Universal IB/OB starter ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmazor

Dear boaters! I ask your opinion. I'm not happy with my universal starter.

Original idea of inboard starter belong to Bill McGrow with his Speedmaster handle. I just found better design with powerful 12 V motor, solenoid and LIPO battery. More 30 starters used now!

Outboard, as well as airplane starter, need different ergonomic design! I think Dynatron starter with side switch much suitable for these purpose. It is heavier and need 18 V battery and it already exist!

Boris.

Check this at HOBBY KING. This starter cost ~$80 + shipping. Can be found at US warehouse

Turnigy Lipoly Belt Drive Starter for 2-stroke 160 & 90 Size Gas Engines.
A high efficiency motor combined with a reduction belt system make this a smooth starting and easy to hold starter motor. Equipped with an aluminum starter cone and round rubber insert for helicopter and airplane spinner cones.
Easy-press start switch makes starting easy without requiring heavy finger pressure and a built-in finger-guard promises safe starts. The smaller diameter motor case also means it's easier to hold when starting large motors.
The Turnigy Lipoly Belt Drive starter has an adjustable carrying cage for a 4s1p 14.8v 2200mAhLipoly or similar or 2 x 2000mAh 7.2v Nimh Packs. A selection of connection options includes, pre-ttached Tamiya plugs for two 2S batteries and alligator clips for easy attachment to a 12V battery with the help of a Tamiya plug on the other end.

Size: 215 x 63 x 135mm
Weight: 1077g
Engine class: Airplane 2-stroke 160 class /Heli 2-stroke 90 class
Suitable battery;
2 x 7.2v 2s 2000mAh Nimh
4S1P 14.8V 2200mAh Lipoly
PB (Lead-acid battery) 12V DC power source

Torque;
36kg/cm (2000mAh Nimh)
45kg/cm (2200mAh Lipoly)
41kg/cm (PB Lead Acid)

*Note: Do not use more than 18V

PRODUCT ID: #30103

boris

i don't think for outboards you need all the torque to start them like a inboard.. i also think you could save some weight and make the frame you mount the motor and stuff to out of delrin or nylon. i would think it would hold up.

the one issue i have had is the whole thing is alum. and as it happens i had it laying in a box and it shorted out between the relay and motor and arced out a battery. my fault but it would be nice if that stuff was covered ( concealed ) so there is no change of arcing anything across the motor, relay ect.

other than that. a switch to revers for the outboard guys and off you go

Boris, add a second button to the opposite end of the handle or the bracket on your starter & a pulley/cone combo on the shaft! The added button would make it MUCH easier to operate in the vertical position for ob's. Then it would be ideal for ib & ob engines of all sizes (-;

Latest posts

Back