Thunderboat Reproductions - Dick Caspari

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like Mr Unlimited who ever you are has the situation in hand. Want your boat take a breath and wait ,youve already waited this long another month is no big deal. THE BOAT YOU HAVE SOUNDS LIKE THE ONE MY FRIEND PAID FOR IN FULL AND NEVER GOT. so you are ahead of the game

Mikey,

If this is true ( I don't doubt your word) I would think is's TIME FOR THE TAR & FEATHERS :p

Don :)

Sounds like Mr Unlimited who ever you are has the situation in hand. Want your boat take a breath and wait ,youve already waited this long another month is no big deal. THE BOAT YOU HAVE SOUNDS LIKE THE ONE MY FRIEND PAID FOR IN FULL AND NEVER GOT. so you are ahead of the game
Mikey,

If this is true ( I don't doubt your word) I would think is's TIME FOR THE TAR & FEATHERS :p

Don my buddy tried in vain to get his boat Unfortunately Troy left us before that happened. Just to set it straight Dick did not take my friends money

Mikey,

Don my buddy tried in vain to get his boat Unfortunately Troy left us before that happened. Just to set it straight Dick did not take my friends money
Shoot, I was looking forward to the "tar & feathers" :lol:

Mikey,

Shoot, I was looking forward to the "tar & feathers" :lol:

Your getting too much SUN in California, come to the MIDWEST and feel the COLD.........

i would suggest to everyone that has dealt with thunderboat reproductions to do there best to get what they have paid for and then write this guy off. 4 years is crazy. i would have sent the law a long time ago. his health is not an excuse to do this to people. he should get out of the boat building buisnes all together.

Update: Dick says the boat is all packed up and ready to ship. He said he had intended to shipyesterday, but a storm hit, and the roads were dangerous, and he couldn't make it to the post office. I told him wait until it was safe to drive. I have confidence I will get my boat soon.

Again, I have no ill feelings towards Dick. I think he is a good guy. I just want to get my boat completed. I hope Dicks health improves, and he can get back to doing what he loves.

Hopefully my next post in this thread will be the confimration of getting my boat. Thanks again to all those who helped me get in touch with Dick!

Please do not judge Dick or Thunderboat Reproductions based on my experience.

Thanks!!

but a storm hit, and the roads were dangerous, and he couldn't make it to the post office
It hasnt been the best weather around here this week-did sleet a little and get covered by a little snow 28* right now 40* tomorrow and up to 56* by saturday gotta love kansas weather <_<

Update: Dick says the boat is all packed up and ready to ship. He said he had intended to shipyesterday, but a storm hit, and the roads were dangerous, and he couldn't make it to the post office. I told him wait until it was safe to drive. I have confidence I will get my boat soon.
Again, I have no ill feelings towards Dick. I think he is a good guy. I just want to get my boat completed. I hope Dicks health improves, and he can get back to doing what he loves.

Hopefully my next post in this thread will be the confimration of getting my boat. Thanks again to all those who helped me get in touch with Dick!

Please do not judge Dick or Thunderboat Reproductions based on my experience.

Thanks!!
So guys, there is always a happy end :D

LAST UPDATE

I am happy to announce I received my boat (94' Budweiser T3) from Dick Caspari. I am still waiting on the cowl and turbine, which was sent in a seperate box, and hopefully arrives tonight. Unfortunately, in 4+ years, there was only about 20 minutes worth of work done to the boat, but I am very happy to have it back. Dick was able to build me 2 sets of wings, and 2 turbines, and I am grateful for that.

I am now starting to sand and fill in the small voids in the hull. I am assuming Microballoons + Epoxy is the best filler for this, but if anyone has any better suggestions, please let me know.

Also, this is a Troy McIntyre hull, and has no hardware installed. I am happy to do the hardware installation, but I dont know the measurement & placement & specs for anything. Does anyone know where/who I can get such information from, or even possilby perform the work for me?

Again, thank you to everyone who helped me in contacting Dick, and in getting my boat back.

A big thank you to Harry Gatjens (sp?) for all the info on his 94' Bud, and the suggestions on hardware, graphics, etc. If you get a chance to send any pics of your boat up close, of hardware setup, etc. that would be awesome!! Thanks again!

