THINNING EPOXY

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you look on some laquer thinner or acetone (can't remember which) containers it actual says it will thin epoxy. I use any solvent I have on hand, acetone, denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner.

Denatured alcohol is the stuff. Rubbing alcohol will work too.

Mix the epoxy before adding the alcohol. This is very important to get the best bond from the epoxy.

Peter R.

www.climatmodels.com

Thinned epoxy, 20-30 minute type, pre-mix the epoxy and mix with denatured alcohol, 3:1 (three parts epoxy to one part alcohol) you can go up to 1:1 but you'll find yourself waiting a long time (1 week) before all of the alcohol has left and the your epoxy shell has cured enough to paint. Acetone and thinners work also but I've found that these require more time for the epoxy to fully cure.

chunk t.

Use system three clearcote epoxy like water not to expensive plus no need to add anything.

Roxyflash said:
Use system three clearcote epoxy like water not to expensive plus no need to add anything.
81907[/snapback]

I agree

System III clear coat is thin enough to seal wood quiet nicely.

mark voorhies said:
Roxyflash said:
81907[/snapback]

I agree

System III clear coat is thin enough to seal wood quiet nicely.

81938[/snapback]

Now who's idea was that? You mean the Wallster came up with something that works, tell me it isn't so. :lol:

In fact the first coat tends to soak in all the way with no visible build up. And for the chemistry guru's there is no "amine blush" commonly associated with most epoxys.

missbudpilot55 said:
Roxyflash or Mark,Where does one procure this "System 3 Clearcoat Epoxy"?

82023[/snapback]

Their website is http://www.systemthree.com/index_2.asp

Lots of info, they offer both epoxy and marine paint trial kits for just the cost of shipping, and the epoxy book is a wealth of info. Very similar to West Systems, I just happened to go the System Three route and never been disappointed.

Wally

Latest posts

Back