temp chart on gp3300

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pagemaster

Surfing the the gp site I found this on the gp3300's.

CYPerCh_14.jpg

Maybe we should store them in the freezer over the winter?

Steven Vaccaro

www.OffshoreElectrics.com

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be fairly standard for any battery. They work on chemical reactions. Chemical reactions need heat. Not sure if I would go as far as a freezer, but maybe the refrigerator.

Race them hot, store them cold.

Gene

I knew about the hot and cold thing. But I've heard people comment on storing them at half a charge. They wouldn't last long on the shelf at half charge.

Steven Vaccaro

I read some military specs that said either NICD or NIHI should be keep in a cool spot like a fridge (they used a temp like 45-50 degrees) Not sure why except I think it slows down the chemicals going on in there.

Pagemaster said:
Surfing the the gp site I found this on the gp3300's.
CYPerCh_14.jpg

Maybe we should store them in the freezer over the winter?

Steven Vaccaro

This chart is showing % charge retention of NIMH stored cells, not life capacity. Store them in a cool dry place.

I understand that Steve, but in the northeast our season was over a month ago. Should we recharge somewhere around February?

Pagemaster said:
I understand that Steve, but in the northeast our season was over a month ago. Should we recharge somewhere around February?
To tell you the truth I have no idea. I think what's most important is that before you use packs you need to do a 12 hour slow charge on these cells. GP3300 have a major weakness in the area of cell voltage retention uniformity. Some cells discharge faster than others causing an imbalance if you quick charge them after rest.

thanks

Steve

Boy I keep forgetting it doesn't keep me logged in.....

Pagemaster said:
I would cycle them every 4 weeks. Some guys or companies say put them away fully charged, I don't. IMO I think it flattens them too much and they may not recover after many cycles. I have cells that have not really changed after regular use which is good. Even after sitting for 4 weeks.

I usually charge them at 5amps, dump them at .9v a cell and stowe them until another 3 to 4 weeks. Trays and NiMh make me nervous because they take away the voltage bounce that a hard .9v 20amp dump would give you back which NiMh need. NiMh don't like being stored at low voltages like after a full hard run on the pond where you dump or using a tray.

Although if you do have packs that are going bad then it is possible a discharge tray can help you.

Jeff :ph34r:

Back