The 6th Annual Gary Johnson Grand Prix Classic

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah!... Glen is right!!!

I think we have just as many cats as we had at the Nationals. It also looks like we are approaching the same number of Scales that we had at the nats. I am pretty impressed considering this is just a fun race... No points... No National Titles. Just cool clean fun. As a matter of fact we are approaching the count that we usually have at an all out district race but are offering less than half the classes. Thanks to everyone for all of the support... It looks like it will be a great season opener for everyone.

Also...

We had some delays with setting things up with the hotel but it is all straigtened out now. They wouldn't give me the same rate as previous years because they have said that the price went up due to remodeling. The Grand Prix Classic rate this year will be $69.95. For more information visit us at www.grandprixclassic.com.

I understand that there has been some confusion at the host hotel. Just for everyone's information... the room rate is $69/night under the Grand Prix Classic. There was some delay in setting up the special room rate but that is what it will be. Be sure to mention the Grand Prix Classic. If that doesn't work as for Lucenia if she is not in then ask for Peter the General Manager. If that doesn't work call or email me.

Roger, Alfred, most of us electric guys (Bill, Will, Randy, and myself) would like to meet up @ the pond about noon on Friday and setup camp (RV and pits) and also run our boats, test, trim (open water) on Friday.

I wanted to check to see if that is ok?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Roger, Alfred, most of us electric guys (Bill, Will, Randy, and myself) would like to meet up @ the pond about noon on Friday and setup camp (RV and pits) and also run our boats, test, trim (open water) on Friday.

Thanks,
I am sure Alfred and/or I will be there early in the morning on Friday

Thanks,

That sounds great! We will see you Friday.

Thanks,

That sounds great! We will see you Friday.

Any chance of posting the entry list?? 1 week to go!! Can't wait.
I don't know if we have time for that. Alfred is tallying the entries and he not exactly a computer Guru. Jenny, his wife, is back to work so she is not handling all the administrative like before. but So far were good so I wouldn't want to throw Alfred off of his game.

Have you entered? If not, who do you need to see to change your mind?

I can say that I talked to Alfred about some of the classes. It looks like we are nearing 120 boats with just 7 classes. At least six boats in each with Cats leading the pack as we near 30 entries. Gas Sport is just over 20, I think and Scale is nearing that. A mod looks like 12 boats are entered with Multi-Engine bringing up the rear with 6 entries.

I know we have the following from D19.

Mark Grim

Chris Grim

Vince

Henry

Don Maher

Dave Hilton and Fam

Ron Buck

Shannon Muth

Monohan

Byron

Hey guys, I quess as of now we have 8 sport 21 boats entered at the GP. That's cool. A bit of lore... Of the 8 boats entered , 5 are boats I built. The interesting thing to me is that all 5 boats are of different generations. Thats very cool.

Bob :D

I don't know if we have time for that. Alfred is tallying the entries and he not exactly a computer Guru. Jenny, his wife, is back to work so she is not handling all the administrative like before. but So far were good so I wouldn't want to throw Alfred off of his game.
I understand completely.

Have you entered? If not, who do you need to see to change your mind?
Yes I have. My only motivation was simple curiosity. I don't base my decision to enter any contest/race based on who else was entered, I'm just there for the fun!!

I can say that I talked to Alfred about some of the classes. It looks like we are nearing 120 boats with just 7 classes.
Very cool.

As I said, I was simply curious and can wait until this weekend to see who is there.

Take care.

Thanks for the response.

Bill-SOCAL,

I don't think we have met yet, but hope to do so this weekend. Stop by and say hi. Mark, Vince, Chris, Henry & I will be close to each others pit ( I hope )

Don :)

Bill-SOCAL,I don't think we have met yet, but hope to do so this weekend. Stop by and say hi. Mark, Vince, Chris, Henry & I will be close to each others pit ( I hope )

Don :)
You've probably seen me at Legg. I hang back under the tree with Tony and the other FE guys :p I've gotten to know Vince as well. I'm looking forward to this weekend, especially since I just overcame a minor crisis (I lost a motor in my cat - looks like the rotor came apart). It is ready to go now and I'll be there Friday for some final tuning. See you this weekend.

Bill

All,

This is just a fun race, but we still have to follow the rules of the Model Mariners Club. I'm sure Alfred and Roger will go over them at the drivers meeting, but before then, I will like to go over some really simple rules....

1) when you enter the gate, please close the gate behind you, otherwise the Model Mariners will get ding for it.

2) It is 5mph inside the premises, follow the posted signs.

3) The noise level limit is 90db, this is really important to follow as we have homes ($1mil and above) near us. So be prepared with silencer than work.

4) There will be no Alcohol allowed in the premises, if you do bring alcohol, please make sure you stay in your motor home, don't flash it around.

If you have any questions, send me an instant message.

Thank you,

Lorenzo

Model Mariners

Commodore

looks like we may need some water proof shorts and big water boats if the weather reports are correct!

It should be good howerver it shakes out.

Fun Fun,

looks like we may need some water proof shorts and big water boats if the weather reports are correct!
It should be good howerver it shakes out.

