Twin riggers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Webb

What is the fascination for twin engine riggers? I've wondered for years that. Everything is doubled in cost etc. but not in performance.

I've wondered the same thing. Sure would love to have one but a single engine gives me enough trouble!!

Sure are beautiful and sound amazing though.

Guy's it's the top of the game when it comes to racing ovals and is probably the most rewarding. If you are ADD like most A types personalities it keeps ya plenty busy and if it doesn't you end up with two or three of them and working on two or three of the others in the club. And most importantly if you like adrenaline rushes that's the class to be in because after one heat in a national race you will be shaking so bad it's insane!!! Pass ya later Charlie

It is definitely the sound !!!!! A few years back, my son and I put a couple of Irwin Quite Pipes on our 80 RoadrunnerTwin. When it went by all you heard was the roostertail falling in the water. We also had an increase in the speed by 5 MPH (Radar Gun). However, there was a down side. We could not here it running in the pit with five other boats. So back we went to the obnoxious but ever so sweet sound of a twin on nitro pipes. Would like to drag it back out but can't find anyone to pay for the fuel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

What is the fascination for twin engine riggers? I've wondered for years that. Everything is doubled in cost etc. but not in performance.
To me it's not about money or the cost when you own a twin that goes out the window. You don't get same same rush when you have a twin and you run a single boat. As far as performance it's hard to beat a really fast running twin.

Won my first twin in the the mid 1980's at the Indy Unlimited. Took 2nd place lost first by 50 points. Martin Davis called for me. I was running a Competition 60. We have been running twins since. Multiple different motors and hulls.

There is no bigger headache but no bigger rush to have the sound and POWER. It is the top rung of model boating like TopFuel. A vary challenging build ,set up, and keeping it running. If it was EASY everyone would run a twin!

BTW a new twin is ready for paint in my shop and will be ready for the Nitro Nationals.

I dont run one , nor can I afford too
default_ohmy.png
But pitting around and watching Go Fast and a few others around here, I can see the addiction
default_wink.png

Doc nailed it with - " It is the top rung of model boating like TopFuel. A vary challenging build ,set up, and keeping it running. If it was EASY everyone would run a twin! "

BTW , that wouldnt be the new boat coming from the other side of the pond in your avatar pic would it J ???
default_blink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive never raced a twin nor even driven one in 30+ years of model boat racing......quite honestly don't think I could do it ......the reason I say that is that for several years ive had the pleasure (most of the time
default_tongue.png
) of pitting for an AWESOME friend who is EXTREMELY good at driving/racing big assed twins, and I can say that even as a lowly(
default_biggrin.png
)pit man, the intensity/focus/adrenaline rush is incredible! 4 to 6 twins running in a heat race is so fast and so violent....6 laps are over in the blink of an eye! There are single engine boats that can compete with twins, as there is simply less mass and weight to turn a single engine boat than a twin, but what ive seen happen with a single engine boat in a heat race with twins more often than not is the poor boat gets swallowed up in the HUGE HOLES that a twin makes! Expensive? OH MY GOD ITS INSANE!!
default_wacko.png
Ive seen how much fuel my buddy goes thru in a weekend of racing twins and it gives me the shakes, much less the cost of the boat.....but HEY if you got it, spend it because you cant take a penny of it with ya when ya go!!
default_wink.png
default_smile.png
If I had it, I wouldn't give it a second thought, even though I still don't think I have the skill/reaction time to drive one....they really are that fast and powerful! The other thing I wanted to mention is just an observation.....ive never seen much in the way of yelling or arguing during or after a twin race...I didn't say it never happens, ive just never seen much of it, and I think the reason for that is that most of these guys are so happy to get their boats back in one piece, along with still being in the zone from racing, there is simply not much to say! TWINS ARE AWESOME!!
default_smile.png

As some else said. Wish there was a "like" button here!...lots of great responses!

The posted question is like asking, "why buy a 170+ mph Super car when the speed limit is only 70?".

Just OWNING a Twin can be a RUSH even if one never races it or even runs it much or at all!

I think twins are sorta like some body once said- it's an addiction- THANKFULLY I controlled myself from that- NOTHING like fuel dragsters lighting off- back in day the SHOW was Garlits........Chitown Hustler funny car.....and THE tops: The Surfers.... Mike Sorokin.....the noise that car put out.....so different....all these racers to first figure out the combo to burn LOTS of nitro to run hard- twin racing gets a guy into all that.....sweet to master that!

Enough of all those old (sweet) memories-

Dave Richardson

As some else said. Wish there was a "like" button here!...lots of great responses!

The posted question is like asking, "why buy a 170+ mph Super car when the speed limit is only 70?".

Just OWNING a Twin can be a RUSH even if one never races it or even runs it much or at all!
For any twin is a blast even this little guy lol

To be able to tune a twin and keep it running heat after heat is what it is about. Have won many F hydro and twin hydro events with the same boat. Almost won both classes in Hobart last year. Did win the Open class and blew the twin class with a bone head move. Got the crying towel to prove it.

POST-1~1_edited.JPG

Charles you forgot the nice smell of nitro
Nice smell is right but the back of my twin is like being behind a fuel car can't see can't breath oh so nice.

Talk about test runs this is one of my first runs as I was learning to sink the motors on my 90 twin.

Screenshot_2014-10-13-21-00-31.png

It isn't fir the weak at heart thats for sure.

I dont have one and can only dream, but from a spectator point of view it is awesome to hear,smell and watch.

Everyone jumps to their feet when they run and Im sure the drivers like that to some degree.

BAD BOYS,BAD BOYS< WHAT YOU GONNA DO WHEN THEY BLOW FUEL ON YOU!!!!!!!

Back