video vintage outboard race

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way KQQL, the detail is awesome.
default_cool.png

These are such fantastic boats , here is a link to 152 VO`s website http://www.152vo.de/index.php/community/die-152vo-rennboote.html they have alot of cool pictures and there is a english tab to change the language you just have to hunt for it. I would love to see these boats with 3.5 nitro outboards. The electric allows them to build the boats with more detail , but they lack that real racing sound that a combustion engine provides. I`d love to see Mike from MLBoatworks "Kneeler" hull develope into a vintage APBA style class. Cool video thanks for sharing
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
In looking into this RC format, have you found any sites that sell laser cut kits, scale drivers, etc. Looks like a good race venue for old worn out RC boat racers. Thanks for any INFO. GRAYDDS

Hi Gray

You ask Jan Ilmer from the Netherlands, he has some nice kits to sell.

The BEN HUR 11' 3" by Hal Kelly. Sport and Scale Hydro forum.

Rgrds Marc

Just saw this. Way cool. Love the scale outboards they have on them especially the Merc stacker. And they are even going counter clockwise!

I got "Goose Bumps" when the F Hydros came out! Being from the Midwest back in the 50-60's my Dad and Del Compton battled like that at every race. Del had the same boat from the guy that built Hugh Entrop cabover with a six-banger merc and Dad ran the Ben-Hur with a tree cylinder Scott-Atwater.. That's when racing was Racing!!!!

Later!!

Pat

@ Darin & Gray:

"152VO Vintage Outboard Racing" is a trademarked racing cup, genuine 152VO kits are exclusively available at the 152VO Racing Store (see http://www.152vo.de/index.php/store/storekits.html). The Switzercraft Baby Bullet kit is currently the most competitive and most successful 152VO utility (double winner of the 2nd competition last year, and on this year's competition we actually had 3 Baby Bullets in the fastest closed course group of 5 boats). The Baby Bullet is available as a high-grade kit with diamond milled parts (no cheap laser cutting, no burnt edges!), all materials of the very best quality (e.g. 6 layers birch plywood, pearwood stringers, walnut dowels). Building instructions are bilingual (german / english) with many 3D drawings. The kit is very easy to build even for the beginner and the boat runs phantastic! But take care: driving this boat is highly addictive.
default_biggrin.png
(More kits and racing accessories will follow soon.)

I got "Goose Bumps" when the F Hydros came out! Being from the Midwest back in the 50-60's my Dad and Del Compton battled like that at every race. Del had the same boat from the guy that built Hugh Entrop cabover with a six-banger merc and Dad ran the Ben-Hur with a tree cylinder Scott-Atwater.. That's when racing was Racing!!!!

Later!!

Pat
Dear Pat and the other people, on behalf of the members of the 152VO thank you for the nice reactions.

I have a question for Pat do you have any pictures or plans from the time that your father was racing the boats? I have a building thread here where i built the Ben Hur.

Greetings,

Jan Ilmer

Jan,

What you ask is straining my alzhiemers mind!! I remember the Ben Hur Cabover was featured in Popular Mechanics Magazine back in the late '50's. I'm racking my brain to think of the mans name it's Hal ??? He lived in Stuart, Fla. at the time and built several boats and had the plans published in the magazine at the time.. If you Google "World's First 100 MPH Outboard" that will show you what the Ron Jones Cabover that was driven by Hugh Entrop at Lake "X" in Winter Haven Fl. back in 1960. I believe he ran 106 mph, It wasn't chronicled other than in Midwest Outboard ASSN. my Dad ran 104 with the Scott-Atwater two weeks before in Cumberland Falls, Wi. I guess O.F. Christner had the power of the media at the time?? Good Lord I still can't think of Hal's last name somebody help me out here!! Good Luck!

Later!!

Pat

Jan,

I was so perplexed I had to find it!! The mans name is Hal Kelly. Google "Ben Hur Racing Hydroplane and there is photos and plans and all kinds of stuff! One of the pics they got there is of Floyd Wilson and Johnny Dortsch I believe with the G-4 and G-99 numbers. Hope this helps more!!

Later!!

Pat

Later!!

Pat
Great stuff , I was leaning to the left in my chair , had a few flashbacks !!!!

Back