Texan "classic" .21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Quarles

Supporting Member
Friends, I just finished the prototype "Classic" .21 Texan that hopefully one day will end up as a kit for ML Boatworks.

My intent for this design is to have a very dependable, very easy to use, very nice driving outrigger that the average guy can race even in the worst race water and be successful. This boat is very big for a .21 boat (it is about the same size as my .45 JAE), but still weights what a competitive .21 race boat should weight. I built this one very much like I think the kit boats will be made (all wood, NO composite) and I did not do anything special to make it light. It weights in just under 4 lbs. just like you see it in these pictures. I did not design this boat to set records, or be the fastest boat on the pond when the water is perfect. It is meant to be a really fun boat to race! I jokingly call it the "World's Best Heat Racing Boat". (Martin laughs at me and tells me the world's best heat racing boat has already been designed!) I still have to build a cowling and fuel tank specifically for it.

I hope to run it tomorrow. If it works out like i want I will let you know, if not I will start the process of making changes and more testing!

Oh yeah, for you FE guys, my 5000mah 4S pack fit easily in the tub just behind the rear boom. I think it will be a great full P or maybe even Q boat.

GQ

21#1.JPG

21#2.JPG

21#3.JPG

Thanks guys. Ian, I am not really a fan of ski's. I think having the back of the boat riding on a wedge can make them kind of "hoppy" in race water. For years I have simply been installing a narrow ride surface (if we have to name it something, I would call it a "slide"…you know, like the country western dance the Texas Slide
default_smile.png
directly to the stuffing box. In this case it is a .030 X 1/2" brass strip soldered to the stuffing box. I like this better because the part that actually touches the water is at the same AOA as the strut (generally flat) and as I adjust the strut depth, the slide moves with it. I find it works great on the smaller boats like the .12's and .21's, but haven't tried it on bigger boats.

I actually like the looks of rear sponsons better since it add a little more shape to these stick boats, but I didn't feel like building any for this one (yet).

GQ

what happens when that comes off and gets into the prop? that would be a mess.. although I really like that idea..

This boat is very big for a .21 boat (it is about the same size as my .45 JAE), but still weights what a competitive .21 race boat should weight.
nice design and fabrication. I like the larger footprint concept, more stable in all water conditions. Today's engines yield more than enough power to make up for larger size.

Hi Glen: I like your boat. Is it possible to take a picture of the sponson running surfaces and a side view of the boat? How did testing go today? speed? DAN

...My intent for this design is to have a very dependable, very easy to use, very nice driving outrigger that the average guy can race even in the worst race water and be successful.

...I did not design this boat to set records, or be the fastest boat on the pond when the water is perfect...

GQ
Glen,

Your design goals remind me of a phrase I heard from a famous racer: "In order to finish first, you must first finish!"

Thanks guys. Ian, I am not really a fan of ski's. I think having the back of the boat riding on a wedge can make them kind of "hoppy" in race water. For years I have simply been installing a narrow ride surface (if we have to name it something, I would call it a "slide"…you know, like the country western dance the Texas Slide
default_smile.png
directly to the stuffing box. In this case it is a .030 X 1/2" brass strip soldered to the stuffing box. I like this better because the part that actually touches the water is at the same AOA as the strut (generally flat) and as I adjust the strut depth, the slide moves with it. I find it works great on the smaller boats like the .12's and .21's, but haven't tried it on bigger boats.

I actually like the looks of rear sponsons better since it add a little more shape to these stick boats, but I didn't feel like building any for this one (yet).

GQ
Glenn, now that is interesting and innovative!! Have you compared the effect of adding the riding surface to simply having the bare stuffing tube? What effect does it have on launch?

Friends, I just got back from the pond and everything cleaned up. The boat ran OK for the first day...not the best first day, but not the worst either. For the most part it worked as I hoped, but I am gonna make a few changes to the front sponsons.

Ian, it launches just like a boat with rear sponsons or ski...it just drives away. Yes it is much different than just the tube!

Thanks Dale!!! This is the next step on the boats that I built for you and I years ago...about the same size and hopefully will run as good!

Here are a few more pictures that you asked for.

GQ

21#5.JPG

21#6.JPG

21#7.JPG

Back