Steve Reesor's FE4 Out rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanN

I had the pleasure of pitting for my buddy Steve Reesor driving his own build and design FE4 rigger this past weekend. It is an understatement to say he blew away the competion. 4 perfect rounds so why bother with the 5th? :lol:

Bad move on Steve's part.

Beat them like a rented donkey first time out and they won't let you come back to play!!

Awesome build. Nasty fast!! I love it!!!

I got to get up there to see Steve's boats in person, maybe that will light a fire under my butt and get me motivated to getting my hulls done.

TORE IT UP!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a closer shot of Steve's boat........

2007GasNats049.jpg

Hi Ron,

That was last years boat at Celina. The boat in the video is a new boat I designed last X-mas. Different sponson design, tub, rears...etc. This years boat is 4" longer, slightly wider. It uses a Castle speed controller instead of the Schulze which solved a couple of problems for me. Firstly it is smoother on start up (no cogging), and more importantly it does not exhibit the major problem I had last year in Celina (low throttle speed control shut down). That shut-down tendency caused me all sorts of problems on mill at the starts...this years boat does not do that.

Secondly, this years boat uses a Lehner 3040 motor instead of the Lehner 2280 I used last year. This motor is the same rpm/volt as I used last year but is much larger in diameter. This motor has more torque, and a much improved capacity to dissipate heat, which translates into a more reliable set-up. The cells were upgraded to 30C 4500's from FlightPower, over the 3700's I ran last year. All of this translates into a boat which can swing a bigger wheel.

This set-up prefers a prop with an aspect ratio like the old style ABC props. Specifically a 60x76 (cut down slightly and cupped). The speed of this boat is much greater than last years boat. It handles better than last years design as well.

In fairness to the twin in the video, the owner (Tim Kish) is still inthe set-up stage with his boat. Tim is a great boater and his twin will be much faster next time out. I also had a great pit man at the London race (Alan Nayman) which makes a big difference when running this fast.

There is more in the boat, and my goal remains the same as when I designed it: design a reliable 90 mph heat racing boat.

Steve Reesor

Very nicely set-up , runs fast and stable , it really makes you think about retireing the nitro engines :rolleyes:

Steve what is the all up weight of this set-up ?

Jason

Steve , thats a great looking rigger .. i remeber you guys when i visit celina with the 2 other boys from Europe . i was very impressed with your mono.s in the open mono class .. i need to talk with you about a electric mono . .i feel a lot for a electrified Lazer boat .. your mono.s rocked there , i am sure you can help me out with the right choises ..

best regards , Jeroen Pasman , The Netherlands

Hey Jeroen,

Hope all is well across the pond.

Steve's current rigger puts last years to shame.

Hi Ron,
That was last years boat at Celina. The boat in the video is a new boat I designed last X-mas. Different sponson design, tub, rears...etc. This years boat is 4" longer, slightly wider. It uses a Castle speed controller instead of the Schulze which solved a couple of problems for me. Firstly it is smoother on start up (no cogging), and more importantly it does not exhibit the major problem I had last year in Celina (low throttle speed control shut down). That shut-down tendency caused me all sorts of problems on mill at the starts...this years boat does not do that.

Secondly, this years boat uses a Lehner 3040 motor instead of the Lehner 2280 I used last year. This motor is the same rpm/volt as I used last year but is much larger in diameter. This motor has more torque, and a much improved capacity to dissipate heat, which translates into a more reliable set-up. The cells were upgraded to 30C 4500's from FlightPower, over the 3700's I ran last year. All of this translates into a boat which can swing a bigger wheel.

This set-up prefers a prop with an aspect ratio like the old style ABC props. Specifically a 60x76 (cut down slightly and cupped). The speed of this boat is much greater than last years boat. It handles better than last years design as well.

In fairness to the twin in the video, the owner (Tim Kish) is still inthe set-up stage with his boat. Tim is a great boater and his twin will be much faster next time out. I also had a great pit man at the London race (Alan Nayman) which makes a big difference when running this fast.

There is more in the boat, and my goal remains the same as when I designed it: design a reliable 90 mph heat racing boat.

Steve Reesor
What does it take to set up a full size gas style rigger for FE.I have a small 26 in going now but looking tward a full size probely gona mimic a Midwest missel sponsons and bottom of tub.saw the video of this and was blown away.Motor, esc ,batts I assume you use 1/4 in drive and hardware?

Thanks Jake

Back