TWIN ELECTRIC SGX RIGGER

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Kingston

Boys my new toy...

Still got some prop work to do on it....

Why did i do it, well CAUSE I CAN, however riggers still do not excite me cause its just point and shoot. Maybe since its only being clocked at the 130km/h mark its not that great, but with some prop work still to come there should be every chance i can get it to 140-145 in oval trim and not kill anything. Actually i know i wont kill anything cause it doesnt have piece of crap castle ESC's in it. Cause they cannot even make it past plug in.

Its a 10s/1p rigger

5s/1p to each motor.

fits into the Aus rules of 1500grams for total cell weight for a 7-10s (EC) class.

pics to come on my page soon

ROCK ON

What Motors? Lehner I assume but what ones. Over Here in the States I am running a Gundert Falcon with a 2215 Neu at about 75 to 80 mph. 9s2P.

Why twins you could accomplish the same speed with singles? A couple of guys over here are running the SGX riggers at the same speeds on 6s or 8s and 1 P I think.

What Motors? Lehner I assume but what ones. Over Here in the States I am running a Gundert Falcon with a 2215 Neu at about 75 to 80 mph. 9s2P.

Why twins you could accomplish the same speed with singles? A couple of guys over here are running the SGX riggers at the same speeds on 6s or 8s and 1 P I think.

Why tiwn. Yeah could get the same speed out of a singe, there is another guy in our club with 2215/1y on 10s in a rigger and we are the same speed. But a TWIN. Ever tried getting close and passing through the massive holes that a twin puts out? Good luck. Plus i wanted something different.

Motors are 1527 nues and yeah SCHULZE cause castle hv240s suck....

Dave

David, I love it. That's it! I'm building a twin this winter. A P-hydro on the cheap, twin UL-1's or outrunners. I agree, "because I can", what better reason is there?

Brian

Yep - Cause I can... Although it is a VERY expensive because i can boat. Still it is worth every buck put into it. But still waiting on your 6s Rigger build. Wish i was quicker than Jim V in snapping that hull up when it was for sale.

I sent you an email about prop work. Let me know if you got it and if you have any suggestions im all ears...

Dave

Pics are being uploaded now folks....

From scratch designs to where it hits the water.

In my Gallery...

Dave

Some average fitter and turner i happen to know...

Gee-wiz... Had to get him to make adjustments to them twice.... LOL...

Mate they are super, and i couldnt have done it without your assistance.

Dave

Dave,

Looks like a very nice neat well done job on the whole boat! Not much in that big radio box with no throttle and mixture setups! :p Do the thrust bearings at the motor need lubrication or do you run them dry?

The rudder servo looks like a Futaba brushless digital? I bought one (a BLS 352) recently for my X mono but havent tried it yet, which one did you get? Does it steer your twin okay?

Ian.

Ian

There is heaps of room in the radio box without having throttle and mixture servos. I managed to get my prop weight approx 1/2inch to far fwd. Thats compared to what aaron measured his at. Which is all i really had to work from. If i was to make the boat again i would move the motors back another inch, so that would shorten up the radio box by and inch and it would make fitting in the controllers just a bit easier. Not that its a drama at the moment. Would also make prop weight that bit heavier.

I do put a drop of light oil on the thrust bearing at the front of the motor. CRC, WD40 is all i do. It stops that little bit of heat due to friction. Add to much and it flicks every where. I dont put it on there every run though. At the start of the day and end of the day, then wipe clean.

The servo that i use is futaba - found them the best for my applications. The one in the rigger is a BLS351. I also use the older version which is a 9351. From memory they are a 13 or 15Kg servo. Cost is about 180-200 Aus. Nice servo, and so responsive. I use them in all my boats. I got a much better feel from my boats when i went digital servos and i was surprised that they dont such as much power as i though they would.

Dave

Dave,

good job! Just saw the video on youtube. I assume this is not full speed on the straight. Nice setup though.

Back straight i was on and off the throttle, not a huge amount. But if i let go of the throttle this thing takes some time to slow down...

No letting off the throttle in the front straight. The video does not do it justice. I is much quicker than it appears in the video. The course that I was running through the middle is approximatly a 70m straight... So you can see just how quick it passes bouy 6 to bouy 1. Still early days and i do plan on getting much more out of this boat.

Testing new props in a few weeks and then i might test a different wind motor.

The goal is 140-145kmph oval racing trim. (90 miles) Thats not to unrealistic as i know of many boats that race at that speed. Just getting that last 15kmph is where the FUN starts and thats what i enjoy most about model boats. The challange to tinker, squeeze more out of everything, and get the full potential out of every race boat.

Dave

Ian

There is heaps of room in the radio box without having throttle and mixture servos. I managed to get my prop weight approx 1/2inch to far fwd. Thats compared to what aaron measured his at. Which is all i really had to work from. If i was to make the boat again i would move the motors back another inch, so that would shorten up the radio box by and inch and it would make fitting in the controllers just a bit easier. Not that its a drama at the moment. Would also make prop weight that bit heavier.

I do put a drop of light oil on the thrust bearing at the front of the motor. CRC, WD40 is all i do. It stops that little bit of heat due to friction. Add to much and it flicks every where. I dont put it on there every run though. At the start of the day and end of the day, then wipe clean.

The servo that i use is futaba - found them the best for my applications. The one in the rigger is a BLS351. I also use the older version which is a 9351. From memory they are a 13 or 15Kg servo. Cost is about 180-200 Aus. Nice servo, and so responsive. I use them in all my boats. I got a much better feel from my boats when i went digital servos and i was surprised that they dont such as much power as i though they would.

Dave
Dave,

The lighter prop weight may be less of an issue with the smaller props you use, only testing will tell.

I have been using digital steering servos (mostly JR) for years without issue, I noticed better handling from the first boat I tried them in! I havent tried the Futaba ones yet.

Ian.

Dave , great looking rigger ... i am tempted to start building one like that .. i have a brand new gas rigger here that like to get a sparky twin in her .. i have to see if i can manage that .

good show on the strutt's . do you adjust them exact the same and what props were you running ?

Jeroen

Jeroen

good show on the strutt's

What do you mean?

do you adjust them exact the same?

Yes sure do. I have a build/setup board that is massive for the twin. Got a cut out for the turn fin and a notch for the rudder. Make setting everything a breeze. It also have some spacer blocks now. Set to various thickness so i get the adjustment set correct. Kinda like feeler guage in a way.

What props were you running ?

On the first run a ran a 1460

The video run was a 1657 and slight cup.

Im pulling at close to 30K free load so 25k under load would be a reasonable guess.

I didnt get a chance to test this weekend. Got some.....

ABC H30 - cupped

1462 - cupped

Which i will play with on the current setup.

If i muck about with timming setting and perhaps change to a motor with slightly less RPM - 22k under load i might put on a ABC H45 and also H38 props...

Only testing will tell.

Dave

Back