Twin 80 X Mono

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ( salivating ) ..just can't swing it now it will take months to recover for the last couple of months at the shop . Thanks for the pics (carrot dangling ) !! :lol: :lol:

Ha ( salivating ) ..just can't swing it now it will take months to recover for the last couple of months at the shop . Thanks for the pics (carrot dangling ) !!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
we could always trade tom..hell i dont need the money..lol id just spend it anyhow, what ya got my friend?

tk

My first twin mono was a yellow Sightler. Then I made the first Twin Craft, which is as the name goes, a twin. I built many twin monos and have tried every setup imaginable. Set oval records with them, won US-1 with the Twin Craft 56 boat, done counter rotation, twin rudders, etc etc. What you wanna know?.

Okay Crowther-

Post them pics right about .........

NOW

We got him on the ropes
wink.gif

Andy
im posting pics here cuz i think foley is worried..lol he is scared to build this twin mono that is what junker told me..j/k here are the pics tom
biggrin.gif

tk
I could use those engines in my twin rigger. What you looking for other than money. I have stuff to trade. Take this to the "for sale" section.......

My first twin mono was a yellow Sightler. Then I made the first Twin Craft, which is as the name goes, a twin. I built many twin monos and have tried every setup imaginable. Set oval records with them, won US-1 with the Twin Craft 56 boat, done counter rotation, twin rudders, etc etc. What you wanna know?.
I'd love to see some pics of the Twin monos of any type , think it would be a cool thread all the way around . I was just wondering what size hull you or Gerry used . Not sure if this will work out but just an idea floating around . Thanks .

I'd love to see some pics of the Twin monos of any type , think it would be a cool thread all the way around . I was just wondering what size hull you or Gerry used . Not sure if this will work out but just an idea floating around . Thanks .
me too as well i might just have to keep the motors and fire me up a twin mono deal, sounds cool

tk

I think 48~52 " would be about right for a twin 80. I've got a prototype hull just about sheeted that I had planned to pull a mold from. Lofted a hull design while I was in Japan in the mid 90's. It's been framed and 3/4 sheeted for about 10 years now. So many projects, so little time..........

I'd be interested in the driveline setup: pitch between the props, depth , etc. Since the props are abour 1 1/2" off of the center of the keel, do you still make the prop C/L about 1/2" above the keel? Doing so would mean a semi submerged type setup (thru transom would make the prop C/L about 1~1 1/4" above the keel).

Common John, how about sharing your thoughts on twin monos?

I think 48~52 " would be about right for a twin 80. I've got a prototype hull just about sheeted that I had planned to pull a mold from. Lofted a hull design while I was in Japan in the mid 90's. It's been framed and 3/4 sheeted for about 10 years now. So many projects, so little time..........

I'd be interested in the driveline setup: pitch between the props, depth , etc. Since the props are abour 1 1/2" off of the center of the keel, do you still make the prop C/L about 1/2" above the keel? Doing so would mean a semi submerged type setup (thru transom would make the prop C/L about 1~1 1/4" above the keel).

I used the original 56 inch Twin Craft to set the oval record and win the nats in 1985 or somewhere around there. After that I decided the boat did not have to be so big. I built a 52 inch boat and then a 50 inch twin. The 50 inch twin was the best at about 13.5 to 14 inches in width at the transom. I can't remember width. It was 1.5 inches wider than a Twin Craft 46 inch boat, whatever that is. I ran it surface drive thru the transom with the prop shafts 5 1/4 inches apart. You might think the left prop would scream when the boat leans to the right for a turn, but it does not! The water coming off the keep fills the left prop totally. Imagine your in a swimming pool and you splash someone by pushing your palm forward on the water. That's what the keel does when the boat goes into a turn. All that water hits the left prop with force. Twin rudders will keep the boat linear thru the turns. Mount them just outside the props and with the leading edge of the rudder behind the trailing edge of the prop. The boat will turn like it's on rails.

We tried mounting the rudders in front and beside the props and the boats would not turn. Ask Steve Speas....That's what got him out of running twins. His rudders were not behind the props. A single rudder on the left cuts hard, a single rudder on the right is non reponsive if you need to turn left a little bit. A single rudder between the props is not linear, but extend it far behind the props and you get good leverage and control. We set up some 90 engines in a 56 inch boat that was totally awesome!!!! Counter rotation will make the boat track straight with no pull to the right, but the boat has no sense of steadyness and tends to wobble as it goes down the straightaway. I like the same rotation that holds the boat to the right especially in the corners. It's nice when the boat gets loose in the corners to have the torque throw the turn fin back in the water. They are fun, but don't expect them to be faster than the single.

Last edited by a moderator:

I used the original 56 inch Twin Craft to set the oval record and win the nats in 1985 or somewhere around there. After that I decided the boat did not have to be so big. I built a 52 inch boat and then a 50 inch twin. The 50 inch twin was the best at about 13.5 to 14 inches in width at the transom. I can't remember width. It was 1.5 inches wider than a Twin Craft 46 inch boat, whatever that is. I ran it surface drive thru the transom with the prop shafts 5 1/4 inches apart. You might think the left prop would scream when the boat leans to the right for a turn, but it does not! The water coming off the keep fills the left prop totally. Imagine your in a swimming pool and you splash someone by pushing your palm forward on the water. That's what the keel does when the boat goes into a turn. All that water hits the left prop with force. Twin rudders will keep the boat linear thru the turns. Mount them just outside the props and with the leading edge of the rudder behind the trailing edge of the prop. The boat will turn like it's on rails.

