STORM race ? Lack of interest.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTV Boats

After 4 or 5 phone conversations today with the working end of the STRA we are at the verge of just cancelling this race. One issue is there may be very little help to set up and run the race. Many key people have other commitments which does happen. That and right now with a week to go we have 11 racers and barely 5 classes. If there isn't enough interest in outboard racing so be it. I know entries come in at the last minute but if we don't have 20 or so racers it's kind of futile. And I don't see 10 more in a few days. We don't seem to be attracting out of area racers and doesn't seem to be local interest. At this point I see only heat racing on Sunday if at all. Saturday test and tune with 2 lap times at that point. We will give it until the deadline next Monday and hope but need to go or give people that have responded time to make other plans. Postponing to another date only moves the issue as we have so many conflicts in the district. This is the nicest weather all year to race in.

Mic

Yes, lot of event conflicts in this part of the country. But that is not all, look at the entries for the Spring Nats, looks like B tunnel and Open tunnel won't make the cut. Strangely, D tunnel has. WTC is 5 weeks off, driver count at 26 and Robin is the long hauler so far it looks like. Several years ago I saw the same faces at the Springs Nats, WTC and Grand Prix races. Sign of the times.

I am surprised by the lack of interested. I had alot of fun at the two races I attented last year. I hope several more racers sign up so this race happens.

Just look at the forums, kinda dead right now.... Not just boat forums either...
VERY WELL SAID !!!! It's not that we don't have any entress it's just HARD RIGHT NOW. :) Hell it don't look like Tony will even be able to make the World Champs cause of work. :( :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Just look at the forums, kinda dead right now.... Not just boat forums either...
VERY WELL SAID !!!! It's not that we don't have any entress it's just HARD RIGHT NOW. :) Hell it don't look like Tony will even be able to make the World Champs cause of work. :( :(
I understand the economy is going to affect long distance travel. As for inactivity all I have seen on here is Winternationals,Atlanta,Sowega and Twin shootouts with people traveling no problem. This race isn't even drawing local people with less than an hours drive and no lodging costs. Add, that within an hour of Brandon is the largest tunnel boat area in the country. As I said if tunnels are on the way out so be it. Message recieved! We all will make our persoal choices.

Mic

Im working on a few to sign up. I hope it gets going. Will be a blast even if its a small turn out. Not to mention I've been working on the 4th generation. Mod VP. To play with the v bottom king.

I think this race was set too close the Tunnel Champs. If they were thinking of coming, they probably figured to wait and go to the big race. There are some guys who live right down the road, but are saving there stuff for that race, and there are quite a few around this area who have tunnel's that just don't come. I don't get it. This by far the coolest coarse we get to drive all year

I think this race was set too close the Tunnel Champs. If they were thinking of coming, they probably figured to wait and go to the big race. There are some guys who live right down the road, but are saving there stuff for that race, and there are quite a few around this area who have tunnel's that just don't come. I don't get it. This by far the coolest coarse we get to drive all year

Mic,

Haven't had a chance to return yesterdays call. Shawn nailed it. BMB has too many people out of town that weekend. We would be better suited to place it sometime after WTC. I am scrambling to just make Chuckytown, started new job, moved in the process, still have to find test time....

RP

Mic,

Haven't had a chance to return yesterdays call. Shawn nailed it. BMB has too many people out of town that weekend. We would be better suited to place it sometime after WTC. I am scrambling to just make Chuckytown, started new job, moved in the process, still have to find test time....

RP
I talked briefly with a few guys after the race Sunday and have to say thats the case. I thought about offering to take the PA and Clock stuff- but frankly Mic- I have never set it up alone and the thought of screwing something up I didnt like .
sad.gif
I love the series and the course at Brandon, lets not let it die here.

Andy

I wanted to schedule this race earlier but we had to work around the then Tampa 2 day race, WCRA and the Brandon 2 day. I would hate to waste the nice spring weather and push for a miserable June race. For those saving equipment we did the best we could giving a 4 week space until the WTC. Remember scheduling has to take place months ahead of time and no one knew or gave any indication most of the BMBC was committed elsewhere. More than once we have all had the conversation why we drive 400 plus miles to race each other. For now if the guys signed up want to just make it a go please PM me as we don't need any more discussion on here as it doesn't help the cause. With so few signed up it takes 2 or 3 no shows and the wheels are off the wagon.

Mic

I wanted to schedule this race earlier but we had to work around the then Tampa 2 day race, WCRA and the Brandon 2 day. I would hate to waste the nice spring weather and push for a miserable June race. For those saving equipment we did the best we could giving a 4 week space until the WTC. Remember scheduling has to take place months ahead of time and no one knew or gave any indication most of the BMBC was committed elsewhere. More than once we have all had the conversation why we drive 400 plus miles to race each other. For now if the guys signed up want to just make it a go please PM me as we don't need any more discussion on here as it doesn't help the cause. With so few signed up it takes 2 or 3 no shows and the wheels are off the wagon.

Mic
I'm in just tell me where to sign

Looks like most everyone wants this race to happen. I surely do not want to dissapoint the faithful who have stepped up so far. Tryng to accomodate a few people and with the not quite so large turnout, with no objections we will just run heats on Sunday. Saturday still on for lap times and open water. Pres Hearl is catching a "red eye" late Saturday out of Nevada (Mustang Ranch?) so we hope he will be awake and ready to race. One thing to keep in mind is if we have a 7-8 boat heat, with pit people we may not have a CD left over. Going to get creative so bring friends as those running one boat will be at a premium. Well all have fun on the Tri-oval and make it a good day. Actually some good heats lining up right now but only 6 classes. For those going on to WTC will be a great tune-up.

Mic

Yes, lot of event conflicts in this part of the country. But that is not all, look at the entries for the Spring Nats, looks like B tunnel and Open tunnel won't make the cut. Strangely, D tunnel has. WTC is 5 weeks off, driver count at 26 and Robin is the long hauler so far it looks like. Several years ago I saw the same faces at the Springs Nats, WTC and Grand Prix races. Sign of the times.
not the long hauler anymore, mark. looks like gary geiselman is making the hike down, must be missin' the kensill's :lol: . actually, never was the long hauler, we're forgetting shane from bermuda......

he didn't race at the fall nats either, but both he & karen showed up to watch & visit with their friends - hope they make it up for the wtc, be good to say hi to them.

Looks like most everyone wants this race to happen. I surely do not want to dissapoint the faithful who have stepped up so far. Tryng to accomodate a few people and with the not quite so large turnout, with no objections we will just run heats on Sunday. Saturday still on for lap times and open water. Pres Hearl is catching a "red eye" late Saturday out of Nevada (Mustang Ranch?) so we hope he will be awake and ready to race. One thing to keep in mind is if we have a 7-8 boat heat, with pit people we may not have a CD left over. Going to get creative so bring friends as those running one boat will be at a premium. Well all have fun on the Tri-oval and make it a good day. Actually some good heats lining up right now but only 6 classes. For those going on to WTC will be a great tune-up.

Mic
I'm only running ModVP Mic, so if you can deal with a rookie CD , I will be glad to help out calling some heats .
wink.gif

May only be there Sunday also though.

Looking forward to seeing you Bill, glad your coming. Where's Foley ??????

Andy

Latest posts

Back