stock outboard tunnel engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keevan Inouye

Is it legal to drill a small hole in the OS outboard to lubricate the top bearing?

The K&B has one but not the OS. Legal by NAMBA and IMPBA rules?

Keevan,

Sorry. It seems everyone is avoiding your question like the plague!!!!!......lol

Under the current NAMBA and IMPBA sport/stock rules, you are not allowed to drill an oil hole in the front of the housing. If you run it in the standard 20 tunnel classes with the mod engines, you will be fine. Let me know if I can help you in any way. Thanks...... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Keevan,

Sorry. It seems everyone is avoiding your question like the plague!!!!!......lol

Under the current NAMBA and IMPBA sport/stock rules, you are not allowed to drill an oil hole in the front of the housing. If you run it in the standard 20 tunnel classes with the mod engines, you will be fine. Let me know if I can help you in any way. Thanks...... :)
SO that said , and your right about the plague Ron- but someone has to ask ;)

Is the same question/response going to apply to the proposed IMPBA rules ?

Andy

Thanks Ron for responding!

I thought that it would not be allowed but just wanted to confirm.

Thought that it might be allowed because it might prolong the life

of the top bearing and not really increase performance.

keevan

In my experience those oil holes that feed the front race actually cost torque. I've blocked them off in many engines. Front bearings often fail due to the way the engines are started or flushed / stored, not from lack of lube while running.

In my experience those oil holes that feed the front race actually cost torque. I've blocked them off in many engines. Front bearings often fail due to the way the engines are started or flushed / stored, not from lack of lube while running.
Totally agree

I pull the seals out of the bearing ( allowed ). Each day I squirt some oil undwr the flywheel. Seems to get in there just fine
Greg is spot on, as well as the others. Keep that top bearing oiled between runs, and before storage, by holding the engine sideways and rotating flywheel, and allowing the oil to seep between the flywheel and bearing, and you will be good to go.

Back