dead boats over the years as well.

Al Hobbs

Bill is right we deal with alot of wild life here in florida if it is out there before boats go in send the chase boat out to run them away, main thing down here we hit are turtles below the water we cant see but birds another story just make sure the course is clear before starting the clock

Here in the Northwest waterfowl is everywhere. As Al said we move them by careful driving. Sometimes one is hit. (I think Al has hit more than me) We try to be very careful. Public opinion is always finnicky. I've seen more Canada geese cole cocked by a golf ball than I ever have in RC Boat racing. However the golfers just say, "that'll teach em to move."

If the county is trying to take away your pond because of a bird strike I think either they want to just get rid of you anyway or your club is not ding the job it needs to do to promote good will. Sometimes a note to the parks department citing the economic value your racing brings to the city/county goes a long way to promote positive attitudes towards us racers.

It's a great topic and in MHO maybe there's just not a perfect answer.

Bill

Here in the Northwest waterfowl is everywhere. As Al said we move them by careful driving. Sometimes one is hit. (I think Al has hit more than me) We try to be very careful. Public opinion is always finnicky. I've seen more Canada geese cole cocked by a golf ball than I ever have in RC Boat racing. However the golfers just say, "that'll teach em to move."

If the county is trying to take away your pond because of a bird strike I think either they want to just get rid of you anyway or your club is not ding the job it needs to do to promote good will. Sometimes a note to the parks department citing the economic value your racing brings to the city/county goes a long way to promote positive attitudes towards us racers.

It's a great topic and in MHO maybe there's just not a perfect answer.

Bill
It has nothing to do with the county. In fact the Brandon Model Boaters have had the same pond for 25-30 years and the county loves us. But if they start hearing that we are killing wildlife, we would be out in two seconds. It's about respect for other living creatures. it's not funny or cool to chase water foul around with your boat. That's just how we think down here. Call us crazy.

We don't tolerate that kind of childish behavior in our club. To us, it shows a lack of discipline and respect, it certainly shows a lack of maturity and responsibility. I have seen one duck (killed by a rigger) since I started in this hobby. It was during open water at the Winter Nats I think four years ago. Wayne Farrow rightly told everyone on the PA right there and then that if another bird got hit he would shut done the entire race.

We take wildlife seriously down here, You point your boat anywhere near the direction of any wildlife in our club (pretty much the district as well), and you are out.

We simply don't tolerate it.

You can delay a heat, you can't un-kill a bird.

The reason why I ask about this issue is at the last district race, the ducks were everwhere, the cd had us use our boats to mill the ducks off the race course, all of this being done on the two minute clock. out of 12 heats of racing I DNS 3 heats for the boat dieing or spinning out, causing a total loss of possible points and no chance for any racing. I don't feel that a racer should have to do this, it comes down to who ever can mill ducks the best will have the best chance to win. In one heat while pitting for another racer we almost missed the start while trying to mill ducks and still keep the clock in mind and get into position. If this is how it is going to be I will get out of boats completely and sell everthing. Rick

I saw this situation happen around 1996-98 at a district race.

A flock of ducks came into the race pond from the adjoining river towards the racecourse. The CD was stopping heats if he saw a twig floating in the water but let the boats run while the ducks continued into the pond. One genius with a gas 'rigger went way wide on the course through the flock, badly injuring one duck. The club tried to cover up the incident but unfortunately for them did it in front of a daughter of a DNR officer. They failed to report it and the club got a $1,000.00 fine. The club no longer ran at that site afterwards.

To follow up on Bill's post, I've been to races where the ducks have been a problem. As stated earlier, the boats were driven into the area, BUT NOT CLOSE ENOUGH TO POSSIBLY HURT A DUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The CD at that event was very specific, INFLUENCE FROM A DISTANCE BUT DO NOT GET CLOSE, specifically to prevent injury. Between heats, retrieval balls were also thrown into the area, not into the flock to get the ducks away from the course. As someone else said, there is no one perfect answer. When you look at how some wrecklessly operate their "personal water craft" in the area of others in the water, using an R/C boat to "influence" ducks is a minor problem by comparison

Accidents happen unfortunaly the occasional water fowl is hit and killed

its a very rare occurance at our lake but it does happen.

They are even a pain in there landing while people are running. Had one do a hard turn and land right in front of my boat , had no chance of changing direction due to short landing of the duck. Hit it while it still had its wings out. it is a pain but it dose happen.

Like hitting an animal crossing the road at night you never see it till it is too late.

not to mention the fish that must have been hit over the years. :blink:

The C/D calls them to the attention of the Ones on the clock. DUCKS on #3 Wide.... We treat them as a Moving buoy & try to stay inside of them if possible..... Most of the time you have to share the lake with them....till they decide to move.

