twin build pictures

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious, so I'm going to ask a dumb question because I don't know.

It seems to me that if a rigger were balanced correctly and the lift on the props was correct, there would be no need for the skis on the back of the boat. Don't those skis actually drag in the water? It just stands to reason that if they drag in the water, that takes horsepower and when you lose horsepower, you lose speed.

Maybe I'm wrong. Please correct me if I am.

BTW, nice boat. Nice clean set up.

Yes its something to think about..

now its only booms that damage.. stronger booms might damage the hull more...

Great video, thanks for sharing. In slow motion it looks like the starboard sponson got tweaked first causing the wreck. What were the old boom tubes? What would be strong enough?

Great video, thanks for sharing. In slow motion it looks like the starboard sponson got tweaked first causing the wreck. What were the old boom tubes? What would be strong enough?
thanks matt

yes in the vid on the last lap it took a hit hard rounding the corner and i noticed the inside sponson pointing upwards then the next one she dunked most prob tub a bit too close the water

std alloy tubes 6060 with doublers inside thik i will try this looking at 6061 t6 but i will have to maching down to 16mm

of carbon fibre

cheers rick

5/8th's (.625") 6061 - T6 .058 wall tubes will take some serious punishment in a twin , Carbon is too expensive for me but many use it . I usually carry 2 sets of boom tubes cut to length for a race because as you have found out ..++it happens !!

I'm curious, so I'm going to ask a dumb question because I don't know.

It seems to me that if a rigger were balanced correctly and the lift on the props was correct, there would be no need for the skis on the back of the boat. Don't those skis actually drag in the water? It just stands to reason that if they drag in the water, that takes horsepower and when you lose horsepower, you lose speed.

Maybe I'm wrong. Please correct me if I am.

BTW, nice boat. Nice clean set up.
Skis are a instant Planing surface as soon as the boat is launched and the prop sucks the water across the ski it become a planing surface even before the boat pulls away from the bank...

5/8th's (.625") 6061 - T6 .058 wall tubes will take some serious punishment in a twin , Carbon is too expensive for me but many use it . I usually carry 2 sets of boom tubes cut to length for a race because as you have found out ..++it happens !!

tom i found some 6061 t6 here local its 5/8th's (.625") 6061 - T6 .049 wall

a bit thiner bit i will double it up with the next size down in the tub section

cheers rick

Use carbon fiber/fiberglass tubes. Stronger aluminum will not break but will break the sponsons and tub doing one of those nose in manuvers or hitting a bouey etc. . Have used carbon glass tubes for years. To me the only way to go.

cheers rick
Buy a 5/8 .065 wall You can ream it to fit the boom tube in the sponson

cheers rick
Buy a 5/8 .065 wall You can ream it to fit the boom tube in the sponson
hi joe

i can only get 5/8 in a .049 wall in the 6061 t6 its the largest available so i have doubled it with 1/2 .049 6061 t6

the other option i have is 2024 t3 5/8 .058 wall

see how things go next weekend we have our caribbean master race here in melboure australia

cheers rick

Rick,

The 2024 is a solid set up. I have went to that material on my vintage 101 set up.

Good luck at the Masters next week.

Mark

hi guys shes all fixed and ready to rock again

new booms and fix n repaint sponsons

cheers rick

DSCF3371.JPG

DSCF3372.JPG

Back