Toaster Oven Heat Treat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Murany

I have used this method before and cannot recall the gain in hardness from when we had them tested. It works though

20140518_095043.jpg

David,

Looks like a great way to use a toaster oven out in the garage.

I think I will buy one and use it out in the shop.

Thanks For Sharing,

Mark Sholund

I had to hard wire the electrodes so they run full blast all the time to get the heat that high. I recommend keeping it outside or staying with it the whole time cause it could catch fire but so far it has been safe. You just never know though.

I was doing that many years ago.....Asked the question of did it improve the prop quality...??? The answer was " all I did was create a inferior quality prop." I have not done it since....

I was doing that many years ago.....Asked the question of did it improve the prop quality...??? The answer was " all I did was create a inferior quality pro

p." I have not done it since....
How was the prop made inferior? Did it start to throw blades? Just curious because I have done other propellers and not had a problem. Any feedback is appreciated.

Your questions tell me you know of, or knew what to expect...... The process works but only to a point. It is not and never will be 1500 degrees. But it is a Fix for a short time.

That works great, matter of fact I used to carry a toaster oven with me to Record Trials in case I wanted to tweak a prop.

First step is to anneal them by heating to a dull red with a torch and water quenching, then in the oven as high as it will go for 3 hrs (625F is the spec).

Makes a nicer prop if you anneal 1st, then sharpen and balance and finally heat-treat.
default_smile.png

Octura uses C20:

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=39453

That works great, matter of fact I used to carry a toaster oven with me to Record Trials in case I wanted to tweak a prop.

First step is to anneal them by heating to a dull red with a torch and water quenching, then in the oven as high as it will go for 3 hrs (625F is the spec).

Makes a nicer prop if you anneal 1st, then sharpen and balance and finally heat-treat.
default_smile.png

Octura uses C20:

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=39453
That's the same method I used Terry. We didn't thin the blades real thin at the hub to try and keep the blades on but took a sharpening stone to the edges. I left them in the oven for about 3.5 hrs because it takes a little bit to get up to temp. Cool down took about 35 minutes.

default_smile.png

Octura uses C20:

That's the same method I used Terry. We didn't thin the blades real thin at the hub to try and keep the blades on but took a sharpening stone to the edges. I left them in the oven for about 3.5 hrs because it takes a little bit to get up to temp. Cool down took about 35 minutes.
Amazing how much thinner and sharper you can get 'em, eh?!!!
default_smile.png

Is toaster oven temps good enough for ABC props? 1500 degrees needed? or is 600 adequate for prop hardening?

Are ABC props heat treated by ABC at time on manufacturing?

What are correct steps to do a prop correctly?

Hi Duke,

They're using the oven only for heat treating phase that only requires 600F to 625F. They are annealing using a propane or acetylene torch to cherry red and then quenching in distilled water. I have my toaster oven enclosed in fire brick to help stabilize and hold the 600F.

Thanks, John

Why not send the prop to Norm Doerr and get it heat treated right. http://hobbyheattreating.com

I have props for my 21's that are 10 years old and have been annealed and heat treated 10-20 times. A great way to test ideas, cuts, etc.

Not even expensive....

Last edited by a moderator:
I can say Norm dose a very good heat treat.

I have bin running a V cut 1667 that he did a few YEARS ago.

Have re pitched it to 4" lead in and 7" trailing and ran it hard for the last few weeks testing My SGX 1.01.

I mean hard!!!!!

Still in one piece and holding the pitch.

Don't know what his recipe is but it works!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back