TWIN Sport 45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Warren

Who ownes the Twin Sport 45 that as bult & raced around Dist 5 for a few years??... :blink: ... is that paticular boat grandfathered in legal? Marty you got it?????... :unsure:

Who ownes the Twin Sport 45 that as bult & raced around Dist 5 for a few years??... :blink: ... is that paticular boat grandfathered in legal? Marty you got it?????... :unsure:

That was a Phil Thomas Sport 40 with [2] Novarossi RX21 L/S motors.......It was built by James Phillips.......

The boat debuted at the I believe the1998? Internats and it really showed great promise and it immediately mobilized a group to get it thrown out.

I remember there was a big hoohaa about it being a 3point or 4 point boat design.......As I recall after much discussion the boat was deemed illegal and not Grandfathered in.

The decision to make the boat illegal pretty much ended model boating for James Phillips.....He sold off all his RC boating gear and

the last "rumor" I heard is that Marty ended up with that boat.......

I raced against it at 2000 internats too. It was a fast boat but not a big advantage over other boats. That guy Bobby from the Indy club had it then.

James did build it, he had to have twins in everything or it didnt race.

Phillips was part of the Nashville crew. He was a regular in Huntsville Al. He bought the original Twin 90 Eagle from Maynard Cagle and put Gerarghty CMB 90 EVOs in it. For several years he "SPANKED!!!" the Huntsville crew in Twin and F hydro. As I recall most of the rigging in the Twin Sport 40 was done by the late Terry Moore (Boatsouth). The boat had poor to average speed.

I saw it run at the 2000 internats.. it was OK.. but did not win the class.

Grim

Last time I heard of this boat, Bobby from the Indy area owned it. Can not think of Bobby's last name.

Allen

Bobby Coleman has the boat and he got screwed right after he purchased it by making it illegal.

Was the Legal OR Not Legal fact that it had 2 Struts? if it did not have a performance edge seems funny someone thought enough to make it GO AWAY! I seen it run 1 time & it was a pretty cool little boat.... :p

Was the Legal OR Not Legal fact that it had 2 Struts? if it did not have a performance edge seems funny someone thought enough to make it GO AWAY! I seen it run 1 time & it was a pretty cool little boat.... :p

As I recall the fact that it had [2] struts making it a [4] point by definition is what killed it........the Sport 40 rules still state that Sport 40's have to be a [3] point design..........

When I seen it run in Indy it had two 21 nova rossi in it If I remember.

Dave Roach

Bobby is a real nice guy,he had a heart attack a few years back and has not raced since but always came by the pond when we were there

Back