Texan "classic" .21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friends, I just finished the prototype "Classic" .21 Texan that hopefully one day will end up as a kit for ML Boatworks.

My intent for this design is to have a very dependable, very easy to use, very nice driving outrigger that the average guy can race even in the worst race water and be successful. This boat is very big for a .21 boat (it is about the same size as my .45 JAE), but still weights what a competitive .21 race boat should weight. I built this one very much like I think the kit boats will be made (all wood, NO composite) and I did not do anything special to make it light. It weights in just under 4 lbs. just like you see it in these pictures. I did not design this boat to set records, or be the fastest boat on the pond when the water is perfect. It is meant to be a really fun boat to race! I jokingly call it the "World's Best Heat Racing Boat". (Martin laughs at me and tells me the world's best heat racing boat has already been designed!) I still have to build a cowling and fuel tank specifically for it.

I hope to run it tomorrow. If it works out like i want I will let you know, if not I will start the process of making changes and more testing!

Oh yeah, for you FE guys, my 5000mah 4S pack fit easily in the tub just behind the rear boom. I think it will be a great full P or maybe even Q boat.

GQ
"(Martin laughs at me and tells me the world's best heat racing boat has already been designed!)"

Yes it has! ;-)

Friends, I just finished the prototype "Classic" .21 Texan that hopefully one day will end up as a kit for ML Boatworks.

My intent for this design is to have a very dependable, very easy to use, very nice driving outrigger that the average guy can race even in the worst race water and be successful. This boat is very big for a .21 boat (it is about the same size as my .45 JAE), but still weights what a competitive .21 race boat should weight. I built this one very much like I think the kit boats will be made (all wood, NO composite) and I did not do anything special to make it light. It weights in just under 4 lbs. just like you see it in these pictures. I did not design this boat to set records, or be the fastest boat on the pond when the water is perfect. It is meant to be a really fun boat to race! I jokingly call it the "World's Best Heat Racing Boat". (Martin laughs at me and tells me the world's best heat racing boat has already been designed!) I still have to build a cowling and fuel tank specifically for it.

I hope to run it tomorrow. If it works out like i want I will let you know, if not I will start the process of making changes and more testing!

Oh yeah, for you FE guys, my 5000mah 4S pack fit easily in the tub just behind the rear boom. I think it will be a great full P or maybe even Q boat.

GQ
"(Martin laughs at me and tells me the world's best heat racing boat has already been designed!)"
Yes it has! ;-)
That's funny! Now I just need to hear from Ralph, Chris and all the other boat designers I can't think of right now!!! The fun part is they are ALL great boats!!!

GQ

Glenn,

Since it's a standard flex shaft, just of the stub shaft and bearings etc. Do the bearings have a press fit into the strut? Is the a noticeable difference in the drag verse a bushing?

Brian

Hey Bob, this is kinda a blast from the past!!! I actually have not run the boat since that very first day back in Washington. It is still packed away in a box somewhere in the shop!

GQ

Back