Refinishing a Classic Sport 20

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Dunlap

Supporting Member
I was planning to refinish my Bruce Mooring "Snake Sport 20" prior to the 2017 racing season. One of the members of our local model boat club gave me a set of Wesley "Oh Boy O'BERTO" decals he couldn't use for a 1/10 Scale Electric Hydroplane. This model was originally built in 2004 and I began racing it in 2005. It has won one NAMBA Sport 20 National Championship and one Indy Masters at Hobart Sport 20 Championship. It has been the NAMBA District 8 High Point Sport 20 for 6 or 7 years. Over the years, it has been powered by a MAC 21, a couple of different O.S. Max 21s, a Nova Rossi 35+, and currently by a CMB Beta 21.

I spent a great amount of time refinishing the inside of the hull. After 11 years of racing, the plywood is pretty oil soaked. I attempted to remove most of the epoxy coating the inside and then applied West Systems epoxy. I also replaced all the interior hull frames. One of the photos shows inscription about the boat. After removing the decals, I sanded and filled nicks/scratches with the two part Bondo shown in one of the photos. I prefer this two part filler over the traditional spot and glazing putty. Rust-Oleum primer and color coats were spayed on the hull and cowling. The white stripes on the cowling are automotive striping tape. I plan to have an automotive clear coat applied to the hull and cowling.

I'm not sure how much I'll race the boat since I was given Jim Wilson's record holding Sport 20 by Diane Wilson. However, when ever my son, Paul, can attend a race he will race it.

JD

Back