Would they react to loud noises. Maybe a RC tug with a remote controlled air horn. Paint it bright orange so that the race boats can see it easy as they mill around.

Dumb idea?

It's not so much the ducks, as it is as a racer should I have to pay to race and mill ducks and possibly dq myself or have a boat die and not get to race and a total loss of district points? we are racing for a championship aren't we?

Here we have so many geese that the city parks are having trouble. The grass is being eaten away. You can't wander around the riverside parks barefoot. They estimate that there are more than 15,000 Canadian Geese here that no longer go south in the Winter. They just stay in the parks. So, the city has decided to control the number of geese and one idea was to hire people to shake the goose eggs in the thousands of nests. Shaking the eggs, means that the eggs won't hatch.

The golf courses have decided to use dogs that will attack the geese if they land on their property.

All in all, we definitely try to avoid waterfowl. Like Joe says, the CD announces when ducks or geese are near the course.

But, model boaters are definitley not the only ones who have to deal with waterfowl. And in many areas I'd say that we are doing a much better job of it than other people.

I know that does not solve your problem, but I do not know a better way to handle it.

Al Hobbs

I feel that if we are milling waterfowl during the two minute clock and we are racing for district points that it is unfair to expect the racers to use their boats and possible loss of points and race position to clear the course. Please chime in on how your clubs handle this.

You must be talking about Waughop....................Several years ago,while racing at Waughop,we brought about 6 loaves of day old bread and paid

[took up a collection] one of the kids to go 100 yards down the beach and feed the ducks a couple of slices of bread every 10 minutes or so.......worked great

Dunlap ought to remember that...... ;)

Geez ..it's still toy boats ..do your best to not hit the birds and race the boats . A couple of hot laps in the chase boat maybe is the best idea to move them out some .

Florida is such a hugger state full size boat races have to hire Helicopters to watch for manatees and if one is even SPOTTED ..race over . unreal but you gotta be careful ..you never know who is watching ...or READING .

You must be talking about Waughop....................Several years ago,while racing at Waughop,we brought about 6 loaves of day old bread and paid

[took up a collection] one of the kids to go 100 yards down the beach and feed the ducks a couple of slices of bread every 10 minutes or so.......worked great

Good Idea, C.D. always anounces position of birds on course-birds get the right of way. Most move to the other side of the lake when the boats hit the water. Usually races are not delayed.A DQ or fine from the club may make drivers a bit more carefull. Like someone mentioned you never know who's watching.

Good Idea, C.D. always anounces position of birds on course-birds get the right of way. Most move to the other side of the lake when the boats hit the water. Usually races are not delayed.A DQ or fine from the club may make drivers a bit more carefull. Like someone mentioned you never know who's watching.
Rick Sowell races in District 8 and unless you have raced at Lake Waughop with the ducks that live there ,you have no idea the problem that Rick is facing dealing with the Waughop ducks...

The ducks at Waughop are born,raised and live their entire lives on that lake.........They have grown up with model boats and are completely oblivious to the noise and speed of the boats.....

Migratory waterfowl will move when hassled but the stay at homers [and there are a million of them] don't move an inch.......

Now I haven't raced at Waughop for several years but I would bet a dollar to a dog turd the ducks haven't become any smarter about model boats since I left district 8...... :rolleyes: .....

I just remember feeding them always worked to get them off the course.....

The feed deal is a great idea.... our city builds a funnel trap and catches all the geese during molt.... their crap is serious nasty, city wide, and they do what they want at the pond, where we paddle out and shoo them away.... newbies and spectators pose the greatest effect on us, with excited statements all the time, and it never fails... "chase that duck, man!"...... and luckily if I'm there, replies of "we dont chase waterfowl, period". Hunter/outdoorsman, Bill's words rock, as respecting the wildlife, HANDS DOWN is mandatory. We've had 3 collisions in 14 years, 2 geese, and ducks, that, ignorantly, and i'll take blame on one, that faster class boats (my example was a gas cat guy), that need a spotter even if we are just testing...... had i not launched him and walked away, deadly...... lesson learned, bad, but man, it took 2 guys to get it in the water, stand behind the guy and spot for him for 6 laps or so...... you should be working with your pit man anyway.....( he wasnt mine, nor I his)... We've been lucky.... the city allows us use of this pond.... a phone call, that we're killing waterfowl, and it's over. Rick, I feel for ya man, and basically, stubbornly, I cant find myself risking my hull, and the work involved, herding them at speed for anybody.... getcha a sack of cracked corn, or the day old bread deal, and if theyre as bad as you guys say they are, like ours, they'll all jet right to it when they see you throwin it around..... other than that, thats what the R boat is for....... good luck, and sorry about your scores.... Mike

Back