used scale boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to run scale you'll pay the price My two wing Exide bare hull vaccum formed $750.00 Paint $150.00 or so Clear was more $289.00+taxes Cndn.Now hardware strut 47.00 rudder 67.95 motor mounts 69.00 flex cable 35.00 strut bushing 3.00 motor 660.00 Cndn tuned pipe 80.00 pipe bracket 10.00 or so muffler 60.00 and not to mention the little things like fuel tanks and driver radio box pushrods All prices I've mentioned are in Canadian dollars as well except for hull which is in US dollars AND ALSO BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS MASKIN ,PAINTING (PRICELESS).the list goes on so buddy there with the 2.200 is not a bad price it is reasonable.I guess it is How bad do you want to run scale with a complete boat that is ready to run??????????????????

nice boats Harry think you might come through Evansville again? your welcome at our races any time....Mike

We'd like to come back again this year. I am going with Don and the crew to run the full size 1982 Atlas in Detroit, but then also trying to get back to the USGP again.

I foolishly took up electric RC Formula One cars this winter. Man, what an ego crusher. I went from being pretty good at boats to almost always last at the F1 cars.

BTW, my new 1994 Bud is "really pretty" even compared to the old one.

Harry

Ok I think he's been beaten up with the numbers enough. I kind of got the hairs up on the back of my neck to when I read his comments as well. Problem is not everyone can or wants to pay the kind of money alot of us put into a scale boat. By the looks of things I kind of put myself in that club with Don and Harry and numerous others that really go all out to make a pretty boat. I stopped counting how much I have into my Exide, my Circus, my Miller, the Squire I sold and so on. I just try to enjoy the boats, the history and all the other reasons many of us got into this money magnet class. My dad happens to also be my CPA and he just shakes his head when he does my taxes. Of course he doesn't do it much anyore after let him drive the Exide once. He was so scared to drive it until I showed him that is was such a Cadillac to drive since you can take your hand off the wheel and it tracks perfect in the straights. I know he's bit.....even at 82 he's wantin' to drive it again. That makes it worth every **** cent in my book. Somewhere there's a credit card commercial in there I think....

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to run scale you'll pay the price My two wing Exide bare hull vaccum formed $750.00 Paint $150.00 or so Clear was more $289.00+taxes Cndn.Now hardware strut 47.00 rudder 67.95 motor mounts 69.00 flex cable 35.00 strut bushing 3.00 motor 660.00 Cndn tuned pipe 80.00 pipe bracket 10.00 or so muffler 60.00 and not to mention the little things like fuel tanks and driver radio box pushrods All prices I've mentioned are in Canadian dollars as well except for hull which is in US dollars AND ALSO BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS MASKIN ,PAINTING (PRICELESS).the list goes on so buddy there with the 2.200 is not a bad price it is reasonable.I guess it is How bad do you want to run scale with a complete boat that is ready to run??????????????????
ok buddy what ever you say i have had 4 scale boats and still have one and it didnt cost no where near that price to build.

Well then you can ask Mike Hallam about it then as well as others in District two on how muchBert Dygert has sold his boats for. All parts where bought at Hallam marine hobby.I'm not tryimg to start an argument but ,parts, boat,hardware, does add up and that will affect the price even a used hull.Look I do realize that this topic is like beatin a dead horse but thats just the way it goes sorry for any inconvience.But you asked about a used scale well sorry for offering mine I guess if you can get a brand new one for less well then so be it.Like I said Sorry for the INCONVIENCE.But the only reason I said anything about my boat being for sale is that I'm waiting on another one from Troy McIntire which I'm paying $650.00+ shipping to canada also I've built eight scale boats and still building and every one has been over and above $2.500.00.So if you can build one for less I want a couple.

nice boats Harry think you might come through Evansville again? your welcome at our races any time....Mike

We'd like to come back again this year. I am going with Don and the crew to run the full size 1982 Atlas in Detroit, but then also trying to get back to the USGP again.

I foolishly took up electric RC Formula One cars this winter. Man, what an ego crusher. I went from being pretty good at boats to almost always last at the F1 cars.

BTW, my new 1994 Bud is "really pretty" even compared to the old one.

Harry

Got any pics of your new one Harry im almost done with A Red N Gold one and just got this t-4 to replace my old one that makes 3 for me with the RedMan looks like the RedMan will set on the trophy shelf for awhile....Mike

12 years ago I built a 1/8 scale Miss Madison. I bought a new fibreglass hull but a used OPS motor and hand built many of the hardware parts. I spent around $1100. dollars and had a led sled. The boat was over weight, The motor had NO low end torque and unless I had a pro baseball pitcher launching the boat, It would not get up on the pipe. Needless to say, I sold it after a year of frustration. This time I bought all new stuff and had someone who knew what they were doing set up my new CMB. I spent $2200. and I painted the boat myself. Oh ya the paint cost around $150. (my cost) After the initial break in it only took 3 days to get the boat EXTREMELY competitive. And it is a blast to drive.

My point is, I learnt my lesson! Don't buy a boat unless you have the money to do it RIGHT the first time. ............Unless of corse you live in Nevada where everything costs half as much.

your right everything does cost less in nevada we have 99 cent breakfast and $2.50 buffets here so the boats should cost less everything less does. :D

Hey Harry, is that Gilmore a glass or wood hull? :)
Glass boat, run by David and Gary Jensen.
$600 for a painted 'glass hull is a good deal. Send me some shots of the engine well/radio box areas, transom & bottom run surfaces to my regular e-mail- [email protected] . I might know someone who would be interested and is looking to get into the scale class B)

Hey Harry, is that Gilmore a glass or wood hull? :)
Glass boat, run by David and Gary Jensen.
$600 for a painted 'glass hull is a good deal. Send me some shots of the engine well/radio box areas, transom & bottom run surfaces to my regular e-mail- [email protected] . I might know someone who would be interested and is looking to get into the scale class B)

Wood Boat. Designed and built by Les Ruggles... a Northwest Legendary Designer. Completed and race modified by Jensen Racing. Let me know if you have any other questions Don.

David Jensen

Don would know. The photo of his Smokin Joe you see on his posts is a perfect example of what it takes to build and paint a scale boat to look like the real thing. He put enough hours in that boat to top the $2500 dollar mark you are talking about on labor alone. I saw him build and paint the model and have a pretty good idea how much work was involved. If he sold the boat for labor costs alone......no one could afford it!

Don would know. The photo of his Smokin Joe you see on his posts is a perfect example of what it takes to build and paint a scale boat to look like the real thing. He put enough hours in that boat to top the $2500 dollar mark you are talking about on labor alone. I saw him build and paint the model and have a pretty good idea how much work was involved. If he sold the boat for labor costs alone......no one could afford it!
Building a Concours quality scale unlimited is definitely a labor of love for the class as you certainly won't get rich at it. Hmmmm well let's see now, based on a rather conservative $50 per hour rate, $2,500 would be a deposit. There is probably over 100 hours build time with all the mods & corrections included and that's just labor, no materials or supplies. Guess this one's a keeper. :)

I would like to see your scale's. "one man's trash is another man's treasure." is what comes to mine. You want a deal but at the same time you think you can do better then anything else out there for 1/4th the price. Show us please. I know I will pay $100 or more for the correct stickers for my boat. I just want to see what you think is good work.

Back