The BEN HUR 11' 3'' by Hal Kelly

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://youtu.be/zcNfIES5coo

Jan

rc1.gif

Amazing work and attention to detail- I missed this thread until now, WOW- The motors and lowers look killer.

Awesome job Jan B)

Last edited by a moderator:
The maidens voyage from the second boat went well.

It is not quite finished yet but in the next video it will be finished, we had a slight problem with the flexaxles from the engines.

when you want to see more of this kind of 50's boats look on 152vo you can post there in english most of the german friends know english.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1JVqgjh8bI

jan

rc1.gif

The ben hur was only intended to be built for me and a friend but, because of the many requests on the german forum am I making DIY kits for it. Most people use OSE outboarders but those are a bit too small for the Ben Hur, because of this they requested a smaller model. I chose the Hall Kelly Jupiter for that. The original boat was 9'10" and I scaled that down to 578mm or 22.75 inch.

11-04-13-01.jpg

11-04-13-02.jpg

This is the 3d model that I made of the original drawings.

11-04-13-03.jpg

11-04-13-04.jpg

11-04-13-05.jpg

I used this model to design the struts.

Jan

Such a neat project! I race kneel down boats and collect the antique Mercury race engines. I've always dreamed of building an RC version of my rig but don't have the skills or resources that you have. Keep up the great work and keeps the pics flowing!

Do you have plans to make a scale version of the Mercury 20H for the back of the Hal Kelly Jupiter model you're making?

ready to debut

DSC01134.jpg

the boat was ready to sail 1970g

with a 40 mm 2 blade propeller

en with a 45/3 van Ryszard Dziergwa (3,5cc offshore prop

i think the driver should watch where he is going and not be looking down at "miss coke"!!! ;)

is that red epoxy resorsinol? i used it on one of the first boats i built. i still have a can and 2 cans of powder left, that was before west systems was known very well. .

dan

Jan

rc1.gif

I have a new speed controller.

DSC01716.jpg

It fits perfectly next to the motor.

DSC01717.jpg

Everything fits tight under the hood.

DSC01718.jpg

Jan

rc1.gif

I have a new speed controller.

DSC01716.jpg

It fits perfectly next to the motor.

DSC01717.jpg

Everything fits tight under the hood.

DSC01718.jpg

Jan

rc1.gif
So awesome! I'll send you pics of a 20H toilet bowl and stocker if you want to play with making one of those.

Keep up the great work!

Austin

The Hal Kelly Jupiter was designed to run with a Mercury Mark 20H conversion B class engine. That engine is still raced today here in the states and is a very collectable motor. I've attached a few pictures of that engine if you wanted to try and play with one and make a scaled down version. I've also attached pictures of the original green and gold stock Mark 20H.

IMGP0099.jpgsam2125.jpgimg13923.jpg

Austin are you in Michigan ? Did you have an engine or boat for sale on eBay? If so, where in MI?

Joe

Austin are you in Michigan ? Did you have an engine or boat for sale on eBay? If so, where in MI?

Joe
Yes I am from Michigan and yes I did have a boat for sale on ebay not too long ago. I'm from Ortonville, Mi originally but live in Farmingotn Hills now. Where are you located?

Austin

Sorry to hi-jack thread Jan. your models are very impressive!! I'm in Traverse City Austin. I've always been a fan of antique outboards/hydroplanes. Any antique wood boats for that matter.

Joe

Back