T4 Salt Water Scoop

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like that day in Madison was as wild as Sunday was this year with the U-21 hitting a safety boat and the Oberto running over the Qatar after Villwock hooked in turn 2. What made this year worse is that one of the safety boat's crew was killed, one badly injured and the third taken to the hospital "just in case" because of the collision

Hey HJ, the Safety person was saved. He was in a comma and still has brain damage how much is not sure yet. Just thought you would want to know the good news. Sorry I was not around more Just got so busy with the fire dept. Buddy, Doug knows every inch of that hull if you need anymore help just ask him. I think he had Ron Brown on speed dial when he built his molds.

Thanks for the update Don, and I plan on picking Doug,s brain to death when I get started on the boat. But first the Renault has to get finished and painted :D :D .

Buddy, are you planning to replicate all of the issues they had that day...LoL

It is sad that there were injuries and loss of life that day, but I would love the chance to work on the Rescue boats again...Best seats in the house!!!

Don, thanks for posting that info...it's probably time IMPBA updated the online rulebook...the latest is the 2006 version.

Sounds like that day in Madison was as wild as Sunday was this year with the U-21 hitting a safety boat and the Oberto running over the Qatar after Villwock hooked in turn 2. What made this year worse is that one of the safety boat's crew was killed, one badly injured and the third taken to the hospital "just in case" because of the collision
HJ and others,,

Injuries...no deaths this year in Madison. Chris Cutshall was the most seriously injured of the rescue workers.

Here is a link to Chris's caring page link... HTTP://www.caringbridge.org/visit/chriscutshall/journal

Chris is making progress daily and loves to hear from all who is supporting him.

Dan

Hey Buddy,

I can't tell you how many times over the years I have seen someone build a model Scale boat without any reference photos of the particular hull he's attempting to model. I have always encouraged new Scale boaters to get as many pics of what they want to model as they could find before they even start building. If the hull is finished prior - I'll all but guarantee that Murphy's Law will ensure not one picture in the model's configuration - will be found. You should have some very good pics of the Madison race to show what the hull looked like during that three days in time.

After photos, making sure that the model fits within the tolerances of the Master Hull Roster is also most beneficial. I usually make sure that every hull I build will be legal for IMPBA, NAMBA, and R/C Unlimited rules. It is nice to have one hull to race any sanctioned event rather than one for each sanctioning activity - especially if you move around the country for a pesky thing like work.

Over the years I have been amazed at the blank looks I'd get when a Scale boater would attempt to register a hull for the first time. Most registrations require the main measurements of the real boat and also dimensions of the model. Blank real hull measurements on these forms is not a good sign for a Scale Director. When we pull out a Master Hull Roster to obtain these measurements - the boaters look of amazement is sometimes notable.

Master Hull Rosters are available on line from the R/C Unlimited or the NAMBA sites. They are both pretty much the same - thank goodness. The data base for each is relatively the same. Electric R/C Unlimited also has a Master Hull Roster available on their site.

Up to date Rule Books are also available from NAMBA and R/C Unlimiteds web sites. It will be most beneficial when IMPBA has an updated Rule Book available either on line, or in hard copy. Don F.'s post in this thread shows all the approved 1 year Trial revisions I believe. Seems to me that there was a proposal about parts falling off a boat and how points would be awarded for that event - but I don't know if it were approved or not.

Almost instantaneous responses are available for those that have questions through sites like IW. In this Day and Age - being uninformed is more difficult to understand by those of us that have enjoyed the Scale class for many years.

Good luck with your build Buddy. We'll enjoy seeing pics of your Renault also. CHEERS !!! Bob

In 2002 the T4 was pulled around and used as a SHOW BOAT. It did have a articulated full front wing to look more like the T5 and the T6.

It NEVER RAN ..... is this config.

