Using a Flow Meter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Hudson

What are the magic numbers for the different sizes of motors. eg. 3.5 nova rossi, 7.5 cmb hr, 3.5 cmb rs, 45 picco.

What are the magic numbers for the different sizes of motors. eg. 3.5 nova rossi, 7.5 cmb hr, 3.5 cmb rs, 45 picco.
there are no magic numbers, every one who uses a meter has a different number, it is all depends upon the boat set up,, prop,, % of nitro, pipe setting and brand of pipe. You can get and Idea from my settings with a Boris meter, 3.5 N/R =100, 45 picco =66, 45 CMB =70

Good luck as these may or may not be even close for your set ups.

Walt Barney

Last edited by a moderator:
John,

And on my Boris Gen 3A meter one of my Nova Rossi 21's is set around 70.

My Picco 45 is set around 40.

My Topp 12 is set around 70.

Of course I run Zoom carbs and modified timings in all these motors.

I also pitch my propellers a little different so they come on once a little

heat is in the motor.

Your Motors Will Vary Also,

Mark Sholund

My #'s are more like thew ones that Mark Sholund posted. We are at a higher elevation up here in the north. I think that makes a huge difference. For example the guy's down south say the run there 3.5's at around 100. I can not make any 3.5 motor up here in MN run leaner than like 83.

Mark

And it depends on the viscosity of your fuel & the air quality for that day. Also Boris Makes a 5 volt flow meter (generation 1) and a 6 volt meter (gen 2) they run diff rpm & flow difffernt CFM. You need to find a Good needle by ear then double check & record the numbers.

All the old school propane meters run different numbers between them. I have checked a few back to back with mine. So there is no magic numbers. There are only ball parks numbers. I use mine mostly as a trouble shooting tool.

Mike

Thanks guys for your advice. I have ordered a Boris flow meter. My aim is to find a consistent base setting. over here in sunny Queensland, Australia the temp and humidity fluctuates a lot during the day.

the hull can play a large part in #'s. i run the same .21 cmb ls evo2 in a rigger, mono & on a tunnel. the zipp jae .21 is 100, the speedmaster mono is 90, & the vision tunnel is 94. my k&b .21 sport tunnel engine on a villain is 84. granted, all different pipes & props, but everything on wildcat 65/18 promix.

joe, not sure about the other versions of boris' meter, but my gen 2 is a 6 cell/2000 mah pack. instructions call for full charge of 8.35 volts, recharge at 7.35 volts.

mark, it **** sure is, i love my gen 2 boris meter.

Newiest meter GEN 3 is LI-POLY battery powered & it require a Voltage Regulator that can be selected for different voltages. If any ones meter has the li-poly balancer plug sticking thru the face of the meter it is LI POLY battery powered. Allows for 300 min of run time without re-charge.

Thanks guys for your advice. I have ordered a Boris flow meter. My aim is to find a consistent base setting. over here in sunny Queensland, Australia the temp and humidity fluctuates a lot during the day.
JOHN, When you establish a good set of numbers it will keep you on a Good Needle every time. as we had talked about above.. Viscosity of the fuel, elevation & the quality of air will change the numbers. so it is hard to obtain good numbers from someone else. The oil in the fuel & the percentages of oil is a big factor in different number from one boater to another. even if you are talking about the same engine & boat set up.. Next will be the ever changing Air Quality for the time of year or for the temp swings in the same day. Hope this helps with your new purchase!!!!

I have played with boats for a long time but never had a flow meter.I know it is used to set the needle.How do they work?

thanks

Daryl

It measures flow through the needle with back pressure. It adjusts for atmosphereic conditions. All you have to do is run your boat and get it setup great. At that time you take a reading. Now everytime you go out to run your boat, you adjust your needle to the reading you took early when you boat was working great. You need to not change anything on the boat for this reading to be good. Same setup, fuel, pipe length, prop, motor.

Mike

Ok. I ran my cmb hr 45 with a parabolic pipe on a Phil Redhouse 45. I got it was honking however launch was getting very difficult to launch due to the shocking heat and humidity. I would do 6 laps before i could finally get it up. Then damm. I never damaged the plug. Im looking forward to using a flow meter to obtain data and be consistent over a race meeting. Going on sound and smoke is challenging especially when you cannot hear your boat.

john, whatever flow meter you use, run your boats alone, find a good needle, bring the boat in & flow it. that is your base # for that boat. repeat as needed for differnt boats. also sounds like your pipe may be a little short for HOT weather.

john, whatever flow meter you use, run your boats alone, find a good needle, bring the boat in & flow it. that is your base # for that boat. repeat as needed for differnt boats. also sounds like your pipe may be a little short for HOT weather.
Robin is probably right on the pipe length. I switched from the parabolic to the Macs 10CC Aero pipe- seems to be better(or more consistant).

Glenn

Robin your older meter can be updated to LI POLY if you return it to Boris
I'm upgrade several GEN-II flow meters for LIPO battery and hi performance voltage regulator. Also I supply LIPO charger/balancer. Upgraded flow meter set for 5 V (or 6 Volt by request for 90 or bigger motors). Boris

thanx, boris; i like my gen 2. it will go a race weekend on 4 boats just fine. thanx for a killer product/tool :ph34r: :D !

Latest posts

Back