I will be posting pics of my build soon! May this thread RIP. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone knows the Bud boats, it's Harry Gatjens. If he has said something about one of them, you can be 99% sure the information is on the money. Do as he recommends and you should have few problems with your boat

Quote;(Also, this is a Troy McIntyre hull, and has no hardware installed. I am happy to do the hardware installation, but I dont know the measurement & placement & specs for anything. Does anyone know where/who I can get such information from, or even possilby perform the work for me?)

I would have thought by now you would have learned something from your experience with Dick Caspari.....Why not get help from some local club members in setting up your boat? The forums are a great wealth of information but everyone will do it a little bit different. Your best to do as much of the work yourself and not rely on someone else to perform the work for you. Don't take it the wrong way but you will get more satisfaction out of knowing you did the work yourself with help from fellow boaters and maybe learning something along the way.....There is always something that can be improved with each and every boat you build.

Good luck.....and have fun.....the T-3 should be a good runner....

Duck,

You are very correct. I am planning on doing the work myself, but I am looking for help on the specifics that I do not know. I am going to start another thread that shows my build progress on this boat, and hopefully get a few answers from there, where I can be specific.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any r/c hydroplane clubs or organizations in my area (Northern California 94952) and so I have turned to forums like this for help. If anyone knows of a club, or boaters in my area, please let me know.

I have the past experience of building a Dumas 1/8th Circus Circus, and so I know I can build the Bud as well. I am excited to get is going.

Hopefully, this is my past post in this thread. I will start another to show the progress of my build. Again, RIP to this thread.

Duck,

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any r/c hydroplane clubs or organizations in my area (Northern California 94952) and so I have turned to forums like this for help. If anyone knows of a club, or boaters in my area, please let me know.
You have LOTS of RC boaters in your area !!!

See http://www.namba9.net

Look up clubs, you will find 3 in the bay area alone.

Going to be GREAT fun race on the 21st and 22nd in Fremont at Kaiser cove.

Regards,

Scott

Wow! I read this whole thread. It was almost like a daytime drame. LOL!

As a matter of fact there is a scale race in Fremont, CA 94582 next week on the 21st and 22nd. Got to http://www.grandprixclassic.com. For more info.

You have several National Championship Scale Concourse winners and Scale Race Champions. You have plenty of people to ask questions on looks and performance. Plus a place to test their's and your theories.

Unfortunately my boat is in the work shop right now so it is hard to get too many detailed pictures at the moment. I have posted some stuff before on cowling setup, wing setup etc. I need to look back and see where I have those websites. I guess I should be more organized and have a list.

A little background on your hull. The mold was made from the 1992 boat that we built in part of Don Mock's videos. Don and I built the boat from Ron Jones Jr canoes and a center section designed by Roland DeSteese. As the canoes came from Ron Jones they do not have running surfaces on them. On the real boats there is a bottom to the canoe but the running surface itself is adjustable and customized. I will have to look and see what dimensions we used when we added those.

I believe I have already sent the paint codes or at least posted them on here somewhere. As for the graphics I highly recommend using Graffix in Seattle. They did the ones for the real boat and scaled mine down from the exact same drawings. They cost twice as much as anyone else but in my mind are well worth it. #1 you know the graphics are correct and #2 they are a real business so if you ordered the graphics this week, you get them within a week. If you need the contact info let me know.

Troy didn't have a mold for the correct turbine tube. My original ones were always custom made from a special aluminum tube by Lee Robertson. However, I have found a guy in our club who now makes a fiberglass version. If you are interested let me know and I will put you in touch with him. If you want to build the older gold version of the boat I have a spare fiberglass turbine tube.

The molded hull is actually of the T-2. So you need to make the canard about 1/4" deeper to make it the T-3 and also widen the front of the nose a bit. Or alternatively you can run it as the 1994 T2, but that boat only ran with the salt water scoop extension.

Let me know what other help you need.

Harry

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam,

$500 for 20 minutes of work in 4 years?????

I hope you also received your money back?????

:angry:

Back