STORM SERIES update

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Mic, Here it goes...

MOD VP, set up as pspec.... would it be considered to run for STORM? Going to start the build, and was looking at a option to something different. With 2 radio boxes, I could swap out and turn back into nitro easily..
Randy,

Funny Bill and I have had some conversations on classes at the Brandon Storm races. Charleston have established some already and they are a little tighter on time and established classes than we have to be. I talked about opening Mod Vp to mod motors a while back with Mark Poole but he felt it better left alone and it is his creation. I also remember the original purpose of open tunnel was a David and Goliath run anything and everything together but the .21's have not been involved much anymore. With the advent of Spec FE and not too expensive improvements we wanted to come up with a way all the smaller boats could compete in a run what you brung format that wouldn't be dominated by .45s and above. Bill made it simple just cut off at a length and if you overpower you just run faster to the scene of the accident. We decided to try any outboard power but hull lenght limited to 30" without cutting anything down. Want to run a .45 on a Lynx, go ahead see if you finish. Existing mod .21's should dominate but we have seen good running stockers win there. Point is how fast can you go with a basic .21 size hull? Any opinions or should we just run it and see where it goes. Just a thought maybe a beach start like Mod VP would be fun. This is intended to be a fun class giving guys a second place to run an existing boat or bring something novel out of the garage. No awards just bragging rights. So between heats bolt a mod on or FE that MOD VP and bring it.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
I will work to run Mark Poole's boat as a FE configuration this weekend as a "Lake X" project, I have all of the pspec lower, can, and box set up is this week. STORM could make ModVP nitro/fe, if it seems quicker, add weight. This will be a unique test, most likely this weekend at secret squirrel site. Make ModVP a .21/fe type open class, using pspec as the out of bounds for the powerplant. Or not... we will try the setup anyway. Pics coming as thread for build.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are not changing any existing points classes. This includes ModVP. What we are doing is adding an opportunity to get creative and have some fun. Classes will evolve and the numbers will tell what people want to support. If you look at the entry list so far the FE boats are comming. We are not requiring pre payment so if you know what your running sign up and others will know where the interest is. If you need to make changes later we want to be flexible. Building good competative outboard racing here in Florida and having a couple premier events is our goal. The district has many options and this is an oportunity to showcase outboards.

Mic

Can't wait to hear how the boat does with FE power. Watch the top end speed attitude of the boat Randy. I have never had one past around 42 mph. If the boat gets flighty do what I did a couple weeks ago on mine. I took 1/8" square stock and cut two pieces about an inch long and glued them in the front of the tunnels, not straight across but I followed the the angle at the front tunnel edge. This disturbes the air flow (or blocks airflow) in the front part of the tunnel and makes the boat tighten up without adding weight. It worked good.

I think 30 inch open is a cool idea since the choice (and high price) of stock motors is so limited. Expect to see more than one hull type out there too!

Electric is coming fast. Good to see how different hulls will handle it.

Back