Want to see what $1200 worth of LiPos look like?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I very much doubt that the fire was anything more than the plastic shrink wrap burning.
The boat was upside down and the batteries were submerged under water, took about ten minutes to stop smoking and it was ALOT of smoke. It was not just shrink wrap burning..... :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yummy! That boat must have been smokin fast!! :lol:
My daddy always said dont let the smoke out<YOU DID were you singing PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON?
I stopped by for a while Friday afternoon to see what was going on and was shown some pictures ( and video! ) of when this thing was cooking off. Song of the day was "Smoke on the water".................

Dick Tyndall
Dicky, sure you didn't pass gas near it and that was the end result???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Glad I wasn't near that one when it cooked off! By the way, I have your new prop to give to you..............might bring it to Queenstown with Don..............let me know if you are going to be there. Sorry for getting off topic. Okay, when is the video of this going to pop up???

Dick

We always say in my business that the stuff runs on smoke and you all let the smoke out. So you need to put new smoke back in.

Last edited by a moderator:
" Thermal event" I like that. :D
Lithium+H2O=Oh my God!!!

Lithium+ too much heat= Gee, I didn't think it would blow the door off that oven!!!

As long as the cells do not rupture or overheat they should be ok.

Glenn

Looks like a "Herbie" boat. Same one that caught fire at one of our races Maybe. :)

Maxx Amp claims to have waterproof LiPos.

Bob
Water did not cause this. The pack was ruptured.
my only question and i am not a lipo fan at all.. is why spend that much on batteries that you chance losing or burning the whole mess down like this one.. and they are not faster correct? im not trying to spoil the party .. just curious. it just seems to be **** expensive and one screwup or problem and this happens..and for 1200.00 i can buy 53 gallon of nitro and run for a couple years or better?

tk

Terry,

I will bring my UL-1 to mendota.. we will chat lipos at the race...

its an eye opener.. dont close them out.. they are wonderfull...

ROCK ON!

Grim

Terry,

ROCK ON!

Grim
Agreed ;)

I'm yet to make it back to Valdosta since lipo's - WAY TOO LONG :blink:

But from how those guys handle a race and set some VERY tall speed records-

I would have to agree.......

Lipo's are NOT evil ;)

Andy

Terry,

ROCK ON!

Grim
sounds good grim ill be looing forward to that.. them things are neat ill give you that.. they make nice mirrors for my tunnels too..lol

tk

Looks like a "Herbie" boat. Same one that caught fire at one of our races Maybe. :)

Maxx Amp claims to have waterproof LiPos.

Bob
Water did not cause this. The pack was ruptured.
my only question and i am not a lipo fan at all.. is why spend that much on batteries that you chance losing or burning the whole mess down like this one.. and they are not faster correct? im not trying to spoil the party .. just curious. it just seems to be **** expensive and one screwup or problem and this happens..and for 1200.00 i can buy 53 gallon of nitro and run for a couple years or better?

tk
An electric, non Lipo, actually has the fastest recorded speed of 140mph. But it is a lot to risk. And it takes a looooooong time to charge the big packs.

Since the batteries are mostly plastic (lithium POLYMER) I still don't believe the fire was more than plastic burning. Hydrocarbon fires can be very persistent. This sounds like a case of improper battery use, not defective batteries. I have run boats with 42 - six cell packs and had no problems with the batteries. We had 900 amp current draws (130 amps per 4500 mah pack) and the batteries never got beyond warm. We used standard model charging techniques and warmed the packs before runs. Lithium polymer batteries are probably safer than gasoline, which stores a lot more energy in the same volume. The safety issues are different, but just as important.

Lohring Miller

Back