Twin 80 X Mono

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin,

I have been running a 35RS in both a cat and a rigger and looked at doing a mono a while ago with the same motor. Because that motor is a monster (weight, size) and has lots of torque it makes it real tricky to prop correctly without having all sorts of handling issues when using a single prop. I would agree that one of the popular gas heat racing monos would work well as long as the motor will fit. I thought the best layout would have been to use the MHZ gearbox with single input and twin counter rotating outputs. Its also overdriven so you could easily find 50~60mm props in left and right hand rotation. I notice that mnay of the large European boats are running large singles, inline twins to quads etc with the same gearbox and twin ouputs.

The 35RS makes tons of torque with its stock timing and pipe, but doesn't rev like a 26cc motor. If you modify yours to rev you will notice the life of the crank shorten signifigantly! One more thing, only use a sqaure drive with the 35RS. That motor is not designed correctly for any thrust forces on the crank.

Pics of my 35Srs in a cat are here: Stryker F41 with 35RS

My currect SGX 35 rigger pics here: SGX 35 Rigger with 35RS

Tyler

Kevin,

I have been running a 35RS in both a cat and a rigger and looked at doing a mono a while ago with the same motor. Because that motor is a monster (weight, size) and has lots of torque it makes it real tricky to prop correctly without having all sorts of handling issues when using a single prop. I would agree that one of the popular gas heat racing monos would work well as long as the motor will fit. I thought the best layout would have been to use the MHZ gearbox with single input and twin counter rotating outputs. Its also overdriven so you could easily find 50~60mm props in left and right hand rotation. I notice that mnay of the large European boats are running large singles, inline twins to quads etc with the same gearbox and twin ouputs.

The 35RS makes tons of torque with its stock timing and pipe, but doesn't rev like a 26cc motor. If you modify yours to rev you will notice the life of the crank shorten signifigantly! One more thing, only use a sqaure drive with the 35RS. That motor is not designed correctly for any thrust forces on the crank.

Tyler
hi tyler kevin here thanks for the pics sgx looks good how did it perform??? have you modded your motors??? and where did you get the pipe from???

thanks kevin.

They are fun, but don't expect them to be faster than the single.

Looking like its back to the single motor program for 2010 Foley ........
rolleyes.gif

You didnt wanna waste all that effort to still get spanked by that nasty GH90 anyhow did ya
wink.gif

Let the X-Mono wars for 2010 begin
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

Mad Dog out
wink.gif
andy don't make me give them motors to foley to break em in..lol , i might if i can get away come down and bring my 1 cube purple head to do some vintage big cmb racing..you race with rich and shawn junker at all?

tk

They are fun, but don't expect them to be faster than the single.

Looking like its back to the single motor program for 2010 Foley ........
rolleyes.gif

You didnt wanna waste all that effort to still get spanked by that nasty GH90 anyhow did ya
wink.gif

Let the X-Mono wars for 2010 begin
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

Mad Dog out
wink.gif
andy don't make me give them motors to foley to break em in..lol , i might if i can get away come down and bring my 1 cube purple head to do some vintage big cmb racing..you race with rich and shawn junker at all?

tk
THATS my boy ;)

Bring it on down Terry, we would love to have ya -

fresh meat and all :p

Besides 'Go Fast' needs all the help he can get right now for X-Mono power :blink: :blink: :blink:

Im gonna pay for that before the seasons out :lol:

Yep , the Junker's normally run at the Brandon and Tampa races.

Funny you mention racing with them :rolleyes:

Looks like a 40 SuperStock Tunnel in my future to run the new Storm Series :eek: :eek: :eek:

**** I just admitted that :p

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin,

Tyler
hi tyler kevin here thanks for the pics sgx looks good how did it perform??? have you modded your motors??? and where did you get the pipe from???

thanks kevin.

Kevin,

The SGX performs good, but not excellent. It's very heavy due to the motor and I hd to work with andy on several turnfins to keep the sponson planted in the water. After the bugs were worked out, she runs solid in the 70's. Its not really competitive in open heat racing unless you have an inside lane. It's mostly a crowd pleaser now as it sounds like a scalded cat when running at 21k RPM. I did mod the motor by increasing the intake timing, cleaning up the sharp edges on the ports and removing casting flash from the inside of the case. I cut the center nad out of the stock pipe which bumped the peak power, but hurt the low considerably. In hind sight I would have left the pipe stock.

There is a youtube video of it running:

Tyler

Back