Fun Fun,
No matter what! We're there... rain or shine... and we hope for the best. Surprisingly there are those who haven't even given a second thought as we are still getting last minute phone entries.

I'm only concerned because, you know, I don't want to get my boat wet in the rain!! :p

See you guys this weekend!!!

I talked with Alfred this morning, and I'm coming to race tomorrow, 3.5 tunnel class.

I'm going to try phoning my entry in, otherwise I'll be signing up in the morning.

Looking forward to my first boat race and meeting new friends

I'm only concerned because, you know, I don't want to get my boat wet in the rain!! :p
See you guys this weekend!!!

And the winners are.............

drum roll please..........

G-1 Cat:1st place - Shannon Muth

2nd Place - Jeff Gladlieux

3rd Place - Jeff Brown

4th Place - Dave Hilton

5th Place - Lorenzo "take it eass-sy" Martinez

6th Place - Troy Davis & Jeff Harteau - tied for 6th

Sport 40 II

1st Place: Shannon Muth

2nd Place: Jeff Tuttle

3rd Place: Roger Hooks Sr.

Twin

1st Place: Roger Hooks Jr.

2nd Place: Alfred Lanza

3rd Place: Troy Davis

RTR (Ready-to-Run)

1st: Joel Johnson (son of Gary Johnson)

A Mod:

1st Place: Jerry Dunlap

2nd Place: Ray Hilburn

3rd Place: Jim Bird

B Mod:

1st Place: Dylan Frentzel

2nd Place: Don Osman

3rd Place: Jay Selby

G-1 Sport Hydro:

1st Place: Jeff Wells

2nd Place: Dave Bestpitch

3rd Place: Alfred Lanza

4th Place: "Wild Bill Batara"

5th Place: Jeff Brown

6th Place: Shannon Muth

Scale:

1st Place: Tod Osman

2nd Place: Alfred Lanza

3rd Place: Dave Osman

4th Place: Bill Oxidean

5th Place: Roger Hooks Sr.

6th Place: Glenn Burkard

Sport 21 - AKA "Tuttle's Take All!"

1st Place: Bob Tuttle

2nd Place: Dylan Frentzel (Cassie Tuttle's Son)

3rd Place: Jeff Tuttle

Concourse Winner: Dave Osman

Roger Hooks Jr. will be writing up a recap of our race weekend soon. We'd like to thank everyone who came from near and far to race, new and old Grand Prix Classic racers. We met some new friends this weekend and got to spend time with our loyal race attendees who have been coming to GPC since our very first year!!! THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING OUR EVENT YEAR AFTER YEAR!!!!

This was our very first time running electric, gas and nitro boats running together. It was a lot of fun racing together and we hope to continue this in the years to come.

Thank you to everyone who helped out at the race and please if I am missing someone I apologize I'm going off the top of my head here.....

Wild Bill, Bernie Sanchez and Rudy Formanek for helping cook lunch for all the hungry tired and wet racers who I'm sure appreciated having a nice warm meal after the rough weather we had!

Rudy Formanek, Mark Grim, Vince Henderson, Jim Wilson, Troy Davis, Alan Terry, Dave Bestpitch - thank you for helping announce on the microphone when Alfred and Roger were busy racing or tending to the event.

Christian Lanza (my son) and his friend Samuel Joya for running the Raffle Booth - they did a great job!!!

LEANNE OSMAN - this girl helped me out sooo much this weekend. She helped keep things running smoothly up at the judges stand, poor thing was sick and still helped out!!! I couldn't have done it without her.

Eric Osman - this guy is always out in the retrieve boat rain or shine with a smile on his face.......thank you Eric for all your hard work this weekend!!!

Bob Lockwood - thank you for helping tear down the race site, Jeff Wells helped set up and tear down.

Dylan Frentzel, Jeff & Chris Brown helped with race set up.

Lorenzo "take it eassss-sy" Martinez - THANK YOU for towing everyone out of the muddy race site - Bestpitch says he'll pay you at the next race $150 bucks for the tow service. =0)

We had a really nice dinner out Saturday night at Nijo Castle ( a Benihana style restaurant where they cook on your table)...I believe we had 27 racers in attendance - we went there last year and had so much fun we had to do it again this year!!!!

A BIG BIG THANK YOU to our sponsors. The racers took home some very nice prizes - I think Jim Bird and Dave Osman hit the jackpot this weekend....congrats to everyone!

Sponsors are featured on the main page of our website (too many to name here).... www.grandprixclassic.com

I will be uploading pictures soon from the event as well as trying to scan in the articles from the 3 local newspapers that featured the 2008 6th Annual Gary Johnson Grand Prix Classic.

Glenn Burkard our district photographer will also be uploading pictures (his camera is much better than mine and gets the really good close up shots of the boats in action).... =0)

Thanks again everyone! I hope you all had a good time and we hope to see you again next year!!!!!!!

Jennie Lanza(on behalf of Roger Hooks Jr., Alfred Lanza and Myself)

Latest posts

Back