Villian S1 Maiden Voyage ....

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sjhauge

Finallly ;D We got on the water today with a new Villian S1.

I must say that the boat is a work of art. Mike Z. happened to be at the pond as well just watching & with two minor adjustments (front weight & thrust angle) the boat is 95 % plus race ready. The boat with a K&B SS on it was definitely in the mid to upper 40's down the straights. It turns on a dime & accellerates like a fuel car. I would personally like to thank Mike Z. & Big Bryon for making this kit available to the public. It was a very big project over the winter.

Check out www.grimracer.com for more info.

The Villian will give ANY boat on the market today a run for it's money & more than likely more than it can handle.

Hey SJ,

Think yer right, the Villain is gonna be the hull to beat this year, Cant wait to see how everyone does with them.

Gene 8)

Holy crap!!

Steve's Villain is faster then- - well you know-- I have seen my boat make passes at 48mph lap after lap after lap. Steve's boat ran the same way mine did bit with a little more speed at the big end. Its possible that the motor is going to be to high for heat racing -or- that the thing is just plane faster then mine.

The first race of the season is going to be a trip.

I think its time to step up my motor program.

Grimracer

Grimmm,

Are you going to race your stocker in the mod class? How do you think it will compete against those boats? Results sound great so far,

Charley

"Wouldn't it be nice to get a second chance??!?"

Charley

Have you no respect for my tainted past?? Just giving you guff..

To tell you the truth I have been lucky enough to win both dist4 and dist6 21 mod tunnel with my Villain "stock motor".. If memory serves me right I have done this more then one time with a stock powered Villain..

I'm such a spaz I cant remember..

I can tell you this its a real trip to win a mod race with a stock setup.. Makes even the fast piped guys re-think there racing program.

However we are going to be testing with pipes this year.. I can not believe I just said that.. Pipes!!! Man what is this world coming too.

As far as pipes go I'm not in the dark to the speeds and performance that a good Hopper or LeeCraft can give. It is not an easy task to make a kit that can handle the power of those PW's.

The villain has a lot of potential and we have a lot more in our hip pocket.

Grimracer

Grimracer,

Just wanted to make sure so when I beat you with my white topspeed tunnelhull I can thank Great Planes.. ;D ;D ;D ;)

Anyway, my brother and I hope to make it up on June 1st for the WI State Championships. I think I am going to race rigger and mono and my brother will race my tunnel.

Good luck this year,

Charley

Mister T

I have a car show that weekend. Its a big one for our town and the company Rods & Customs (the place i do airbrush work for) will be displaying my truck indoors.

We went to this show last year but my truck was not done at that time. I wil also be giving a airbrush demo in the tech building so my weekend is screwed.

I try to take care of Mark at Rods and Customs. He has a JBI spray booth that i have free access to!! He also uses the best clear coat money can buy, and i do not have to buy a gallon at a time!! If you know what i mean. Becides they are cool people that beleve the best way is not always the quickest way. It is done right or not at all.

His shop has poor lighting, its in an old building, but You shoud see some of the stuff that rolls out of there!! Its nuts..

Grim

well let me know your first chicago area race and ill get you a whole box (16 rolls) of that magic tape ;)

Chaz

You know what? I have never had a real good look at a Top speed. I have seen them run and also heard rumors as to how they came about, but that's about it.

I have never driven one.

The top speed looks like it runs like a leecraft and with that said, Its most likely the best plastic tunnel boat you can buy.

However there are about a million different types of polystyrene and they have to use the worst.

A little fact about plastic boats: If you let the sun bake on them in a crooked boat stand or strange position, the second you place the boat back in the water it sets to that position. Be careful.. You can ruin a hull :p

VILLAIN S1 ROCKS

Grimracer

Mister T

The tape i have is going to last me a looooonnnggg time.

Thanks ;D

Hey where are you Gene, I thought you would comment on the Topspeed - I thought you use one as a dyno!

Just checked back in here ;D

Topspeed oh Yeah !!!!!! I used it as a on the water tuning dyno, prop tester, servo tester, tuned pipe tester, great little hull, Bang for the Buck award too!!!!!

Gene 8)

Hay Grim

maybe I ought to put my raped thunder tiger on my Villian S1 #0007 !!!

What do you think? ( ha ha ha) :D :D :D :D

;D ;D ;D Second time on the pond & it is race ready. Two minor adjustments & YE HA, we have ignition....The thing handles like it is on a rail & is a BULLET. At 3#12oz the thing has exceptional acceleration & it is NOT loose. This is the easiest boat to tune I have ever owned. ;D ;D Check out a video of the boat at www.grimracer.com

YE HAA, I'll bet you had a grin on too! My son has been bugging me for another 21 tunnel and this could be the one! now I gotta get rid of my 7.5 barge of a tunnel boat. Wait 'til I show him the video!

3 lbs 12oz and on the water!! That thing rocks.. Sorry about the hoots and hollers on the video but holy man that thing is fast.

Hea Crash.. The TT 21 that you have with the pipe on it is faster then heck.. To bad its so heavy.. However It still might be worth a shot. I have a feeling that you will have a SS on it soon!! I think dist 6 member and building buddy Brother Ron is going to test his tonight.

After Jerry D's first round of testing I was concerned that i may have missed something during development of the kit. However we have not had any low speed handling problems with the Villain S1 on the video, Or the proto for that matter.. The boat does not chine walk, dig, or stumble at any speeds. I got to drive the boat on the Video and tried to blow it off and did not. Not on this day anyway. Thanks Steve for letting me drive the boat. It feels light on its heals and has super acceleration, with no uglys. Good job building and setting the boat up.

I was testing my OB hydro.. and let Crash drive it ...we still need practice don't we...LOL

It was just great to get out and run a boat..

Grimracer

A couple of things on the Villain S1:

1. When I first ran the boat, I had too much throw on the rudder. I reduced the amount of throw and the low speed handling problem was eliminated.

2. I glued 3 oz. of lead to the inside cowling nose. I'm not sure exactly where that puts the CG, but it works very well now.

3. Running the Villain S1 with a piped 21(like a CMB 21 LS) might be a real challenge. I'm seriously thinking of adapting(o.k., stealing) some of the construction/design ideas Mikie has with the S1 and doing a "CS2" - that's "Copied," and probably a "cs" thing to do, but there's some really good concepts in the S1. The boat would be 30" in length, but probably not more than 4 to 6 oz. heavier than the S1. I think more power needs more boat.

Jerry D. :)

Hey Jerry,

Have you tried your CMB on the Villain yet or is it just an assumption that the boat is too small for the extra power?

Tim.

Tim,

No, I haven't tried the CMB LS OB on the Villain. Last year I tried running a CMB Gold Head on my Dunlap 27 and felt it was overpowering the hull. I installed the Gold Head on my JD WOF 29 and it worked very well. That's the combo that won the 2001 NAMBA Nats for me in 3.5 Mod Tunnel. This year I have a CMB LS on a HTB 290 and really like this package :D . This boat/motor is reviewed in the August 2002 issue of RC Boat Modeler.

Jerry D.

Jerry

Do you feel that it was the weight or the length of 29 that held the power of your CMB?

Mike

Back