Teflon liner in stuffing tube or not

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Hamilton

What is the general consensus on using teflon liners or no teflon, in Europe a lot use liners but i know in the US a lot seem to say dont use them as their problematic.Opinions please. Thank you Martin.

Martin, this should be fun. Just like anything else, you will get a lot of different opinions.

IF the driveline is set up properly, the teflon is an asset.

IF the drive dog to strut clearance is set to the MINIMUM NEEDED and the drive line only has one gentle arc in it, using the teflon helps reduce the driveline friction.

IF your driveline is not already setup CORRECTLY, the cable will wad up the teflon tubing.

I have NEVER had the teflon to cause a problem.

Charles

Last edited by a moderator:
Martin, I can only say that there are more benefits w/o teflon then with so my recommendation is to run w/o.

Anders

Martin, this should be fun. Just like anything else, you will get a lot of different opinions.

IF the drive dog to strut clearance is set to the MINIMUN NEEDED and the drive line only has one gentle arc in it, using the teflon helps reduce the driveline friction.

IF your driveline is not already setup CORRECTLY, the cable will wad up the teflon tubing.

Charles

Yes, use teflon, period. Metal against teflon with oil is ALWAYS better that metal against metal with oil, plus you limit heat generation especially in the bend...... ;)

The Bend is runnning in water, it doesn't accumulate heat. Don't use teflon, seen too many issues with others running it.

My vote is for teflon for some and not for others..

I know.. im a stinker!

I have used, and use both and have never had with Teflon or without Teflon cost me a race...

now.. to grease or oil.. that is the question....lol

Grim

One of the biggest reason that some people have had problems using teflon in the stuffing tube is that they use teflon tubing that is too small in diameter. The teflon tubing that I have always used is .010 larger than the ID of the stuffing tube. I made a tool to stretch the teflon tubing and PULL it thru the stuffing tube. When it is released it fits TIGHT.

Charles

I had a Teflon liner cost me down time at a race. It was in a 3.5 K&B outboard. Since then i replace all my outboard lowers with a brass liner never any problems! Must be during something right.

TL

Charles,

I was amazed to see how free a properly set up Teflon tubing system is.

Most won't spend the time to get it right though. Oil for sure for lubrication.

I think the stretching tool is the secret Charles. That sure is a nice boat in

your avatar!

Thanks For The Set Up,

Mark

IF the drive dog to strut clearance is set to the MINIMUN NEEDED and the drive line only has one gentle arc in it, using the teflon helps reduce the driveline friction.

Charles

Yes, use teflon, period. Metal against teflon with oil is ALWAYS better that metal against metal with oil, plus you limit heat generation especially in the bend...... ;)
Maybe the automotive engineer's should not have any metal running on metal then right Ron....TL

Lining the cylinders with teflon was tried in the first versions of the Chevy Vega and we all know how that turned out

i have never run teflon liners in my boats. ob's all had brass or stainless liners, & ib's were just the brass stuffing tube. i have not had any issues with flex cables & stuffing tubes or lowers.............teflon liners may be GREAT set up properly, but i have seen them cause issues for others.

One of the biggest reason that some people have had problems using teflon in the stuffing tube is that they use teflon tubing that is too small in diameter. The teflon tubing that I have always used is .010 larger than the ID of the stuffing tube. I made a tool to stretch the teflon tubing and PULL it thru the stuffing tube. When it is released it fits TIGHT.

Charles
Charles did you work for TROJAN when you lived in California? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Bend is runnning in water, it doesn't accumulate heat. Don't use teflon, seen too many issues with others running it.
If the bend in your outboard lower is in the water I would love to see that setup..... :eek:

There have been a lot of attempts to improve on Teflon liners in outboards. Brass tubes, especially with oilers, seemed to work best. Teflon still seemed to be the most foolproof and that's what most used. I stopped running Teflon in 1/4 cable drives for gas engines, but started again with .150 cables in electrics. The only improvement has been to roughen up the Teflon and CA it to the brass tube. That prevents the problem of the Teflon spinning and locking up the cable.

Lohring Miller

Last edited:
If the teflon liners are the same stuff from years ago, it couldn't stand any heat at all, if your flex created any heat or if the flex had some ruff spots it would grab the teflon and make it gummy and suck all the horse power. I can't tell you how many people around the country I sent props to that would call and say they couldn't turn the prop - it was to big or too much pitch and wouldn't spin up. After talking through their set up and finding they were running teflon I asked if they would remove it and try the prop again, if after that and they still couldn't turn it I would replace the prop for something smaller - never had one come back. Maybe the flex shafts are smoother now days and you can run teflon but I wouldn't.

Thanks, John

Latest posts

Back