Wing strut size

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is an 1/8th scale size diameter for a wing strut on a modern era hydro? The RC Boat Company strut kit uses a 3/16” diameter aluminum rod. Is this close to scale? I think most of the big boats in reality run an airfoil (elliptical) shaped strut.

Probably is too big. I don't think I've seen a boat yet that had more than an inch or 1.5 since they are just bracing. In fact, on the full-sized boats, the brace rods actually pull the top of the tails inward to hold the wing. The wings are actually designed to come off if the tail internal structure is damaged, that structure also being made from approximately an inch thick tubing except where hardware is attached to it.

On my 1/6 scale I used .125 solid aluminum rod from K&S then threaded it 6/32 for the fittings at each end. It is very soft and pliable though

Attachments

• Finished (9).jpg
    Finished (9).jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 1
Probably is too big. I don't think I've seen a boat yet that had more than an inch or 1.5 since they are just bracing. In fact, on the full-sized boats, the brace rods actually pull the top of the tails inward to hold the wing. The wings are actually designed to come off if the tail internal structure is damaged, that structure also being made from approximately an inch thick tubing except where hardware is attached to it.
Thanks for the input. I’ve never really been up close enough to get an idea of what all goes on in the transom area

On my 1/6 scale I used .125 solid aluminum rod from K&S then threaded it 6/32 for the fittings at each end. It is very soft and pliable though
I like it!!! Looks really good.
I would have done it slightly different for that set up . I would have gotten some .150 rod in either 6061 or 7075 as it's stronger than what K&S has. It's a bit harder to thread as well but it wouldn't bend quite as easy. The reason for the .150 is that it is the scale equivalent to the 1" used on a majority of the full sized boats.
Now comes the bad news. Was doing some checking and found I can only get 6061 in .125 or .187 and 7075 in .250. Guess I'll have to go undersized as well unless I want to turn the 7075 down on my lathe. Seems like using the 6061 will be a better option :oops:

Last edited:
MacMaster-Carr should have or could have stainless steel tube. I used to buy it at the hobby shops that also had slot car drag racing. A lot of Chassie kits use this material for the main rails and such. Only seen it in 1 foot pieces. Don't know if that's too short or not... Can't remember what sizes we ran. But, worth a look. Not real heavy because it's hollow and fairly thin wall.

Ken

Back