We tried mounting the rudders in front and beside the props and the boats would not turn. Ask Steve Speas....That's what got him out of running twins. His rudders were not behind the props. A single rudder on the left cuts hard, a single rudder on the right is non reponsive if you need to turn left a little bit. A single rudder between the props is not linear, but extend it far behind the props and you get good leverage and control. We set up some 90 engines in a 56 inch boat that was totally awesome!!!! Counter rotation will make the boat track straight with no pull to the right, but the boat has no sense of steadyness and tends to wobble as it goes down the straightaway. I like the same rotation that holds the boat to the right especially in the corners. It's nice when the boat gets loose in the corners to have the torque throw the turn fin back in the water. They are fun, but don't expect them to be faster than the single.
HI JOHN,kevin here from australia i have a couple of cmb 35 motors i want to run one in a mono/d/vee in circuit racing just a single but no one seems to make a circuit boat for this size motordo you know of anything that may suit i think seaducer`s are to small i don`t know if twin craft make their big boat anymore??? do you have any other suggestions????

thanks kevin.

John, Thanks for all of the info. My hull is 13 1/2" wide at the transom, and about 49" OAL. What do you think about narrowing the distance between the shafts? I was thinking about setting the props 3" to 3 1/2" apart. Closer together will make the shafts closer to the keel. This is similar to what some of the offshore raceboats are doing. Did you ever run the props close together?

HI JOHN,kevin here from australia i have a couple of cmb 35 motors i want to run one in a mono/d/vee in circuit racing just a single but no one seems to make a circuit boat for this size motordo you know of anything that may suit i think seaducer`s are to small i don`t know if twin craft make their big boat anymore??? do you have any other suggestions????

thanks kevin.
by 35 do you mean 3.5? or .21 ci ? If so, seaducer and twincraft and the others do have boats for that size engine. I don't think Twin Craft is still in business. Steve Speas and I sold it to Jimmy Whitbeck, and I think last time I heard he was not making the boats. Don't know for sure or have a telephone for him.

John, Thanks for all of the info. My hull is 13 1/2" wide at the transom, and about 40" OAL. What do you think about narrowing the distance between the shafts? I was thinking about setting the props 3" to 3 1/2" apart. Closer together will make the shafts closer to the keel. This is similar to what some of the offshore raceboats are doing. Did you ever run the props close together?
I never ran the props closer as the large props would be pretty close to touching and didn't see the need. 40 inch length is .40 size boat. I can sometimes run a 67 in a 42 inch boat, but it is very wild to drive. I am thinking you need a larger boat.

John, Thanks for all of the info. My hull is 13 1/2" wide at the transom, and about 40" OAL. What do you think about narrowing the distance between the shafts? I was thinking about setting the props 3" to 3 1/2" apart. Closer together will make the shafts closer to the keel. This is similar to what some of the offshore raceboats are doing. Did you ever run the props close together?
I never ran the props closer as the large props would be pretty close to touching and didn't see the need. 40 inch length is .40 size boat. I can sometimes run a 67 in a 42 inch boat, but it is very wild to drive. I am thinking you need a larger boat.
OOPS, 40" was a typo. The hull is 49" long.

As for the pitch between shafts, I'll just give it a try at 3" and see how it works. I plan an using 65~67mm props, so I'll have about 3/4" between them.

Kevin was talking about the 35cc CMB engines (2.1CI) They are a monster!

As for the pitch between shafts, I'll just give it a try at 3" and see how it works. I plan an using 65~67mm props, so I'll have about 3/4" between them.

35cc!!!!!! Who can afford $2,000 for an engine!! Any of the large scale monos available here in the States would be a good choice. The insane,hurricane,aeromarine,etc are all made for gas.

John Finch,

Would you run a shallow vee or a deep vee for a twin setup? And if it matters, what degree of vee is reccomended?

Thanks.

35cc!!!!!! Who can afford $2,000 for an engine!! Any of the large scale monos available here in the States would be a good choice. The insane,hurricane,aeromarine,etc are all made for gas.
hi john thanks for getting back to me i have tried the 35cc motor in a 72" d/vee but the boat was not a good design and has had some problems just wanted to see if there was a good 60" d/vee over there that might be ok and also look good as well?????

thanks kevin.

They are fun, but don't expect them to be faster than the single.

Looking like its back to the single motor program for 2010 Foley ........ :rolleyes:

You didnt wanna waste all that effort to still get spanked by that nasty GH90 anyhow did ya ;)

Let the X-Mono wars for 2010 begin B) B) B)

Mad Dog out ;)

hi john thanks for getting back to me i have tried the 35cc motor in a 72" d/vee but the boat was not a good design and has had some problems just wanted to see if there was a good 60" d/vee over there that might be ok and also look good as well?????

thanks kevin.

Back