STORM race ? Lack of interest.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike

It's, Balls to the wall.

Dave Roach

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike

It's, Balls to the wall.

Dave Roach

And PRAY you draw an outside or inside card
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

Maybe we should consider using the half mill buoy as the point - then off to the Tri-Oval ??? Its still a pretty straight shot out and may spell for a little less carnage
rolleyes.gif

I got a real bad feeling my poor old OMC isnt gonna make it through the weekend, LOL
ph34r.gif

Andy

We did Lemans starts off the dock when I raced in Sweden a couple times... It was probably the most fun I have had racing tunnels. Your set-up/prop choice changes completely, and its a whole lotta fun. All the boats had 1 minute to get started, then the pitmen would hold the running boats about 6 inches above the water at the edge of the dock, when the pit boss dropped the flag (within 15 seconds), pit guy put the boat in the water and it was balls to the wall to the first pin....

I cant tell you this for certain, if you have any cavitation at all... it wont work for this kinda racing! This class would be IDEAL for this type of start. Its a LOT of fun. We ran on a triangular course, and when the boats hit the water from the dock, you drove up the center of the course straight out and to the top pin, then we all ran the normal course around the triangle.

I like the idea of lemans start because there is no mill, you launch and you are racing. No need for a costly clock. Only problem, if your boat shuts off it can be tough retrieving it for a refire especially since it gets launched straight out. Basically it comes down to everyone is playing by the same rules and the same set of challenges. Maybe have an extra long retrieve stick so there is a chance of getting a boat refired so it can at least put some points on the board.

All of the lifsize OPC races are lemans start. If your engine sneezes then you play catch up. Sounds like fun.

Why not have a qualifying round on saturday? You could use the 2 lap time trial. Whom ever has the fastest time gets the first choice on starting position working your way down to the last boat. Then after the first heat, the first place driver gets first choice on starting position and so on.

At some point I would like to see a two lap competition figured in scoring and qualifying for position is a true racing tradition boats and cars. Would mean everyone would have to show up on Saturday. Not this year but in the future. I know Jay and I will be there Saturday gettting valuable lap time information and now practicing launching Mod-VP's. The old saying "be careful what you ask for" sometimes bites you in the A##.

As for adding to the excitement Mod-VPers seem to be the "Jack-Ass" guys in the hobby in this crowd. Well Brandon brought you the Tr-Oval, now possibly "beach starts", no one can say were not in this for fun competition. FE guys your boats would be a natural for beach starts. We could make a PVC pipe gate like horse racing. Or bring your own "U" shaped holder for your pit guy. Too much thinking lets get racin.

Mic

Hey if you think the race off the shore to the pin will be exciting how about the pit persons race to the drives stand. I forsee bodies flying off the stairs. Rubbins racing may take a whole new meaning. U-Tube here we come!

ModVPers seem to be the "Jack Ass" guys?? SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!!! :lol: :lol:

I always think outside the box so trying these new things is a go with me. Some tweaking may be needed but you won't find out if ya never try. Just like the night racing.

We did Lemans starts off the dock when I raced in Sweden a couple times... It was probably the most fun I have had racing tunnels. Your set-up/prop choice changes completely, and its a whole lotta fun. All the boats had 1 minute to get started, then the pitmen would hold the running boats about 6 inches above the water at the edge of the dock, when the pit boss dropped the flag (within 15 seconds), pit guy put the boat in the water and it was balls to the wall to the first pin....

I cant tell you this for certain, if you have any cavitation at all... it wont work for this kinda racing! This class would be IDEAL for this type of start. Its a LOT of fun. We ran on a triangular course, and when the boats hit the water from the dock, you drove up the center of the course straight out and to the top pin, then we all ran the normal course around the triangle.
I did a Le Mans start once at the Polar Bear in Indianapolis. They put a bouy about 600 ft from shore in the backstretch. We launched from the bank, ran to that bouy, then around 4,5,6 and took the start. It was really fun!

ModVPers seem to be the "Jack Ass" guys?? SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!!! :lol: :lol:

I always think outside the box so trying these new things is a go with me. Some tweaking may be needed but you won't find out if ya never try. Just like the night racing.
I missed getting a chance to night race at Sowega when Kayti got sick-
sad.gif

but from what I saw at open water on Friday night-

I HAVE TO DO IT
cool.gif

I love the fresh ideas ,it makes a class like this really really fun
wink.gif

Andy

I think have your pit man hold your boat just above the water and have a flag or hand drop start, and run to bouy 6, keep everyone as far left on the beach as we can for the start and have a draw for starting spot. Running straight out to the tri-oval will be a hard right hand turn that may take out most of the field. cutting across the course to the right is more like they do the full size boat races except it would be to the left because they go around the course counter clock wise. You could invert the field for the second heat winner starts last. Just some thoughts.

Maybe those interested will be there Saturday afternoon and we can try a few mock starts and see how it works. I think I'll pick up a portable air horn and the CD can use it somewhere in the last 5 seconds of the countdown. That way pit men consentrate on holding and launching and will all be able to hear the horn rather than a flagman which in full size is out on the course. As to where we go to thats to debate. Going straight out everyone can see their line and it will string out and not everyone will get there at the same time so it wont be as crowded as you think. Going to the right for the 5-10 turn the two first boats have a real advantage not just being closer to the bouy. If they go out straight at less an angle they shove the whole field further into the infield really pinching things off. Jay,Shawn and I have done these starts full size and know what the car wash is. Heading vertical off the beach the outside boats pinch in also but the faster accelerating inside boat may be ahead by then from any lane. Going to the right the far left boats have almost no chance to get to the pin first. No matter what we decide it will be fun. Just don't want to take up Sunday morning delaying the race. Speak up here or Saturday afternoon.

Mic

I am going to run my boats early sat. morning here at our pond then drive down. I might be there in time to catch you guys at the pond. I'll do a couple of launch and run outs here and see what it looks like. Now, the first time across the start line is "zero" lap correct? Next time around is lap one I would think?

I am going to run my boats early sat. morning here at our pond then drive down. I might be there in time to catch you guys at the pond. I'll do a couple of launch and run outs here and see what it looks like. Now, the first time across the start line is "zero" lap correct? Next time around is lap one I would think?

Thats how we did it Mark...

I drew up a rough sketch of the course trying to get an idea of how an 8 boat start would work out.

On paper, it really doesnt
rolleyes.gif

The problem being is our Tri-Oval point buoy sits a good bit left of the center of the course ( that the launch is also centered on). And there are the small floats for the start clock lines to contend with ( although small- in the way) . If you drew a line from the #1 position and the #8 (if 1 thru 8 where left to right) to the tri oval point buoy, it makes for a nasty wedge, pretty much anyone starting in p5 or lower is in a bad spot.
blink.gif

That said, Randy and I where talking and wanted to toss this out there.
rolleyes.gif

We divide the 8 boats into 2/ 4 boat heats. Run 4 rounds of each, the 5th round would be the top 4 finishers from the previous rounds.

The remaining boats run a LCQ round and the winner advancing to the Final round with the top 4 boats for a 5 boat heat to win it all ?????

1) It makes the issue of everyone getting started on time and to the bank easier.

2) It makes the launch area a little safer.

3) It will make the racing (IMHO) better because the need for points is higher- and the racing lanes bigger for a LeMans start.

There ya have it, lets here what ya think.
wink.gif

Andy

Hope you girls tuned up your Mod Vp's , its gonna be BIG FUN !!!!!

Final test at the secret lake went WELL
ph34r.gif

Mr.Mason I hope you bring the video equipment
blink.gif

See you ladys in the am
wink.gif

Andy

Back