Want to see what $1200 worth of LiPos look like?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW ... thats a good way to scare off any potential FE racers .

So what kind of fire extinguisher do you need for lipos?

Ed

That would be a class D extinguisher because a fire involving lipo's is considered a burning metals fire which requires HALON. Halon actually takes all oxygen out of the air which will put out the fire but will also choke out anyone caught in its space. When I worked for GM we were testing this stuff in our diaster recovery center for critical data storage units. FE guys you live really close to the edge........

Somebody told me they burn without oxygen. Chemical reaction really. These were most likely under water as the were smoking. Toxic gas released.

OK,so the boat blew off and went under water awhile?

so don't get lipos weat then?

Ed

OK,so the boat blew off and went under water awhile?
so don't get lipos weat then?

Ed
The boat blew off and when it landed a pack ruptured. I think. It does not hurt them to get wet apparently. And water does not put out the "fire".

Yummy! That boat must have been smokin fast!! :lol:
My daddy always said dont let the smoke out<YOU DID were you singing PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON?
I stopped by for a while Friday afternoon to see what was going on and was shown some pictures ( and video! ) of when this thing was cooking off. Song of the day was "Smoke on the water".................

Dick Tyndall

Apparently the fire extinguishers needed are very expensive. And they do keep burning whilst underwater :lol:

The best soloution apparently is to have a bucket of sand handy to smother the fire ;)

I saw the aftermath of a friends airplane trailer where his LiPo's exploded and caught fire while charging. Not a perty site. And heard about another guy loosing part of his house from a LiPo fire. I don't feel too bad about spending $500 for a CMB nitro motor any more.

DonB

Yummy! That boat must have been smokin fast!! :lol:
My daddy always said dont let the smoke out<YOU DID were you singing PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON?
I stopped by for a while Friday afternoon to see what was going on and was shown some pictures ( and video! ) of when this thing was cooking off. Song of the day was "Smoke on the water".................

Dick Tyndall
Dicky, sure you didn't pass gas near it and that was the end result???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the automotive world what you have there is a Thermal Event. When I worked on the electric Ranger program for Ford, we never had a fire that was a four letter word, we had thermal events.

Josh-

Looks like Herb was designing a new lipo fire containment device.. On the bright side it worked!

We deal with lipos all the time.. we follow a few safety procedures and keep in mind the power of this style of battery.

Just some of the stuff we do…

We do all our charging on ceramic tile in a lipo sack

We do all our storage and transportation in ammo cans

If a battery suffers an impact its up on watch 20 minuets and then charged and checked.. 99% of the time they fully survive.

Donts with a lipo..

Dont charge the battery unattended.

Dont think it can not happen to you.

and

Truth is, dead, in use or charging treat the battery as if its ready to go..

Grim

I very much doubt that the fire was anything more than the plastic shrink wrap burning. Ordinary extinguishers would work. There have been several tests where people deliberately tried to cause lipo fires and, though spectacular by model standards, the shrink wrap was all that burned. My experience with lipos is that they are much tougher than nickle metal hydride or lead acid batteries. If they are properly charged and discharged using quality chargers and speed controls designed for lipos, they last a long time. Electric motors are much different than internal combustion engines. They continue to operate when overloaded until something melts. In my case it has been motors and speed controls. Experienced electric racers can be very helpful in avoiding these accidents. I have the advantage of racing with some of the best.

Lohring Miller

Back