This is a pic of Club member Gregs Bentley's DPS 1995 T4 hull from the 2011 Madison, In Race

gregs t4.jpg

"Whats it matter length and width that is all IMPBA looks at. And yes I have a bad attitude. Benedict build the boat like you know to do. It will be great !"

You don't want to have to be concerned by a pesky thing like a Rule Book. Based on Gales observation, you'll be limited to running the T-4 Bud in E Hydro in IMPBA, and C Hydro under NAMBA Rule Book. Jonathon. Don's and Doug's comments are "spot on" and good advice. CHEERS !!! Bob
I am not telling Jonathon to build an illegal boat. I am being facetious about a matter that occurred at the Nats,
Maybe a little Degree, and don't sweat it. Couldn't help myself.
tongue.gif
I still cannot understand why any one would attempt to disqualify my boat at the Nats. That boat meets all specifications by anybodys standards! Did you think that I was trying to make it the 2011 Degree boat? The pic clearly shows the boat that ran in 2010 at the sefair. Thats why I have that stupid salt water scoop on it!!

I want to continue this conversation about IMPBA scale rules but not on Buddy's post.

Thank you for all the information guys! I never thought I get this much information about scales with one little question. :p

Like my Dad said before. We plan to make the boat just like it ran in Madison.

Well if you can find a picture of it running on the water with a full canard on it you could build it that way according the NAMBA rule book. There used to be wording in the NAMBA rule book similar to the IMBPA rules about it being a verified sanctioned race either testing or qualifying but that has been changed apparently since my tenure as NAMBA Scale Chairman. I do remember dealing with an issue with this boat that involved the rear wing. The canard and winglets came up too. It was determined that the boat had to run WITH a rear wing since it originally started the race with one and they broke two of them through out the course of the race. Running without a wing was not an option as it was not done intentionally by the Bud team. Second, the canard wing was not legal to run as it was not seen as running with it on from any of the race footage. This was later confirmed in some emails I traded with Mark Evans as he was the one driving the boat the only time it ran. As for whether it qualified or ran in San Diego, it did not. In San Diego in 1995 Chip was driving the T3 in which he had a weird accident and broke the sponson off the boat and rolled it.
does this count? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw_nAC0hYLE

LOL

I only wish it had the scoop! that would be saweeeeeeeeeet!

So we all know the Bud frogs (at least anyone over 35) as far as I am concerned it is an endorsment from Bernie Little himself!

For me it is a toy, a toy that one day will eat a bouyie at 60+ mph.

Well if you can find a picture of it running on the water with a full canard on it you could build it that way according the NAMBA rule book. There used to be wording in the NAMBA rule book similar to the IMBPA rules about it being a verified sanctioned race either testing or qualifying but that has been changed apparently since my tenure as NAMBA Scale Chairman. I do remember dealing with an issue with this boat that involved the rear wing. The canard and winglets came up too. It was determined that the boat had to run WITH a rear wing since it originally started the race with one and they broke two of them through out the course of the race. Running without a wing was not an option as it was not done intentionally by the Bud team. Second, the canard wing was not legal to run as it was not seen as running with it on from any of the race footage. This was later confirmed in some emails I traded with Mark Evans as he was the one driving the boat the only time it ran. As for whether it qualified or ran in San Diego, it did not. In San Diego in 1995 Chip was driving the T3 in which he had a weird accident and broke the sponson off the boat and rolled it.

LOL

Awesome Bob!!! That,s video proof so I can run it that way now :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just Kidding

Buddy

LOL

Awesome Bob!!! That,s video proof so I can run it that way now :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just Kidding

Buddy
Great .... Now I will have guys showing up at the NW Scale Champ Race with frogs driving there Bud boats!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the original topic. The T4 never ran with a salt water scoop, it did not go on the water in San Diego as they were too busy sorting out the T2 which was rushed ito service when the T3 crashed in Seattle. It did,however run with the little front wings in Dallas. I am attaching a picture of it as it rolled into the pits. It did test there. I was there, in the pit tower, directing the fuel truck.

t4texas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back