Tested the O.S.VZ-B buggy engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Wyss

Hi Guys, I got to test today in 67 degree F weather :D . The engine is a OSVZ-B buggy motor with the VZ-M's

head button and sleeve. The engine is still pretty mild, stock VZ-B crank, no sleeve shims and that OS20J

carb that I was modifying. Speeds in the mid 50's (estimated) and will run flat out all around on the L Y N X.

I have a Thunder Tiger buggy engine ( LS BX-R) on a TT lower as well,, both engines run similar speeds.

I'm going to run the VZ at our clubs season opener and then we'll know for sure about the speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good JW!
Thanks Tim, Those NR #6 Cone Lock plugs didn't fit the VZ head,, large compression leak,, had to use the OS P-3

plug that came with the VZ-B,, ran the same plug for 1/2 days running :)

That water head is off the Rossi AXE O/B power head with no water, of course,, worked good for getting the right temp.

Hi Richard, Can't say if the carb mod did much since I have a stock 20J on the TT LS buggy engine and both motors

propel the L Y N X about the same. The TT is modded more, sleeve shims, opened crank and higher Ex port timing

and it turns a slightly bigger prop,, but maybe thats the difference in the carb mod for the O.S..

Good heat racing engines,, both of them :)

TT BX-R,, Mac headbutton and water head, hehehe

Did you use the OS XM outboard components to complete motor? Such as lower unit and other outboard conversion parts?
Thanks,

Chris
HI Chris, powerhead is mostly O.S.VZ-M,, but for now it has the modified XM carb on there. The VZ crank is 14mm

so the XM crank wont work , being 13mm. Since the VZ engine spins the direction it does I adapted it to the thunder

tiger PTO & then the lower of course.

Main part was drilling the VZ-B crankpin to accept a pin for driving the TT PTO. The crank is VZ-B , head button

and piston/sleeve are VZ-M.

Its not a simple adaptation, the exhaust port nipple of the case is Very low (close to the crank) which interferes

with one of the main bolts that hold the TT lower unit halves together. This bolt has to be removed to remove

or install the dynamite car header and it actually does most of the holding of the header cup when reinstalled.

It runs great, like a real fast electric train is the best way to describe it. That terminology actually came from

Rod Geraghty when he was chewin' me out for getting too radical with my modding of the stock TT's. He said there

was a different way of modding these motors to make them more reliable for heat racing,, "kinda like an electric

motor",, I took his advice.

My VZ powered Linx ran yesterday at our first club race, it ran in two classes, A-Mod Tunnel and Open Tunnel.

It was clearly the fastest combo around the pond in those two classes, every heat it finished, it won. Many full

throttle "tunnel dives" put it out of contention for any overall wins.

The overall wins went to "FlyinFinn", a new comer at the club and his first time out with his TS2/O.S.XM.

Way to Go Finn! I'm Happy for ya :D

Seems to me that the slowest boat wins 50% of the time, and that appears to be holding.

Even our most experienced driver (Dale Remiro) had trouble contending with the lumpy water and occasional

windy conditions but it was still just as fun as it always is with that terrific group.

The club has 4 new members and that is very encouraging :)

Jerry,

I guess Finn is already learning about propellers,better watch how much info you share with him. :lol:

Glad to hear tunnel boats are getting more popular in Otis,OR. :lol: It sounds like your club is growing.

That Is a Good Thing. :lol:

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Jerry,
I guess Finn is already learning about propellers,better watch how much info you share with him. :lol:

Glad to hear tunnel boats are getting more popular in Otis,OR. :lol: It sounds like your club is growing.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund
He kept asking me all day "which prop should I put on there to make it go faster",, all the while driving thru

all the junk to take the win. What could be better on your first day out? He'll come back :lol:

Jerry,

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund
He kept asking me all day "which prop should I put on there to make it go faster",, all the while driving thru

all the junk to take the win. What could be better on your first day out? He'll come back :lol:
Hey Jerry, I'm relieved your still happy for me after our bump during the mill in heat 2 (I think), when we were both trying to avoid a boat that had submarined in front of us and you cut your motor and went dead i the water. Your VZ-B is a real screamer! I love speed, but I've got to learn to drive first. What I was more excited about were the results of trying out my props (with your help of course) after the race was over and I found speed! Watch out dudes, I'm coming for ya'! :lol:

No way I'll catch you Jerry, especially on flat water. Seems the wind would come up and put a chop on the water every time the tunnels ran. Made for exciting, although a little expensive, racing! I'll be bringing a little more speed to the next one though!

Hey Congrats Finn! Way to go!

The single best piece of advice I was ever given when it comes to heat racing;

"To Finish First, First you have to finish!"

Unfortunately I keep forgetting that in the quest for more speed!

Tim.

Jerry,

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Hey Jerry, I'm relieved your still happy for me after our bump during the mill in heat 2 (I think), when we were both trying to avoid a boat that had submarined in front of us and you cut your motor and went dead i the water. Your VB-Z is a real screamer! I love speed, but I've got to learn to drive first. What I was more excited about were the results of trying out my props (with your help of course) after the race was over and I found speed! Watch out dudes, I'm coming for ya'! :lol:

No way I'll catch you Jerry, especially on flat water. Seems the wind would come up and put a chop on the water every time the tunnels ran. Made for exciting, although a little expensive, racing! I'll be bringing a little more speed to the next one though!
Hay Jeff, agin congratulations on your first of many. :p

Jerry, you know how to build a mean one. You have built and re-built me three great Tigers over the years, and now set me up with a Mac. I can't beleve I can blow up the Picco in the sport 40 on Sunday, and on Monday it's ready to race. THANK YOU!!! I don't know what it takes to get in the Hall of Fame but, if it's someone ho goes above and beyond to help his fellow boaters the plaque must be on the way!!!

Boy! I'd be doin' great if these guy's ran a strip club :wacko: ,,kidding, never been in one.

Hi Guys, I got to test today in 67 degree F weather :D . The engine is a OSVZ-B buggy motor with the VZ-M'shead button and sleeve. The engine is still pretty mild, stock VZ-B crank, no sleeve shims and that OS20J

carb that I was modifying. Speeds in the mid 50's (estimated) and will run flat out all around on the L Y N X.

I have a Thunder Tiger buggy engine ( LS BX-R) on a TT lower as well,, both engines run similar speeds.

I'm going to run the VZ at our clubs season opener and then we'll know for sure about the speed.
I've seen this boat action on March 11th at a club race. fastest tunnel boat on the pond. Even faster than my B Mod boat!!!

Hi Guys, I got to test today in 67 degree F weather :D . The engine is a OSVZ-B buggy motor with the VZ-M'shead button and sleeve. The engine is still pretty mild, stock VZ-B crank, no sleeve shims and that OS20J

I've seen this boat action on March 11th at a club race. fastest tunnel boat on the pond. Even faster than my B Mod boat!!!
Hey! It's my boatin' bud Jon,, they ain't gunna believe ya anyway Jon.

It just "broke me up " to pass your B boat Jon! :lol: :p Literally! Absolutely! BANG!!!

Back